Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear

Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Randog

Basic needs to get going

Thank you to all for the help in my other post.

I wanted to get opinions on what is the basic needs to get started - I know yo uneed a yak - a paddle - -

But what else?

What about a bait bucket?

What kind of car rack?

I know this is very open ended - but I am trying to get my head around the the total cost I am looking at.

Thanks in advance,

-=R=-
Randog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Corey

Basic needs: Aside from the kayak, paddle, & maybe roof rack (what kind of vehicle?) you can DIY most everything else to get started if cost is an issue. A pvc bait tube will get you started for less that $10 and rod & paddle leashes can be hommemade from some cord or whatever. A milk crate mounted behind the seat with some cut lengths of 2" pvc for rod holders will get you out there & fishing. My first yak was just a basic model w/ a crate w/ pvc rodholders & a plano bucket for bait and it caught a ton of fish at LJ. It doesn't have to be fancy to get started. You can always add nicer things as you go along. Use the search finction on the board and I'm sure you will find examples of how to make a bait tube, rig up a crate, etc.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
madscientist

Ditto what Corey said. Start simple, go out a few times, and add on as you identify needs. Don't just buy every possible accessory without first finding out if you really need it. I think we are all somewhat guilty of over accessorizing in the beginning, but the more you fight the urge the sooner you'll have a nicely dialed in boat. But get the safety stuff fo sho: pfd, VHF, whistle, knife, light.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Guyak

My first season season I fished with two poles and threw plastics for calicos etc. Just getting an idea of what I needed. Now I got the Kaya Tank, new Planos, flush mounted compass, and three rods. Still adding as I go.

Gaff, and safety equipment was more important to me. Still need to get the VHF, but Cell phone works for now.

Fish Finder/GPS, Crate, more poles are next on the list.

Take is slow and you will get it just right. You'll also keep the wife happy with less money spent

Oh also, I was catching fish with $1200 spent for yak, paddle, seat, and basic safety equipment. Best $1200 ever spent.
Guyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
taggermike

I started out on a surf board with a fishing rod held in my teeth, then moved up to a big paddle board where I could actually sit up and use a canoe paddle. My first kayak felt like a yatch but I kept the same minimalist mentallity in rigging it. I knew what I needed and slowly added acessories as it became clear I needed them. My yak works for me. Like the other guys said, start simple and get to know your kayak and you will learn what you need. Every time I go to the launch at LJ shores I see great ideas on other yakkers boats. Get on the water, get comfortable. The whole time you're learning you're fishing and catching. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
h2ofishfo

yeah try to get away w/least as possible u dont wanna look like u are living out of your yak
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
clayfish

Check out the Kayak Dealers - they'll let you test drive different yaks. Spend at least 30 minutes in each or more. I purchased a Ocean Kayak (Drifter), wide and stable. I started fairly bare and have added a fish finder, rod holders, leashes. I made my own leashes. I just added the 6" center hatch. There is a brand "Hobie" with foot controls which is powerful and quick, however expensive. I too made the bait tube, my son in law made the live well for under $30 and went with a 6 volt battery for longer amp life and a reasonable cycle of water into the tank.
clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote