Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
fishkiller89
Junior

Send a message via AIM to fishkiller89 Send a message via Yahoo to fishkiller89
hooks ?

what type of hook do you prefer to use while yellowtail fishing and white sea bass fishing on the yak ? and what size do you recomend for the local macs ? i have currently been using the 1/0 j hook and done okay with it but i really havent hooked into anything that is that big yet. any info helps. thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
woolybugger

I use 2/0- 4/0 ringed owner flyliners for macks
Old 06-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
FnJim

I use 2/0- 4/0 ringed owner flyliners for macks

I was wondering about ringed hooks. Do ringed hooks give a more natural swiming action than non-ringed hooks. Or what is the advantages of ringed hooks?

btw, I use 1/0 to 2/0 Circle hooks, depending on the size of the mack being used. It seems that I have lost some live bait on J-hooks because live bait somehow finds their way out of J-hooks, not frequently but I have lost bait that way before. Circle hooks seems to keep the bait on.
FnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
DBITE

Ringed hooks give the bait a more natural presentation. They also help when you hook a fish by reducing the amount of leverage a fish can put on the hook. I started using circle hooks for the first time this past offshore season for better hookups on the hard mouths of dorado. Worked great for putting the hook in the corner of the mouth on both dorado and yellowtail so now I use them on the kayak. I would recommend using a slightly larger circle hook size than you would on a j hook. This is especially true for white seabass. I still use a 2/0 ringed mutu circle for yellowtail.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
fishkiller89
Junior

thanks for all your info. i have tried using circle hooks in the past but i had a difficult time threading the mac on the hook. is this common or was i just not doing something right ?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
DBITE

Quote:
thanks for all your info. i have tried using circle hooks in the past but i had a difficult time threading the mac on the hook. is this common or was i just not doing something right ?
That's why I like to use a bigger circle hook than I would J hook. The larger the circle hook the bigger the gap between the point and the shank. For bigger macs you should use a bigger circle. It's a good idea to carry circles from 1/0 to 5/0 so you can match it to the bait. Also, using too small of a circle on a big bait may result in the hook embedding in the mac and the loss of a fish.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
fishkiller89
Junior

thanks for all your help guys, hopefully it will help me to catch more fish now.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
taggermike

I've had good success using Owner light wire super mutus in 2/0-4/0. I skip the ring part and just tie a baldy or perfection loop knot. That way the hook swings freely in a loop. I've pretty much gotten away from J hooks on the yak. I don't want to have a big hook set on the yak. Just put the reel in gear and let the fish do the work. Macs can be a pain to get on a hook some times. I used to hook them across the nose like a sardine but after most of them ended up with the hook turned around and burried in their eye or head I changed hooking methods. I now hook all macks, dines, and smelt up through the top of the mouth so the hook goes in the mouth and out the top of the nose. The bait can still respire and I have found the hook gets reversed much less often. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote