Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 10-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Phishphood

LJ 10/22

Got there at dark, launched as it was starting to get light after chatting with Geno a bit. Not too bad as far as surf launches go. Figured out where the kelp was more or less and started trying to make bait. Ended up with 4 Spanish after a while. Next time I need to stick on Geno's heels and figure out how he's getting so many. Also pulled up a 16" kelp bass which I kept.

Didn't really know what to do next so just nose hooked a mac and started trolling it on the outside of the kelp to about due west of the point and then just around there. No big take downs but did lose bait to the dogs. Saw them coming too... Tried making more bait but nothing happening so just practiced casting a little (first time) and headed back. Botched the reentry by falling out in 2ft of water but it's all good.

I went out, came back, didn't lose anything and got a fish. Good enough. Will try again early next week if wx allow.
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Mitch, nice meeting you buddy!

Sorry to hear you didn't get any big biters. Next time my man...next time.

Geno
Old 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Just a little pointer, don't troll your macs too far back. You will still get bit do not worry about that. If you spot a seal coming your way, immediately wind your mac in as fast as you can. The less you feed em the better. Once they get one from you they will stick around much longer and wait for more because they know you have the goods. If you get your mac out, they lose interest faster and they will be on to the next kayak or boat. Also, I like to keep dead baits on deck. That way if I hook into something good and a seal goes for it, I can deter it by throwing out a decoy. Obviously not optimal to feed them like that, but better than a dog getting your dinner.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Superduper
Junior

The best dog deterrent I have found is a sling shot and a bag of marbles. Once I start slinging they bug out ...
Superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
Lipripper92592

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduper View Post
The best dog deterrent I have found is a sling shot and a bag of marbles. Once I start slinging they bug out ...
This works wonders on their dandruff. Walmart vase and flower area for cheep marbles.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote