Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Master-baiter

Question for Hobie Revo

So I been searching the web for the best solution to storing big fish (YT, WSB, halibut) on my Hobie Revo with bunch of mixed reviews and different cooler kill bags.
Problem is, the revo does not have much space on its narrow hull. Hoping some Hobie/Revo guys on here can share their set ups and what works best.
Also, is loading the big fish in the bag on water a pain?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master-baiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Since no-one has chimed in. What I've seen done is adding pad-eyes on the front of the kayak on the sides of the hatch. Then you can bungee a reliable kill bag over the hatch.

Limits accessibility to your hatch but its really the only solution I've seen.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You have a revo, so mabye adding an outrigger to one side would be an option. Hobie makes the parts. Much moore storage with the tramp and your problems are solved. Best of luck, lots of info on the hobie forums. Tight Lines.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

You catch yer fish and you just go home

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Orca Winfrey

Give it to your buddy in the PA to store it for you.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
FISH11

I added some hooks to align with the d rings on my Reliable Fish Kill bag and one eyelet on each side on the middle so as to use a small carabineer to keep the bag secured even in the higher surf. It works great, but the higher center of gravity with one or more 30+lbs fish inside the bag and coming in the La Jolla surf of more than 3' makes for some fun times. When I use my Malibu X Factor and the fish are under deck that kayak is less affected by the weight in the surf. Off course having large fish as a possible storage problem is a good thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5260.jpg (58.2 KB, 114 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Master-baiter

Thanks for the responses. Ive been giving it to the friend In the PA to store multiple times actually haha going home would be another option but I rather fish longer 9/10 times of hooking up. And the only good solution has been the reliable game bag that I’ve been looking at as an option. Was fishing for other ideas but the reliable bag seems to be the answer.
@fish11
It’s not hard for you to throw in the big fish? Also it does not get in your way?
Thanks

Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
FISH11

Talking

The bag is even with the front hatch so it does not get in the way, except to open the front hatch, which I never do out in the open ocean. The Yellow in the picture was 34 lbs after bleeding. When they get that large the tail is sticking out a bit. I've had to put the tail over to one side because my feet kept hitting the tail while pedaling the mirage drive. Dealing with the large Yellow when bringing it on board or when sliding a little forward to get it in the bag is part of the fun that makes the kayak a little rocky and less stable, so I always hang both my legs over the side straddling the kayak to get better stability.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

I keep a big Reliable kill bag in my truck all the time.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
FISH11

I no longer bring a large cooler in my truck for any fish I catch. I use my Reliable kill bag and carry 5 frozen water bottles inside it. It could double as a cooler if you are trying to save space. I find that carrying the bottles inside a plastic shopping bag to keep them together also makes then last all day and stay frozen keeping the bag ready for those tasty fish.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
Master-baiter

Thanks, that’s actually really helpful

Old 06-09-2018, 05:21 AM   #12
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I no longer bring a large cooler in my truck for any fish I catch. I use my Reliable kill bag and carry 5 frozen water bottles inside it. It could double as a cooler if you are trying to save space. I find that carrying the bottles inside a plastic shopping bag to keep them together also makes then last all day and stay frozen keeping the bag ready for those tasty fish.

The 5 water bottles keeps it cool enough? I usually bring 20lbs of ice on my outback.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #13
Ggiannig89

As a fellow revo owner I’m Interested to know what direction you go. The reliable bag sounds like the best option but I haven’t made any decisions.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The 5 water bottles keeps it cool enough? I usually bring 20lbs of ice on my outback.
They keep the inside of the bag cool and if it's a really hot day, then I just pick up some ice at the store after leaving La Jolla. They have worked really good, I found that keeping then together before catching a fish, makes them stay frozen longer. If I catch a Yellow then I separate the bottles to surround the fish. they also weigh less than even a small bag of ice.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Master-baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
As a fellow revo owner I’m Interested to know what direction you go. The reliable bag sounds like the best option but I haven’t made any decisions.

I’m definitely going to go with the reliable bag. My friends have them too and always have cold drinks at the end of the day and has kept my big fish pretty much frozen when I have used theirs. Need to have my own for the summer.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #16
ProfessorLongArms

This thread reminded me....

Anybody try these?
Insulated Fish bag/cooler 42" for kayak & canoe offshore angler Yakcatch II Pp Topchoice TCYC-collection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAYLPE7..._7LHhBbG0WTPZ9
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote