Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 AM   #1
HobieScot

Footwear Sugestions

I am curious as to what type of shoes everyone uses for kayak fishing. I have been wearing a pair of old Sanuks that are kind of similar to a boat shoe but they have holes in the front, back, and sides to alllow water to drain out. They are meant to be worn around water, but not the best option to get wet on a regular basis as they have stretched out from getting wet and drying repeatedly and no longer fit properly.

I generally take them off to launch if possible, then I will put them back on later in the day when I notice my feet are starting to burn.

I know there are much better options out there so I was wondering what everyone wears when you take your kayak out. Something that I could wear the entire day including the launch and recovery would be ideal.

Can anyone offer a better option for me to look into?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may offer.
HobieScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

I just go barefoot, if it's colder I wear neoprene socks.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
PescadorPete

I use lightweight low top neoprene scuba dive boots. The zippered ones are easier to get on/off over my waders booties. I got ones with a sturdy sole so I can walk in them. The sole is also good to protect my feet on the Hobie pedals. They also make low cut ones that look like loafers that might work better if you are not putting them on over waders.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
beerman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
I use lightweight low top neoprene scuba dive boots. The zippered ones are easier to get on/off over my waders booties I got ones with a sturdy sole so I can walk in them. The sole is also good to protect my feet on the Hobie pedals. They also make low cut ones that look like loafers that might work better if you are not putting them on over waders.
Same here..EZ on the feet on shore too..Zippers a must
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Irishman

In the colder months my surf booties, summer time barefoot, but lots of sunscreen every couple hours
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
Caseym

If its hot, i wear Tevas.
If its cold, I wear waders and Tevas.
When I get back on the beach, i wear my Reef sandals, so I dont look like a dork.
-mazer
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

These felt bottom wading booties work petty well when it's colder. You can take them off easily if it warms up.

Most of the time I wear Tevas because, around here, getting to the water can be pretty tough and flipflops don't cut it. Once I'm on the water, I take the Tevas off and work barefoot.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
tattuna

Native. Over waders or barefoot. Had mine for a couple years now and still solid

Old 07-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
HobieScot

I was looking at the Tevas. That is what I was thinking about switching to. My only hesitation is because I bought a cheap pair that are similar to Tevas when We went to Hawaii and I really liked them. But my hesitation is because both my girlfriends and my pairs started to smell by the end of the week.

Do the Tevas start to smell from being in the water then drying repeatedly? I'm hoping that the ones we had in Hawaii smelled because they were made of cheap materials and that the Tevas don't do that.

I am also a diver so I already have the boots to wear. I never thought about using them before. They seem like they would be hot except during the winter.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Caseym

re. Tevas...
I havent noticed a smell, but im 6'2" and my flexibility isnt for shit anymore, so trying to get my nose down there is impossible. But to be honest, my waders are so nasty by the end of the day, with coffee stains, crumbs, blood, peanut butter and "I tried but kinda dribbled at the end" piss stains that I wouldnt even notice a little foot odor. After all, its fishing so stuffs gonna get kinda grungy.
Anytime you wanna go together Id be down, Im really a pretty cool guy, real clean too.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
DanaPT

Left my Sanuk slip on at the launch and had an old pair of new balance running shoes. Light weight and they breathe too. They worked great and now my kayak shoes.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
FISH11

I use a pair of Body Glove 3T shoes. Got them on E Bay from Dick's Sporting Goods, they were on clearance for $34. They work great.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieScot View Post
I was looking at the Tevas. That is what I was thinking about switching to. My only hesitation is because I bought a cheap pair that are similar to Tevas when We went to Hawaii and I really liked them. But my hesitation is because both my girlfriends and my pairs started to smell by the end of the week.

Do the Tevas start to smell from being in the water then drying repeatedly? I'm hoping that the ones we had in Hawaii smelled because they were made of cheap materials and that the Tevas don't do that.

I am also a diver so I already have the boots to wear. I never thought about using them before. They seem like they would be hot except during the winter.

Look for sandals that have an anti-bacterial footbed.
With my back injury I can't bend over to tie my shoes without taking a chance of pinching any nerves, so I've just about lived in my Boardshorts, Keen's and Teva's for the past couple years. I just gave them a smell test and they don't stink (just as advertised), so I'm not too worried.
Once I can finally get out, I have a couple different pair of "flats booties" or float tube booties I can wear with my waders (if they're necessary) and can store my sandals in the pouch of my SEAIRSPORT Angler seat if it gets warm, although I wouldn't use the float tube booties due to the lack of foot/arch support and thin footbed.
Much will depend on where I'm launching also. If launching @ LJ, I could get away with sandals, if further up this way closer to home (like the "boulder fields" near Malibu, Leo, Pt. Dume or areas of SB) the "Flats Booties" would be necessary.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
tacmik

Barefoot
Old 07-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
HobieScot

Thank you all for your ideas. I took a look at the Tevas and a couple other similar style shoes yesterday at sports challet. The only problem is they seem to be a hassle to get off and on easily while sitting in the kayak.

I also took a look at surf shoes and found one similar to what tattuna posted that seems like it might fit the bill.

I need to dig out my dive gear and see what all I have. I'm sure I have something that wll work as well.

Thanks again! 👍🏼
Old 07-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
HobieScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Barefoot
I usually launch barefoot but last week at Dana Point we launched from the boat ramp and those ridges were a killer on my feet. For a regular launch that's not on a boat ramp or rocks then barefoot is the easiest way to go
Old 07-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
Gunner58

I either go barefoot or I also have a pair of 3mm dive booties that are low cut and have a little tread on them.
Gunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #18
RK

Yellow crocs only way to go.....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
jorluivil

I bought these at kohl's about 4 years ago, getting ready for a new pair

Paid $15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150712_201504.jpg (50.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 20150712_201444.jpg (43.6 KB, 141 views)

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 07-12-2015 at 08:00 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
HELLSTER INC.

You can get at least 2 more years out of those!
2018 SeaFox 248 Commander

HELLSTER INC. is offline   Reply With Quote