Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
miteofthesun

Any Engineering Folks? Question Regarding Battery Box Placement

Hey everybody,

This is my first real post so I'll introduce myself quickly. My name is Jason and I grew up salmon fishing with my uncle in the Puget Sound and off the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.

I've always wanted to get into kayak fishing since hearing about it as a kid in So Cal.

Anyways, I'm finally at a point where I have my own kayak, and I've been outfitting it to get ready for fishing next year. I'll be buying my license at the turn of the new year. I've been out paddling every weekend.

I built a battery box after being inspired by this thread:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5176

I've been trying different things regarding where to store the battery. The most convenient location for me would be directly underneath the seat of my Malibu X13. There is easy access via the center hatch. The only issue is that it is a rather snug fit. I must push the box in with a bit of force, and I must pull up on the hatch area in order to remove it. My concern is that it may deform the hull, or stress the scupper hole area. The box comes within 2" of the scupper hole area.

It would be nice to store it beneath the seat, as I could retain the storage area within the semi-dry bag in the center hatch.

Does anybody have any advice? Should I go with it, or find a new location? Other options include directly below the center hatch, or in the front hatch.

Pics below. Thanks in advance!

Point at which resistance occurs:

All the way in:

The box:

Last edited by miteofthesun; 12-10-2015 at 12:10 PM.
miteofthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
battwings85
Junior

That is a big box for a little battery I would get a smaller box for that battery use a little bit of velcro on the bottom to keep it snug on the hall also since that such a small battery
I would also adding on and off switch so as not to kill your battery when not needed
you should scrap the box and reuse the parts
there is tons of stuff online especially YouTube and Pinterest that can show you how to add and on and off switch any box with a water tight fit would work but to answer your question no it will not mess up the scupper hole or the hall as long as you don't leave it there for long periods of time and take it out when you're done fishing you should be fine on another note I would look into getting a bigger battery it will last you a lot longer and if you wanted to add a bait tank with pump you could good luck fishing out there

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
battwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
Mahigeer

I personally would not exchange batteries while on the water. A good, charged battery should last one fishing session.

Thus, if you can make provisions with long wires, it could be stored anywhere.

Exerting undue pressure on the haul is never a good idea, is my belief.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Your in luck! Everybody here is an engineer!

Go with a bigger battery....smaller box.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
miteofthesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by battwings85 View Post
That is a big box for a little battery I would get a smaller box for that battery use a little bit of velcro on the bottom to keep it snug on the hall also since that such a small battery
I should have mentioned that the reason that I chose such a large box is so that I can add a 6V battery in the future to drive a live bait bucket.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
miteofthesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Exerting undue pressure on the haul is never a good idea, is my belief.
I agree with you. I may just store the battery directly beneath the hatch, and sacrifice some of that storage space.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
miteofthesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post

That picture is awesome! Haha.

I'll likely be installing a second battery in that box to run a live bait bucket in the future. I went with the 12V 6ah for my fishfinder to reduce some weight. It should drive my fishfinder for about 8 hours.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post

That's one hell of penis pump!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miteofthesun View Post
I agree with you. I may just store the battery directly beneath the hatch, and sacrifice some of that storage space.
I can not tell what kind of kayak you have, but most have front and rear hatches too for storage.

Like I mentioned with longer wires, it could go either places. That would leave the current hatch for your tackle.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
PescadorPete

I think battery boxes are overkill. Batteries are sealed so the water is not going to bother them. Here is how I do it. Wires soldered to the terminals, a coat of red liquid tape and when it dries, a layer of marine goop on the terminals. Now the battery is completely waterproof. Add a waterproof quick disconnect plug. The "battery box" is an insulated lunch bag. I strap the bag below the hull to the mast tube. Super simple and super cost effective.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
I think battery boxes are overkill. Batteries are sealed so the water is not going to bother them. Here is how I do it. Wires soldered to the terminals, a coat of red liquid tape and when it dries, a layer of marine goop on the terminals. Now the battery is completely waterproof. Add a waterproof quick disconnect plug. The "battery box" is an insulated lunch bag. I strap the bag below the hull to the mast tube. Super simple and super cost effective.

I agree IF the terminals are properly sealed as you mentioned. Saltwater will cause sever corrosion to the terminals. That is why everybody puts them in a box. In my outback I will be using the Hobie battery holder that attaches to the sailing mast shaft. It should keep it off of the floor.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've been using a battery for 3 years now with exposed terminals and no box, and no corrosion yet. It's just a battery, don't over think it.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
Amish Ed

I agree with Alan. I've been keeping mine in a wet footwell in a leaking dry (supposed to be anyways) bag for a couple of years. Almost no corrosion at all. Now terminals at the FF end are another story. gotta use dialectic grease for sure.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #14
miteofthesun

That's an awesome solution, Pete.

Thanks for the input everybody!

I'll have to decide between placing the box in the front hatch or in the center hatch. The original wiring harness is long enough to reach either location.