Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Tuna non kayak

I have been trying to get out fishing with my amigo Juan on his Panga for well over a month and have had several false starts due to wind and weather issues and out of town clients tying up Juan. Yesterday the planets aligned and I was able to get out to the tuna grounds with Juan and his deck hand Juan. I had some high hopes because Juan has strung together a series of trips with easy limits of Yft with some skippies and a Wahoo or two thrown in. The trip to the tuna grounds was a long one. While the tuna were under porpoise a few miles from the beach, we found them a few miles beyond San Pablo. I would estimate at least a 20 mile boat ride up swell. The fishing was different than any tuna fishing I have experienced. Like most panga fishing in Baja, trolling Rapalas is the answer to all fishing questions. The problem we had yesterday was that a sea lion pack would follow us around and latch on to any hooked fish. The trick was to get the fish to the boat and in the boat as quickly as possible. You had to crank down the drag to almost direct drive and crank like hell while Juan headed the boat toward the fish. Winch them to the surface and gaff em, all in about a minute. By the time we vacated the area we had 3 yft and a couple skippies and the lobos took at least 5 yft from us. We traveled off shore a few miles in search of more porpoise but didn't find any that were holding tuna. We cruised through one area that had some beautiful kelp paddys, the kind that give southern California anglers an erection , but the locals here pay no attention to them. The ones we came close to did not appear to be holding anything, not even bait. These yellow paddys on the purple water stuck out to be lights. You could see them for miles even sitting down in a Panga. We hit one other spot called the 24 fathom reef and trolled for wahoo for a while and then headed in. All in all it was a gorgeous day on the water with a few fish for sushi and canning. Gonna try to get back out with the Juan and Juan team again this week.
Tried to upload a couple photos but the Internet is very slow this morning.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Sounding better and better for the Thanksgiving trip. We will see you soon Ross.
YFT good eats.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Deamon

Soon, RossMAN soon!

Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
taggermike

Thanks for the update. Does fighting the dogs make you feel like you're right back in LaJolla? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote