Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
twinfin

9/6 AM LJ!!!!!

Landed a 11lb YT this AM, and lost a couple of nice grade fish in the kelp (rookie move) this morning :x . Damn near got spooled by one on 25lb line! There was more life out there than I've ever seen. I saw multiple schools of really nice size fish swim right under me many times....incredible.

Total madness. Andy and Arne were out there working it. Saw skiffman doing his thing too.

Not my biggest tail, but easily the most exciting day I've had on the water.

Dan
twinfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
lamb

Rock on!! 8)
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Congrats Dan!

Yellowtail Mayhem

Started really slow with nothing but big shoals of bait. Saw one bait school get pummeled early and nothing else until about 8-9. I went 2 for 5. all on greenbacks. Had numerous followers on the iron and plastic. Sometimes 5-6 fish chasing it. 1St fish was a dink 7-8 pounds. 2nd fish was a good one buried me and broke. Retied, same scenerio, not 5 minutes, hooked run, run down, kelped, pop! Then the Yellows went off and as I am freaking on the followers. Bit on the greenback again and land a 12 pounder. Current and breeze were working north to south and the paddle in took me 2 hours, mostly because there were YT popping up all the way to the point. I had one under my yak that looked 4 feet long. On my way in got picked up while talking to Jimmy and looked like this one was heading to open water, but sounded and found that layed out stringer and pop! Hey Arne, What is better than pulling a couple YT out of that mayhem? Trust me the "Golden Boy" knows. Kelvin knows too........variety.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
madscientist

Sounds like quite a scene. Hope you guys left a few for me tomorrow AM.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
Arne

It was just plain carnage out there today. Anchovies were so thick I was able to paddle by a swirling bait ball and scoop up a handful. Little silver flakes were everywhere from the massacred chovies. It seemed the Yellows wanted nothing but chovies and the very occassional greenie. No plastic, no iron, no spanish, no sardines. Veeery frustrating. The biggest of the YT I got to pull on was just shy of 15#. Also had a couple "dinks" eat greenies that were just about as big as they were.

Just when I was about to call it a day something hit my last greenie. Straight to the kelp it went, but not too much of a fight, so I thought it was another smallish YT. I was pulling on it like I wanted it to come unbuttoned since the deck was already full. Finally I brought up a huge ball of kelp with a big WSB head sticking out. :shock: COOL! Took a blind gaff shot and brought it on board. Totally unexpected. Forgot my camera again so no pics except some very cheesy driveway shots.

The paddle in was long with a nw wind and south-westerly drift. Saw a couple good sized WSB cruise right underneath my yak on the paddle in, but my gear was a mess and I couldn't get anything off. Paddled in with a guy named Dave who got his first ever WSB. That first one you always remember.

It is going off out there so get out if you can.

Oh yeah, Adi, very nice fish yesterday. That's one of the nicest doubles I've seen in a long time. 8)
Arne
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
skiffman

Variety

Early A.M. checked with Andy and nothing happening yet. Saw birds crashing inside at Casa so I went to investigate. They pushed up to Horseshoe and I caught 6 Calicos 2 to 3.5lbs. Went outside to join Andy and ended up with 1 Yellowtail just shy of 15lbs and 1 WSB just a tad over 16lbs, and a hand full of Bonito on the Tady C. The crowds are gone and it's time for the boys to have some fun!!! Someone on the beach had a big WSB that looked to be 40lbs or so. It was truly an amazing show this morning. Adi, your post last night was very inspiring. Thanks, Kelvin
Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
vellocity

ahhhh it will be another sleepless night waiting for that alarm clock to go off!!!
good job guys!! congrats all around..

today i went 50 miles south paddy hopping to get our asses handed to us as the wind picked up early!!

see you at the spot Brad!
vellocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
Dennis

Hey Nelz,
Call me when your alarm goes off... .. I'll be there with you guys.
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
lamb

Wow... 8) Congrats to all!!!

Please make it last till Thursday.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Uh-huh

We second that. Congratulations to all lucky 'yakkers who scored.
Definitely motivates us to go in the next few days. We'll take even half of that action.