Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #21
ful-rac
Emperor

It's expensive...they will do PA's on certain trips. But it's alot of fun! The yellows Bit and got Bit on this trip last year.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It's expensive...they will do PA's on certain trips.
Yep................I recall one of the 2.5 trips my total out of pocket cost for everything was around $700, that includes the trip(cost of trip, snacks, tips, etc) fuel to and from SD, dinner at the landing, parking, etc.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #23
Rock Hopper

Our 2.5 day trip last year was $600pp. This year we were quoted $825pp.

Your guys' trips are usually booked through OEX, though, so pricing may be different.
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #24
goldenglory18

Holy mackerel. $800 per person for the boat ride? Someone is getting greedy and sticking it to the plastic navy. Unless their capacity is only 6-8 people, that's an incredibly high price.

Who else can we check with? Why dont we get a list started and see what we can dig up...?
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #25
YakDout
Brandon

For half the money you can spend triple the days fishing in baja. No brainer for me. There are islands there also. And fished much less. The islander trips look cool yes but for the $, much better alternatives to the South.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #26
Mahigeer

Since one fishes from a kayak on these trips, the number of anglers should not matter that much if at all.

It seems to me since the crew does not gaff fish, or do much for anglers during the long hours of fishing on the kayak, the cost of such trips is way over priced.

How much does gas cost?

Then again how many anglers are on each trip to divide the fuel cost?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #27
FISH11

If you don't think the crew does much, then you should try loading and unloading all the kayaks plus all gear and rods for 20+ anglers several time per day of the trip. That is on top of all the other things they have to do for the operation of the ship, fish cleaning loading bait on to your live well, bringing you drinks and snack to your kayak and picking up fish, so you don't have to have then on deck for hours. They don't get to just kick back because we are out on our kayaks. They worked harder then I have seen on any fishing charter boat. You couldn't pay me enough to do that for the kayaker on those trips!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #28
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
If you don't think the crew does much, then you should try loading and unloading all the kayaks plus all gear and rods for 20+ anglers several time per day of the trip. That is on top of all the other things they have to do for the operation of the ship, fish cleaning loading bait on to your live well, bringing you drinks and snack to your kayak and picking up fish, so you don't have to have then on deck for hours. They don't get to just kick back because we are out on our kayaks. They worked harder then I have seen on any fishing charter boat. You couldn't pay me enough to do that for the kayaker on those trips!

Yeah you tell'm MARK!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #29
goldenglory18

Quote:
That's amazing service. I never knew they were that hands on with trips like this!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #30
goldenglory18

double post
Old 01-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #31
FISH11

THE FOOD WAS ALSO AMAZING NOT THE TYPICAL BURGERS, ETC YOU GET ON 1 1/2 DAY OR SHORTER FISHING TRIPS. EVERY MEAL WAS OUTSTANDING, BREAKFAST, LUNCH AND DINER. THEY EVEN HAD SOME FOOD AVAILABLE AT MID AFTERNOON FOR THOSE THAT WANTED IT. THE LOADING AND UNLOADING THE KAYAKS WHEN THE WATER WAS CHOPPY AND WIND BLOWING SOMETIMES OVER 14 MPH, WAS EXTREMELY HARD, YET THE CREW DID IT ALL. VERY HARD WORK. IT WASN'T EASY FOR US KAYAKERS AT TIMES, BUT A LOT HARDER FOR THE CREW LIFTING THOSE KAYAK ESPECIALLY THOSE, TWO BEAST, PA 14'S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0267.jpg (38.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0326.jpg (36.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0345.jpg (30.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0365.jpg (42.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #32
TheBentRod

Did you see the shark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
It's expensive...they will do PA's on certain trips. But it's alot of fun! The yellows Bit and got Bit on this trip last year.

How big was the shark that hit it?
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #33
jorluivil

Quote:

Because of the things noted above I was able to do the things noted below

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I recall fishing from darkness to sunset which was from right around 0530 until almost 2100. I don't recall how I fished all day without having to crap but I do recall that the sun has just set when I finally got back on the mothership.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #34
Rock Hopper

Don't get me wrong, the new pricing is a bit tough to swallow but it is still totally worth it. On previous kayaking trips the Islander folks were starting to not even break even with what they were charging. Owner/Captain John was hinting to this on our 3.5 day trip last year.

Mahigeer - if you have any doubts as to whether the crew busts their asses off or not, try reading just about any review of their operation. They are TOP NOTCH. The one thing you will see repeated time after time is how awesome the crew is and how hard they work to make everything damn near PERFECT. The boat is also in pristine condition. I didn't realize how nice it is to have two to a bunkroom until I had the opportunity to go out on other boats. I won't mention the other two boats I've been out on (both well known and both good fish producers) but the Islander blew 'em both out of the water in regards to cleanliness, accommodations, and overall space to relax.

Also, as mentioned, the food is off the hook. Three real meals and snacks in between. I've never eaten so well over a three day period.

Anyway - I didn't mean to start up a debate, just wanted to let you guys know that the prices have gone up a bit this year.
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:47 AM   #35
Mahigeer

Looks like I had the wrong idea about what goes on these type of trips with regards to the crew.

Still, $825.00 is a lot of money for 2.5 days. Not all of it fishing.

I hope someday I can effort it though.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #36
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hopper View Post
Anyway - I didn't mean to start up a debate, just wanted to let you guys know that the prices have gone up a bit this year.
No, thats awesome. I think a lot of us are surprised to hear just how well serviced these trips can be. I legitimately thought it was load boat, ride out to the spot, dump yaks, fish, reverse process. I never thought about the food, service, etc.

I'm super interested in this, so long as I can make the $$ work...
Old 01-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #37
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Looks like I had the wrong idea about what goes on these type of trips with regards to the crew.

Still, $825.00 is a lot of money for 2.5 days. Not all of it fishing.

I hope someday I can effort it though.

Actually, you get TWO FULL days of fishing. If you play your cards right you can fish from sun up to sun down.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #38
jbl_91762

I better start saving now. Come on income tax return!! I see whatever I get going towards this trip.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote