Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
jerr-dog

New kayak fisher to the site.

Hey everyone just wanted to say hello to everybody. I am new to fishing, new to the site, & fairly new to kayaking . I live in the Southbay & the closest beach to me is Hermosa & Redondo Beach & often ride my bike there. I have Jackson Kayak (Allstar 2010) & a Cobra Fish N Dive which I am going to trick out in the near future. the only fish I have ever caught in my life was a Golden Trout in Treasure Lakes Bishop, Ca. Guess it is one of the most elusive fish in the backcountry? Anyway hope to get to know some of you & hope not to ask too many questions. I will be sticking to primarily salt water for now & am still piecing some gear together to make it all work. I would like to learn to surf fish as well. Peace
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
sammysamsam

Welcome. I hope you brought your piggy bank. You are gonna need it.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Whizz Bang

JD,

Welcome. This is addictive, not this site, the sport. Our posting on this site, our membership, and the friendships we make here and on the water are the opposite of an AA meeting. We are all full fledged practicing addicts. We come here to celebrate our personal victories, and commiserate over our losses.

IMO you need to:

1. Identify your target species.
2. Decide on where you will fish.
3. If you are on a budget, identify the absolute minimum you will need to target those fish.
4. Learn your knots.
5. Get on the water.

This site has alot to offer but you will have to dig. Refrain from asking a question until you have done your due diligence, ie searching for previous posts. Many of us have been in your shoes and asked many of the questions I am sure you have racing through your head. Those posts are all here with many answers from the old pros. Dig them up. If you cannot find them, then ask. Your time on the water will expose you to other Kayakers who, for the most part, are approachable and willing to share their knowledge, this will fill in your gaps. See you on the water.

Again, welcome, and good luck.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
fishinkid2010

My recommendation is to buy lots of tackle...lots and lots of tackle. Not just enough to fill a tackle box, enough that your closet is over flowing, and you can't put your hand against your bedroom wall without touching a rod. At least that's what I do and it seems to work. hahaha
Oh, and getting on the water once and a while helps too!

Keep reading the threads on this site and you will learn a ton. Welcome!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Deefeesha

Welcome.

Want to learn how to surf fish?

Visit: http://www.scsurffishing.com/
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Lovefofish
Junior

If you ever have any questions on surf fishing ask me I will be happy to answer.
Lovefofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
jerr-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post
Welcome. I hope you brought your piggy bank. You are gonna need it.
HA HA lol I wish I had a piggy bank. Every hobbie I have had left me broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizz Bang View Post
JD,

Welcome. This is addictive, not this site, the sport. Our posting on this site, our membership, and the friendships we make here and on the water are the opposite of an AA meeting. We are all full fledged practicing addicts. We come here to celebrate our personal victories, and commiserate over our losses.

IMO you need to:

1. Identify your target species.
2. Decide on where you will fish.
3. If you are on a budget, identify the absolute minimum you will need to target those fish.
4. Learn your knots.
5. Get on the water.

This site has alot to offer but you will have to dig. Refrain from asking a question until you have done your due diligence, ie searching for previous posts. Many of us have been in your shoes and asked many of the questions I am sure you have racing through your head. Those posts are all here with many answers from the old pros. Dig them up. If you cannot find them, then ask. Your time on the water will expose you to other Kayakers who, for the most part, are approachable and willing to share their knowledge, this will fill in your gaps. See you on the water.

Again, welcome, and good luck.
Hey thanks & this is good advice. I appriciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinkid2010 View Post
My recommendation is to buy lots of tackle...lots and lots of tackle. Not just enough to fill a tackle box, enough that your closet is over flowing, and you can't put your hand against your bedroom wall without touching a rod. At least that's what I do and it seems to work. hahaha
Oh, and getting on the water once and a while helps too!

Keep reading the threads on this site and you will learn a ton. Welcome!
Thanks & I will have alot to read this site is GREAT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deefeesha View Post
Welcome.

Want to learn how to surf fish?

Visit: http://www.scsurffishing.com/
Thanks & yes I have registerd on this one over the weekend too. Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovefofish View Post
If you ever have any questions on surf fishing ask me I will be happy to answer.
I may just take you up on that offer if I can't find the info in previous post first. Glad to be hear thanks to everyone for your time & comments.
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
mtnbykr2

welcome to the addiction,
I am in the 805 but frequent Redondo and MDR, surf fishing when I can't get the yak out, let me know...b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote