Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
SorryCharlie

LJ 8/17 Emotional Roller-coaster

I was planning to hit LJ on Saturday, but a flat tire (wasn't to annoyed, I needed new tires anyway) after work meant Saturday morning was now for getting new tires.

Hit the water at 6:30 on Sunday to small surf, but my brilliant timing resulted in me charging out right at the start of a set . Aside from getting wet the conditions were awesome, bait everywhere (but I somehow still manage to take a while to fill the tank with greenies.....), nice southerly current, 73 degrees water, sunny, and a nice calm wind.

With a full bait tank I head to the zone that has been working for me lately. Dogs were nice enough to leave bait alone for a little while, but eventually they would nab it. After about 2 hours of trolling, the bait gets nervous.... then line starts peeling off the reel. I won't explain what happens next, I believe the picture below explains it quite well..... I have video of the fight, but all it is is me screaming choice words at sea life, so not much use.
Name:  Sea Lion.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  73.6 KB

Needless to say I am gutted, but determined not to go home fishless. New bait on and it is off to trolling again. The wind picked up in the afternoon, and combined with the big swell resulted in some fun conditions, but the fish were there.

As the day goes on my hope is dropping until, on the last 1 mile run I was making down-current BAMM! The line starts screaming, engage the reel and it doesn't even slow the fish down. Takes about 2/3 of my line in less then 10 seconds, so I start chasing it. I can feel the headshakes and know it’s the right kind, but it has gone through a lot of kelp and gets caught up. After 20 minutes of busting through the kelp I pull up an empty hook...

Missed my second chance.... Quickly get a bait out and start around the same area, 10 minutes later and once again it’s on. The fish runs deep, and after a 10 minute back and forth I land it. Not a big guy (just shy of 13lbs), but I'm stoked!
Name:  140818 YT.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  83.4 KB

Get back to the launch right at 6pm.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
alanhighhand

Nice
alanhighhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Ricsen

Now that's persistence.....nice fish and way to stay with it.
Ricsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
blitzburgh

Way to go!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

Nice fish, persistence pays off!
On another note: Is that a Seeker Pinhead rod you are using? If so, what model are you using to flyline your macs? Are you happy with it? Thanks so much.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
SLYACKER

Nice. Action packed day

Sent using Tapatalk
SLYACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
SorryCharlie

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipripper92592 View Post
Nice fish, persistence pays off!
On another note: Is that a Seeker Pinhead rod you are using? If so, what model are you using to flyline your macs? Are you happy with it? Thanks so much.
Yes, its a seeker TNT 7' CT (30-60 lb). The rod itself is awesome... However I am not to thrilled with my choice of handle and reel seat (or lack there of). I was thinking it would be nice so I could change the reel location depending on what I was fishing off of, but the reel has started to dig into the cork and is causing issues. Also, it would be nice to be able to easily take the reel off to protect it when the surf is larger. I would just recommend getting one with an actual reel seat. One disclaimer, its a fairly stiff rod (), but I prefer that when fishing with the large macs.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
The pelican

Nice work. I was the guy talking to you out there after the cattle boat pulled up on us and you got Kelped by that second fish. Glad to see you kicked the skunk with a nail looking Nice fish. Congrats!

Pat
The pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
dpasinli

yea Charlie! I knew I should have got down there!!! right on bro!
dpasinli is offline   Reply With Quote