Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
BrokeLoser

Has anyound installed a Humminbird HDSI transducer?

Its a pretty large ducer and it won't fit where my old Di ducer did for a shoot-through application.

Pro Angler 14
Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
TJones

Do you have pics ?

Of transducer. I had an 898 si . It had a very big transducer . I mounted multiple ways . In hull , mad frog , I even glued it to bottom of yak which was the best way . Although this created transportation issues . I finally gave up and sold unit . This transducer is similar to lss2 . It needs to be in water and a free line of sight for side imaging to work . Hope this helps some .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Of transducer. I had an 898 si . It had a very big transducer . I mounted multiple ways . In hull , mad frog , I even glued it to bottom of yak which was the best way . Although this created transportation issues . I finally gave up and sold unit . This transducer is similar to lss2 . It needs to be in water and a free line of sight for side imaging to work . Hope this helps some .
I'll post pics when I get home. This is the HdSi ducer for a 999. I thought I read on here somewhere that someone installed one in the hull at the front of the bow and was reporting good results. I couldn't find it in a search...Hmmm
Thanks for the help
Old 03-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
TJones

Update

Same transducer . What I would recommend is checking out the deployable arm from ram . You can see videos on you tube if you google LSS 2 on pro angler . Ram makes a mount that Can clamp to back handle of PA . This will put the transducer in water below the hull line of kayak . The only negative of this type of mount , Is that it creates drag . Also debris such as kelp could get hung on to it . Great unit , but not really suited for kayaks . Of course PA is borderline of a small boat .

Last edited by TJones; 03-24-2015 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
TJones

Si disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I'll post pics when I get home. This is the HdSi ducer for a 999. I thought I read on here somewhere that someone installed one in the hull at the front of the bow and was reporting good results. I couldn't find it in a search...Hmmm
Thanks for the help
On deployable arm ? The head unit is very powerful , probably the only one decent other than the higher models . Side imaging and down imaging will be negated if the transducer is not directly in water . Hope this info held .
Old 03-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
TJones

Lss2 mount from ram

Maybe modifying this mount to accomidate hummingbird transducer .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (2.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #7
TJones

They also sell

A 1 inch ball that has a u bolt to attach directly to back bar of PA .
Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Same transducer . What I would recommend is checking out the deployable arm from ram . You can see videos on you tube if you google LSS 2 on pro angler . Ram makes a mount that Can clamp to back handle of PA . This will put the transducer in water below the hull line of kayak . The only negative of this type of mount , Is that it creates drag . Also debris such as kelp could get hung on to it . Great unit , but not really suited for kayaks . Of course PA is borderline of a small boat .
Man, I'm such an idiot. The other thread I thought I saw here I actually started here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=26&t=54051
There is guy there saying that the Si works while mounted as a shoot through...Did you ever try yours as a shoot through?
I'd really like to avoid mounting anything on the outside of the yak; if it won't work I'll just mount my Di ducer shoot through and use my 959 on the PA.

Thanks again
Old 03-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #9
TJones

I tried it

Wet , dry , you name . It has to be in water . Side imaging shoots a razor thin beam and it has to be free from any obstructions . I personally did not like hanging anything over kayak myself .That's when I glued it to bottom of revolution . There was a recessed spot on bottom that worked well. I had to be careful when loading and unloading kayak . It was not exactly level either , which is not recommended . At that point I had enough , and I grabbed a lowrance ready hobie . I have been using lowrance since then , and have not looked back . That unit is B A though. Blows away any of the seven or five series units. Good luck .
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
TJones

I remember a post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Man, I'm such an idiot. The other thread I thought I saw here I actually started here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=26&t=54051
There is guy there saying that the Si works while mounted as a shoot through...Did you ever try yours as a shoot through?
I'd really like to avoid mounting anything on the outside of the yak; if it won't work I'll just mount my Di ducer shoot through and use my 959 on the PA.

Thanks again
Of someone saying they did a shoot through and everything worked great . What a load of b.s. .
Old 03-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
fishingfiend

I'm with TJones, I also call BS that it worked through the hull. I did a lot of testing before settling on this setup. The transducer needs be almost fully exposed to work properly.

fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote