Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Dirty Curti

Carlsbad report Sunday

Reached the beach at sunrise to lake conditions. literally put the yak on the water, got on and paddled out. Water temp. started at 63 degrees in the morning and reached into 68 in some spots. Clear water with all the green backs you wanted. I have never seen so many green backs like this. Made 7 in a few minutes and then headed out to 100+ feet of water. Worked different area between 100-300 feet. Caught 1 Bonito around 11:30 and had to head back in to make more bait.

Got back to the salad, which has thinned out quite a bit over the last month, and took a few minutes to find the group. Finally saw some bouncing on the surface and worked them for 2 smelt. They were plenty but moved around alot. I decided to take those two out into the deep water to try my luck. Headed out about 200 yards and all of a sudden a large cloud formed on the FF. this was by far the largest school of greenies that I have ever seen. Dropped the sabiki and was pulling them in 2 at a time and made an 8 pack in no time.

Headed back out to the deep water for another Bonito. To slow to stick around so headed back in at 2:30.

Absolutely perfect conditions out there but just no fish. I was the only one out there except for the lobster boat working his traps in the area. I haven't fished this area since September as all of October was either to swelly or stormy so it looks like this area has slowed to fishing.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Murray

Thanks for the report. They are few and far between so it looks like catching has really slowed down. Got my fish finder ordered so I will be targeting wsb, halibut, and reds soon. Good luck next trip and keep enjoying our san diego blessings.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
surfisher

Curtis! Saw you out there, we made a stop the kelp to check it out on our way in from the cod grounds. Was gonna pull up to you and say hi but you were way out off the canyon when we left.

This morning was cool! Greenbacks all up and down the coast, we were up by leucadia kelp and saw a small bait boil form moving fast. That turned into more bait boiling, then eventually the greenbacks started flying out of the water, then all of a sudden the water erupted into a big foamer of yellows. Charged over, setup properly, made one cast on the surface iron before they sunk out. No bites. Left us scratching our heads, went to deeper waters for nada! There were three or four spots of solid foamers as once haha it was awesome to see!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfisher View Post
Curtis! Saw you out there, we made a stop the kelp to check it out on our way in from the cod grounds. Was gonna pull up to you and say hi but you were way out off the canyon when we left.

This morning was cool! Greenbacks all up and down the coast, we were up by leucadia kelp and saw a small bait boil form moving fast. That turned into more bait boiling, then eventually the greenbacks started flying out of the water, then all of a sudden the water erupted into a big foamer of yellows. Charged over, setup properly, made one cast on the surface iron before they sunk out. No bites. Left us scratching our heads, went to deeper waters for nada! There were three or four spots of solid foamers as once haha it was awesome to see!
Funny, I saw a skiff pull up on the south side of the salad and said to myself, I wonder if that's Bryan? By the way, text me if you want to come by the store and pick up your poster & sticker.

Yeah, now that I have the Elite5 I can see where the canyon is. Pretty cool, I worked the nose of the canyon a couple of times but it was just real slow out there.

Next time say hi if you see me, just don't boat wake me to bad! LOL

If my fellow NCC are fishing elsewhere give me a heads up. I might travel out with you.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
onetriphudson

Great report Curt, low surf like that is a huge reason to go.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
Goose1993

Sounds like a fun day.

Where do you launch out of at cbad?
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Nice repot Curtis!

Sounded like an awesome day on the water!

Love those easy launches and return landings...

When I get my FF installed, I'll give you a heads up to go to LJ on a Sunday.

Geno
Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose1993 View Post
Sounds like a fun day.

Where do you launch out of at cbad?
I launch directly in front of the power plant. On small days you can pretty much launch all around that area.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #9
kareem korn

I collect gear along that stretch on my morning walks. If you have a garage sale, pm me and I'll see if I picked it up. Over the last year I have found everything except a kayak.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #10
summers in kuwait

Nice report. Thanks for sharing. I need to get up to North County one of these days.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #11
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
Funny, I saw a skiff pull up on the south side of the salad and said to myself, I wonder if that's Bryan? By the way, text me if you want to come by the store and pick up your poster & sticker.

Yeah, now that I have the Elite5 I can see where the canyon is. Pretty cool, I worked the nose of the canyon a couple of times but it was just real slow out there.

Next time say hi if you see me, just don't boat wake me to bad! LOL

If my fellow NCC are fishing elsewhere give me a heads up. I might travel out with you.
Yes! I need to come grab that! I will text you towards the weekend. Gonna be a busy week at work with Veterans day and I have a few exams to take this week as well. If you're free Friday I can probably stop by at some point!

As for kayaking, I definitely have a few other spots I want to hit that aren't at the power plant kelp! The launches are pretty much the same, just has to be small. Waves are going to be small this weekend so we should do it if I don't end up on my boat ha!