Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
MAG BAY 2019 10 August to 24 August

Last year this trip got canceled due to a bone infection which caused the amputation of my left foot. This is an OPEN trip/caravan to Mag Bay. Mostly we will fish the inside with light tackle. Beach camp and probabally comunity meals for breakfast and dinner. I am bringing both an 8wt and a 10 weight fly rods, maybe a 5 wt too. A 15-20 pound spinning setup and a heaver rod in case we get a window to fish outside the bay.

We will leave San Diego on the 10th of August and head south. Not sure the route yet, Maybe non stop to Asuncion for the first night. That is between 12-13 hours most times. Stopping for fuel in El Rosario and a meal and fuel in Jesus Maria. Then on to Asuncion for maybe a stop at Rossmans for a resupply for things he cannot get down there. Good coffee beans, a real steak or two, american chicken, and a few Salas 6x jrs and megabaits for sure.

Second morning off to Mag Bay. This is an open trip and moore information is to be found on our Facebook page, "Mako-ville". Please ask your questions
there, thanks guys Tight Lines.

ALL my trips for 2019 can be found on our Facebook page.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
I'm considering it again. Trying to get my van set up to haul extra ULSD so I can make the trip. Last place to have it is Jesus Maria so I got to do some figuring then Insurance will be a lot. For those who have never fished mag bay, your not alone. Not to many have done what Bob is trying to do. This is a great opportunity to fish a really wild place. I would love to fish it again its been many, many years. One of the most memorable trips I have done in Baja. Its and adventure for sure.

Steve
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishinsteve64 View Post
I'm considering it again. Trying to get my van set up to haul extra ULSD so I can make the trip. Last place to have it is Jesus Maria so I got to do some figuring then Insurance will be a lot. For those who have never fished mag bay, your not alone. Not to many have done what Bob is trying to do. This is a great opportunity to fish a really wild place. I would love to fish it again its been many, many years. One of the most memorable trips I have done in Baja. Its and adventure for sure.

Steve

What year is your van?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:

Steve
So Steve last year we did the Asuncion trip, I topped off at Jesus Maria. We fished Asuncion for over a week. The new fuel station in Asuncion has a sticker on the pump as ULSD. I filled there before returning to the states. I refilled in Gonzaga to bet me all the way home. I did notice thet I seemed to use a little moore DEF for about a month. No other issues. Cannot guarantee it is ULSD buy it ran fine in my 2015 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton 4x4 and we were towing a small boat with all gear for three. Check out some of the other Baja sites about ULSD in BAJA, many stories. BTW I have 6 5-6 gallon containers you could borrow.
This was the second time I made the same trip with that Dodge Ram, and we got 15 miles to the gallon on that trip.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 02-13-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
flyfishinsteve64

I think you can get away without using ULSD but I don't think the system likes it. I also don't think my sprinter likes having 7.5 liters to much oil put in the motor but that's what you get when you have a highly trained Mercedes technician changes your oil. True story. El Cajon Mercedes if your wondering. Sorry still a little sore about that one.

Thanks for the offer on the fuel cans. I may take you up on a couple. I'm getting a couple new swing bumpers. One for a large box and the other for a spare tire. The box will have a rack on top to hold 3-4 cans. With 3 cans my safe range would be 600 miles. That should be close I think. I need to look at a map.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
I think you can get away without using ULSD but I don't think the system likes it. I also don't think my sprinter likes having 7.5 liters to much oil put in the motor but that's what you get when you have a highly trained Mercedes technician changes your oil. True story. El Cajon Mercedes if your wondering. Sorry still a little sore about that one.

Thanks for the offer on the fuel cans. I may take you up on a couple. I'm getting a couple new swing bumpers. One for a large box and the other for a spare tire. The box will have a rack on top to hold 3-4 cans. With 3 cans my safe range would be 600 miles. That should be close I think. I need to look at a map.

I asked what year your van is because if it’s like pre 07-08 it’s fine. All they did with ULSD was lower the lubricity of the fuel which is a bad thing. 07+ trucks are more sensitive. But high sulfur fuel is actually better for a fuel system.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
flyfishinsteve64

2017 didn't catch your post the first time
Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
2017 didn't catch your post the first time

Gotcha
Old 03-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
flyfishinsteve64

Bump
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Bump
Steve, I am doing this trip even if I have to do it ALONE. At 71 this June I do not have the luxury to wait until next year or the year after. Got to get it done THIS year, while I still have the mobility and strength to do it. You snooze, you loose. I plan on taking both the Scout 430 and the Hobie i11s. That should give me the best of both worlds. I can even sleep in the Scout if I let air out of the floor.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
flyfishinsteve64

Me and you Bob Worst case. I sent you a message, I'm In for sure. I will be filling out the vacation slip shortly. I'm with you we only get so many chances in life. I have your back were going to get er done

Steve
Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #12
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Me and you Bob Worst case. I sent you a message, I'm In for sure. I will be filling out the vacation slip shortly. I'm with you we only get so many chances in life. I have your back were going to get er done

Steve
True that we will get it done.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #13
flyfishinsteve64

I'm reading on Baja Nomads that they have ULSD down in La Paz now. This is great news. Also I found a place in Santee that installs auxiliary fuel tanks on sprinter vans $2200.00 for a 20 gal. tank , $2200.00 14 gal. tank and I think $3500.00 for a 35 gal. tank. The 20gal. tank will go on one side of the van the 14 on the other side and the 35 gal. go's where spare tire is. These are great options. I have been told recently that nobody did extra fuel tanks anymore so I kinda gave up. If they can get them made for sprinters, they may make tanks for other vehicles.

https://agileoffroad.com/

Bajanomads.com
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #14
penak
Banned

That's interesting!
penak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #15
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
I'm reading on Baja Nomads that they have ULSD down in La Paz now. This is great news. Also I found a place in Santee that installs auxiliary fuel tanks on sprinter vans $2200.00 for a 20 gal. tank , $2200.00 14 gal. tank and I think $3500.00 for a 35 gal. tank. The 20gal. tank will go on one side of the van the 14 on the other side and the 35 gal. go's where spare tire is. These are great options. I have been told recently that nobody did extra fuel tanks anymore so I kinda gave up. If they can get them made for sprinters, they may make tanks for other vehicles.

https://agileoffroad.com/

Bajanomads.com
Steve I am glad you got the fuel thing worked out. This will be a great trip and the right time of the year to stay away from the hottest month in the Sea of Cortez. Now it would be great if another person or two jumped on to the boat. HOWEVER August can be a great month in SoCal too, specially if this does turn into another El Nino.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN