Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
HobieScot

Does anyone here spearfish from your Kayak?

I have heard of people Spearfishing from a kayak before but not here locally in the LA/OC area, Nor have I personally see anyone geared up for spear fishing while I've been out fishing.

It seems like it would work fine. I'm just wondering about the logistics and any difficulties that I haven't foreseen.

What problems might I run into if I attempt to spearfish from my kayak? Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Not much info for you in my reply, but......I am also looking into spearfishing from my kayak.

A guy from my work does it quite often. After talking with him, it sounds pretty easy. He has a simple set-up and really enjoys it.

I am going to stop by one of the local spearfishing shops to gain some intel on the different guns and features.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
bluesquids

I picked up my first kayak in '01 specifically for spearfishing. I can't think of many problems you'd run into. You'll wanna leash your gun to the yak when not in use, it can fall off easily....just toss it over the side while gearing up....fins can go over the side easily too and they sink like a rock....I put those in a mesh duffle bag in the tank well.
Boat traffic is the biggest thing I worry about. But, you're much better off near a kayak in a thick kelp bed then a shore diver trying to get out there.
Many people will tell you to use the buddy system.....but in our poor visibility you can't see each other so a one up one down is not possible....so you end up diving in opposite directions...you are basically on your own most of the time anyways....personally I do not want to put myself anywhere within the range of a buddies speargun.
You really shouldn't hunt in water deeper than you feel comfortable diving down too in case a fish ties up. This is when a buddy is helpful to spot you and take turns diving on it.
Shallow water blackout should be on your mind ALWAYS, read up on it and dive as safe as possible.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
HobieScot

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been Spearfishing for years. Just not off a kayak. I started beach diving and got tired of that hassle pretty fast. Mot to mention the visibility on our coast is almost always horrible. I then switched to boat diving only with the majority of my fish speared at Catalina. I have a Wong hybrid that will secure to the paddle holder perfectly. So I feel safe there.

I do have a kelp clip that I use for fishing to secure the yak. I've had it break loose a couple times while I was fishing which is no big deal. But if I secure the yak to kelp and head out diving and come back up and it's gone, well that's a whole nother story!

That's one of my huge concerns. But I'm guessing without me in the yak putting the extra pressure on the kelp that the kelp clip would have a much easier time keeping the yak in one place.

One question I do have is how'd I you deal with the wetsuit situation. That would be one LONG paddle in a full wetsuit and over heating would be a real problem. Waiting to put it one when I get to the hunting grounds seems like a huge pain in the yak. So I was thinking that I could just wear the bottoms of the farmer johns on the way out then struggle with getting the top on when I get there.

How do others deal with the wetsuit?

Is there any other problems that I might come across that I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Last edited by HobieScot; 06-22-2015 at 10:28 AM.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
fishja

Been diving out of the yak for years now...

My gun also sits well in the paddle holder... You will also want to tie it to the kayak sometime. You never know when you will flip or some shit happens and you can't grab your gun. Especially beach/surf launch and landing. If you can fit it inside the yak do it. It might be a hassle but it's always better to have your gun then watch it sink.

I wear my bottoms and put my top on once I'm clipped to the kelp. If you can find two different kelp stocks to clip onto do it. I've been out in la Jolla with ripping current and its held fine.

Some people like to put dive flags out... I don't it just seems to draw attention to your kayak... This year with all the yoohoos it's probably best to just be cautious.

Wetsuit bottoms and booties go on before you launch... Everything else gets tied down or strapped in. I always recommend diving with a buddy! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
fishja

Oh don't forget fish storage! I'll usually take a towel and game clip to lash the fish to the back of the kayak and cover in the wet towel. Same as rod and reel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote