Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Dean Machine

Bait handling ??'S

Does anyone have any input on the handling and rigging of live bait? I hear that fish are very picky at times so how much care is needed for my bait. Are bait tanks better than bait tubes? what are the pro and cons of both? I notice my bait fish lose all their slime in a tube. I love the simplicity of a bait tube but is it hurting my bait/ fishing? I have also learned that sunscreen is the devil when it comes to handling bait. Has anyone ever tried to put dines in a tube? Any input or 2 cents would be welcome. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Ryan The Sealion

I'm sure u already know to use a wet towell when handling ur bait..but yeah, I also notice my baits slime is gone after they hangout in my bucket for a while...maybe a stress thing..?
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
Dean Machine

Didn't actually know that. ops:
Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Dan

I think I've noticed that sunblocky hands + sabiki = slow pickins on bait.

As for the tube vs tank, can't help you there......
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
T-Rex

I've noticed macks seem to do fine in the bait tube, but dines don't fare as well. Last summer I had about 6-7 sardines in a tube and they all died in about 90 minutes. Maybe too fragile to have so many in a tube at once :?:
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
Ed
Fringe Head

DoH'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan The Sealion
I'm sure u already know to use a wet towell when handling ur bait..but yeah, I also notice my baits slime is gone after they hangout in my bucket for a while...maybe a stress thing..?
The reason the slime is gone on your bait is BECAUSE you are using a towel. The towel makes bait easy to handle but will kill your bait because it removes the slime. Just use your bare hands and wet them first.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
madscientist

I second that.The towel is definitely a no-no. I don't think you need to be overly careful with bait. As Art says, "they are bait, not pets", but with that said I think you should minimize handling. I grab em right at the back of the gills where I can put a little pressure and not get spiked by the spanish. Good water flow in a bait tank is also key for a long day. the kayatank is wonderful in this regard, will keep a scoop of dines happy as clams for a whole day.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Ryan The Sealion

^ my greenbacks have lived alot longer since i started using a wet towel..mabe a personal issue...guess i'm used to chokin it out..? :? :roll: :lol:
Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Ryan The Sealion

Re: DoH'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan The Sealion
The reason the slime is gone on your bait is BECAUSE you are using a towel. The towel makes bait easy to handle but will kill your bait because it removes the slime. Just use your bare hands and wet them first.
guess I need some mack handling practice.. the slime comes off in the bucket tho not on the towell..maybe becuz of the towell like you said tho..
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
Dan

Ryan, don't be escared of the little spikes on the spanish macs.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Ryan, don't be escared of the little spikes on the spanish macs.
:lol: i don't use the towel on them.. just those slippery greenies..i could have sworn I read that towel thing on here last year..? thats why i started doing it..
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
OB Paddler

I looked into the bait tube when setting up my kayak at the begining of this year. loved the fact that you don't need to worry about batteries and pumps... and alot cheaper too. I spoke to a guy down at the launch one morning that had a nice bait tube set-up (forgot his name), and his advice was what made me decide. Bait tube get's constant fresh oxygenated water, cheap to build, and with a little practice it's aparently not difficult to handle your bait. The down side is that he did notice after a few hours on the water his bait could get banged up a bit.

I ended up going with a home made bait tank setup, budgeted about 100 bucks for it, and went only slighty over. I know you can build a basic one for alot less. And although I'm still dialing it in i.e. power consumption and flow rates, i notice my bait stays very lively and unmolested even after 5 hrs.

The main advice I can give, seeing as I just went through building a tank is "keep-it-simple-stupid" .... I REALLY SHOULD FOLLOW MY OWN ADVICE :roll:
OB Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
aguachico

I believe macs lose slime like deens lose scales. Lack of O2 and too crowded. That's why buckets are bad, the bait tends to scrape along the wall.

I'm not going to plug the kayatank :shock: Brad already did that 8)

Do a bubble search to find the right amount of bait for your tank. Try 12, then 6 then 9 and see how they hold up. All you need is one lively one.

Also change your bait. Just because it's wiggling when you reel it in doesn't mean it's swimming right on the troll. If a mac doesn't bird nest your spool on the way out - get rid of it.

the old man has spoken.... :roll:
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote