Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #81
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
I've worked as an environmental chemist for years, and I can tell you that there are only two reasons that the scientific data was presented with inadequate time for its review.

1. The science is crap. How good is a science team if they can't put together good evidence until the deadline. The data must've been rushed or they are just incompetent. Either way, there is no way that they performed a thorough study. I'd like to see them admit this.

2. It was a Phillip-Morris-type agenda driven study where facts are cherry picked and opposing data is omitted. They are aware of the subjectivity driving the study and know that it would be easily noticed under adequate review. If this is the case, they ought to be ashamed of calling themselves scientists and an investigation into the cause of their subjectivity is required.

I'm an ass cause I didn't make the meeting, but I would've flipped over a pretentious comment like "You don't need to know about that".

We need publicity... lets call Turko.
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...........baffle them with bullshit.
-Thats the MLPA BRTF strategy

Last edited by Billy V; 04-30-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #82
Matt
Support your local pangas

[quote=Mr Mugu;37802]Ask and ye shall receive!
Gee thanks alot guys! :lol:

Hot off the press, they've added Tuesday May 19th to our meeting schedule. So we'll be in Santa Ana the 19th, 20th, and 21st.

This meeting has a LARGE chunk of time devoted to YOU!!

We'll be meeting at 1pm for a work session, then break for dinner at I believe 5:30, and then we'll have Public Comment from then on.
Again this is for YOU to be heard! And at a reasonable hour for those trying to make a living.

And yes those that spoke yesterday had a very good impact on our work session today.
Again BIG THANKS!

I think I will attend the entire meeting on the scheduled day for public forum to be allowed due to the fact that Ms. Thuden, Mr. Fox, and Mr. Poncelet seem to continually change the order of the meeting.....Let's just say I don't necessarily trust them all the way
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #83
PAL

Former SAC president Bob Fletcher read this letter into the record, excerpted below. MJ Kennedy and I both signed it, as the ground rules have been continually changed, usually at the last minute, making sound decision making next to impossible.

Quote:
Dear Chairman Benninghoven:

We, the undersigned members of the South Coast Regional Stakeholders Group (SCRSG), are writing to express serious concerns with the direction of the South Coast Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) planning process.

When we agreed to constructively participate in this project, we did so with the belief that the process would be fairly adjudicated, unbiased, open and transparent based on consistent direction and quality science. Current events demonstrate this is not the case.

Laboring mostly in the dark and lacking information (habitat mapping, LOPs, etc) which is vital to good judgment, we nonetheless completed our first round of network proposals.

These have now been analyzed by the Science Advisory Team (SAT). As of the Blue Ribbon Task Force’s (BRTF) recent meeting, none, not even the most preservation oriented plans - could make the grade. This is astonishing. Those of us with intimate, expert knowledge of the study region expected better results. Although the proposed networks may in fact require adjustment, we believe most of the shortcomings lie with the data and its analysis. Many SAT members said as much during their last meeting.

We respectfully disagree with I-team statements that data resolution good enough for the North Central Coast Study Area is sufficient for the South Coast study area. But, southern California is not northern Californiala. Some 24 million people are clustered along our intensively used coastline. We don’t have the luxury of mile after mile of undeveloped shoreline, a situation which permitted the previous process to get by with incomplete and inaccurate science in the Central and North Central study areas.

Furthermore, the BRTF has failed to resolve the military use area issue. The BRTF’s ultimate decision will have serious implications. Without clear policy guidance on the military areas, the RSG’s hands are tied, because we cannot reasonably balance impacts between the user groups likely to be impacted.

The RSG only has two opportunities to revise MPA proposals following SAT feedback. We believe it would be irresponsible to waste round two on guesswork. The science data – the habitat maps - must be significantly improved and made readily available. The BRTF must provide certainty on the military use area issue.

These are serious issues that threaten the successful conclusion of this public process. We ask: what is the penalty for waiting until we can get it right? Insisting on sticking to the timetable only serves to heighten suspicions of bias.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #84
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Paul, good to see that brought to light. Even Ms. Tuden acknowledged that, with her comment of why the proposal changes at the last minute...

Another thing that baffles me, referring to Shaggy's statement regarding kelp...at the meeting, alot was mentioned of kelp and it's effect on the habitat. Based on their reasonings regarding underwater structure, rocks, eel grass, etc., as optimum conditions for kelp to thrive, then how can they even factor in LJ as part of their rationale?

We will be at the next meeting...and the point being made that more people need to be made aware of what is actually at stake, I big time agree with that.

Clay enlightened his class, it's a start.

Anyone have something I can print up and make copies to give people a general idea of what's going on and what they can do, maybe a letter they can sign and send away?

Maybe that is one course we can take to get more people involved. Hand them out to co-workers, neighbors, schools...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #85
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks for the update Paul and MJ. Thanks again for spending countless frustrating hours on the cause.

Sorry I am a little unclear about MJ's post, the day added to the next meeting, May 19 is the day with the public comment now? Just want to make sure I ask for time off work on the right day since it is just over 2 weeks away already.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM   #86
PAL

I have a lot to say this morning, so please forgive the back to back posts.

The MLPA planning process continued unabated yesterday. Although hampered by the ever-changing data, MJ and I did our best to represent kayak fishing interests. I can't say how it went, not because I've been muzzled. I only know what took place right in front of my eyes, in a group of about 8 stakeholders. That was mixed.

I want you to hear two messages.

1) Preserving access to La Jolla will be a difficult, uphill battle. If we are to have any chance of success, YOU BETTER TURN OUT AT THE MEETINGS FROM HERE ON OUT. Don't be surprised if the other side starts showing up in force.

Can't go? Then please donate to the PSO and keep our lobbyist in the game. Go here for details: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=4834

Direct link to the PSO donation page: https://keepamericafishing.org/donation/

I may have a second organization to recommend very soon, as it is nearing the time to raise money for any eventuality.

2) Other groups in the fishing community have been offered incentives to trade away all or part of La Jolla in return for concessions elsewhere. Because I have actively campaigned for solutions that balance impact between fishing groups, our friends are unlikely to turn on us. Especially if we are LOUD, PROUD, AND IN EVIDENCE AT THE MEETINGS. In spite of my confidence in our friends, we have to put in our own work.

Consider this my personal thank-you to all those kayak anglers who made the trip to Oxnard. Most of the guys arrived early, and suffered through the marathon meeting along with me and MJ. That was top shelf, and I don't blame you one bit for hitting the road after public comment. If I could have, I'd have been right on your heels. I'm only sorry you didn't see the debate that followed delivery of the delay letter. I'm proud to know all of you, especially Clay. At 9 years old, you are already one formidable guy. Everyone else on this board may be taller, but today, we're all looking up at you.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 AM   #87
PAL

Quote:
Sorry I am a little unclear about MJ's post, the day added to the next meeting, May 19 is the day with the public comment now? Just want to make sure I ask for time off work on the right day since it is just over 2 weeks away already.
To tell you the truth, I don't know any better than you. We know public comment is scheduled for the evening of May 19 as of today. There may be another public comment session on the 21st, prior to RSG action on which round 2 proposals move forward. Then again, there may not be. We wont know for certain until an agenda has been posted.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #88
Billy V

I received a CHange E Mail this morning. More last minute changes to confuse, and shake off the fleas.

[MLPA Initiative] Calendar changes for BRTF and SCRSG
California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Announcement

Who: MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF) and MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG)

What: Calendar changes

When: New meeting date on May 8, 2009 at 12:00 noon (BRTF) and additional work session on May 19, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. (SCRSG)

Where: Via teleconference (BRTF on May 8) and Santa Ana (SCRSG on May 19)

Last edited by Billy V; 04-30-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #89
zenspearo

From a spearo who has been attending these MLPA meetings--a big thank you to our kayak fishing brothers.

I'm from San Diego as well and I too believe that La Jolla is seriously threatened. It, along with Palos Verde, constitutes ground zero in this MLPA fight.

We need to show up in force or we will be hosed when this is over. This is especially true for you guys who need to launch at Avenida de la Playa. If they close La Jolla, you will need to make a 5-mile each-way to even be allowed to begin to fish.

The MLPA people says they only want to close 20%. But the science criteria they use is pretty much the same as that for the Central Coast. In the Central Coast, most of the coast has rocks, kelp, sand, etc. In Socal, 80% is sand. What that means is their 20% covers the only fishing grounds that serve millions of Californians. It's designed that way to eff the fishermen and you need to fight.

Hats off to the kayak fishermen who showed up April 28 and April 29th. You kayak fishermen have strong reps in Paul and MJ. Please continue to support your reps by showing up to speak and don't forget to thank them for this shitty job that they are handed.

Last edited by zenspearo; 04-30-2009 at 08:38 PM.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #90
SeaDog

I think we should shoot a video demonstrating why La Jolla is a safe launch when compared to other launch sites. We could play it behind a speaker stressing the safety issues in shutting down La Jolla. I think videos of kayakers getting rocked by the surf is something that would memorable for all in attendance. I'd be willing to participate in the wiping out part of this demonstration, I'm a natural.
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #91
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Joe (Zenspearo) thanks for stoking up the masses! For those kayakers that don't know, Joe has spent a lot of his time, getting the spearos together, attending meetings, and speaking on behalf of consumptives = us...

Joe, if you have any helpful info, please do not hesitate to post up over here.

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #92
PAL

One thing I've noticed about Joe. When he gives testimony, he talks about kayak anglers and private boaters, not just free divers. Kayak anglers might want to return the favor, we have so much in common.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 AM   #93
so cal shaggy

MLPA 101

Hey guys, I copied this from spearboard.com. This is an information workshop that breaks down and explains the MLPA process without all the mumbo jumbo. It is broken down into laymans terms please make a concerned effort to attend one of these sessions.

We have been given a great opportunity!!! Count them...3 nights of MLPA 101!!!

Monday, May 11. Tuesday, May 12. Monday, May 18.

Start time will be 7PM. It will still take me 2 solid hrs to cover all the pertinent information. I will likely have the newest iterations of some work room maps if I can smuggle them out. We will be going over things a little differently, as it is pretty late in the game for some of the stuff regarding SAT review and such. No matter, we will give you the ins and outs! The guys at UASC are really doing the fishing public a big favor, and I am really greatful for the opportunity.

The best contact for location info and adress, etc is United Anglers of Southern California. (949) 863-9447. I will post an adress tomorrow for you. The location is in Signal Hill, Long Beach. We can handle 100 a night!!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #94
PAL

Public comment for the May 19 RSG meeting is now set for 7 PM - that's a work-friendly time. The meeting will be held at the Doubletree Hotel Santa Ana, 201 East MacArthur Blvd. That's not too bad from San Diego.

See you there!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #95
lamb

Thanks guys for all your hard work and efforts!

This stuff is... ...scarry.