Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Lightbulb Rod/Reel Choice

So the choices for Reels and Rod/Reel set ups seems to be endless, and while on a budget narrowing it down to a couple choices is still pretty relentless! I am looking to purchase a new set up, primarily used for Trolling on the kayak, I have always used Spinning reels, but never put much more though into it than that; is it worth venturing out and getting a bait caster or some other type of fancy reel? Along with trolling, am looking for something that can also be versatile and throw a lure some ways while i'm sitting in the Kayak.. I have been looking into Shimano and like what they offer. I am going to FH Sat. or Sun, and Saw the ads for Daiwa and Turners so I know there will be killer deals, and informative sales reps, I would just would like to know a little more in advance. All information is greatly appreciated
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
surfisher

You can't beat a Daiwa sealine 30 for the kayak. The reel is cheap and an absolute tank, holds plenty of braid, and will handle any fish you come across. It has a great free-spool and works for both bait and throwing iron/jigs. Throw it on a californian stick (same blanks as a phenix rod) from turners and your set.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
You can't beat a Daiwa sealine 30 for the kayak. The reel is cheap and an absolute tank, holds plenty of braid, and will handle any fish you come across. It has a great free-spool and works for both bait and throwing iron/jigs. Throw it on a californian stick (same blanks as a phenix rod) from turners and your set.
Just saw a youtube video of someone cranking that model! Should have added that I was planning on using 50-65lb braided to mono or fluoro leader so perfect.. Thanks!!
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
I'm a Daiwa Sealine 20 guy. The best reel to keep out the salt and sand. Just not a higher speed reel but that's not my deal anyways. The turners Californian rods will be 30% off at FH. Just can't beat that price and decent quality.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I'm a Daiwa Sealine 20 guy. The best reel to keep out the salt and sand. Just not a higher speed reel but that's not my deal anyways. The turners Californian rods will be 30% off at FH. Just can't beat that price and decent quality.
Yup! I like the 20's too, the narrower spool is nice. OP definitely head to turners at FH to check out the Californian sticks, at 30% off you can get yourself a deal!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
maquinapescado

Writing way to much on the subject but..............2 cents

I'm slowly going all lever drag. I really like the Penn Fathom Lever Drags, specifically the two speed but the single speed is great too. You can get the 25N singles for $40-60 more than a Sealine (also a great reel) from Amazon or don't forget your "Local guy".

I like the lever drag because you can always make drag adjustments that are super dangerous to do with a star drag. You can back the drag off if needed and return it to full knowing you won't over set your drag.

Go on a party boat and need to fix a rail disaster a.k.a. tangle, back it off, fix the tangle, and go back to fighting. I had an instance where I noticed the insert of the eye at the tip of my rod popped out and the guide was fraying my line, backed it off without over doing it, landed the fish. Want to use a donkey sized mac for bait, slightly engage the lever drag to keep the bait from running but just enough to let a fish take the bait and run. You can't beat the versatility of 30+ lbs. of drag either.

On the flip side, I know guys who have been fishing for over 25yrs as well and they hate lever drags.

As far as rods go, kayaking beats all your gear up and I am switching everything to stainless steel (SS) without inserts. The SS guides are difficult to bend and can get stuffed into rod tubes and smack the side of your kayak without popping inserts. Also, I am weaning off the graphite as well.

Sorry for the tutorial guys, I'm trying to justify my expenditures. And my stock portfolio will appreciate your Amazon purchases
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
taggermike

If youre used to spinners there are good ones with live liner or bait runner features that will work well. And cast great too. And save you a learning curve if you're used to conventional reels.

I don't prefer spinners on a kayak. I fight bigger fish from a yak with the rod very low or even rail rod style. Holding the rod so low causes the spinning bail to hit my legs.

The daiwa sealines are great reels. As are the Shimano tld's. If you're sort of experimenting with a conventional some thing like a Penn 500 or jig master will work fine.

Like another poster said, lever drags can be the way to go for trolling live macs. I've been using a Shimano TLD 15 lever drag for a couple years and I'll never troll with a star drag again. Many lever drags cast well but I don't think I've ever cast mine actually, just dropped weighted rigs to the bottom or set the Mac in the water n paddled away to drop it back. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #8
EastLosYaker

Picked up another tld 15 and a calatar rod from fishaholic for a great price after the show on Wednesday. He'll be back at Fred Hall on Saturday. Pm him if your looking for something specific to make sure he brings in with him.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rod and reel choice