Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
KennyHill

curiosity question

I no the ray is not a targeted speicies. but most people who fish will eventually hook into one. and ive always wondered how they taste? i would assume there just tough and chewy. Anybody out there ever try it? (just curios)
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
dorf

Never done this but have been told:
Use a cookie cutter on the wings.
Beat the hell out of them.
Bread them up.
Poor mans Scallops.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
lamb

I ate the ones from the Adriatic Sea. They were much smaller though, not like these airplanes we got here on the West Coast.

They just steam the wings, put some salt, olive oil and vinegar (all home made) and serve it like that.

Little gamy, still tasty, softer texture mild white fish.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
taggermike

I've heard the ray wings used as scallops stories for years and I've tried it twice. Once with a large round sting ray and once with a bat ray. I can only guess that the people who think this works like their scallops chewy with a bunch of red meat in them. Niether of the rays I tried was scallop-like in the least and not what I would would want on my plate ever again. I have also heard that skate wings are what you should use and not rays. I caught a bunch of clear nosed skates when I was in North Carolina and after my experience with the rays I was not tempted in the least to eat one of those ugly things. You might want to just let the rays go. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
yakattack

Interesting conversation. I can't remember if it was a small ray or a small skate, but I did eat one once in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It was actually pretty good. I remember the meat grain ran top to bottom rather than side to side. I also remember there was not a lot of meat left by the time I got a fillet out of it. I think the thing was only about the size of a chair top. But it tasted good. It was a sweet, stringy meat if remember correctly.

Cheers.

- Luther
yakattack is offline   Reply With Quote