Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #1
kirkdavis

Gaff inspired by Tin Slayer 28

Looking at Tin Slayer's gaffs inspired me to make one of my own. My brother used his blacksmith skills to make a hook from an old farmers rake tine. Since the steel is antique I decided to continue the theme. Black bamboo for the shaft and rawhide for the wrapping. I was short on rawhide by the time I got to the handle, but I had a brainstorm and tried making " expanded rawhide " like they make expanded steel. It worked great! It gives a very good grip and is aesthetically pleasing (looks good)as well. I'm in the process of coating with marine urethane, then I will take it out to secure the big fish that's waiting for me to catch it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
45user

Looks real nice!

45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
cabojohn
PROBATION

Pretty neat Kirk!
The Tin Slayer does beautiful work.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post

Looking at Tin Slayer's gaffs inspired me to make one of my own. My brother used his blacksmith skills to make a hook from an old farmers rake tine. Since the steel is antique I decided to continue the theme. Black bamboo for the shaft and rawhide for the wrapping. I was short on rawhide by the time I got to the handle, but I had a brainstorm and tried making " expanded rawhide " like they make expanded steel. It worked great! It gives a very good grip and is aesthetically pleasing (looks good)as well. I'm in the process of coating with marine urethane, then I will take it out to secure the big fish that's waiting for me to catch it!

that rawhide might get real slick when it gets wet. Have you used it yet? I would be interested in how it is once it gets wet.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
kirkdavis

That is why i'm coating it with marine grade urethane so the rawhide doesn't get wet. Also, even though I stretched it on while it was wet, if it got wet again it would stretch a bit more and everything would be loose. I'll let you know if I have any problems.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
That is why i'm coating it with marine grade urethane so the rawhide doesn't get wet. Also, even though I stretched it on while it was wet, if it got wet again it would stretch a bit more and everything would be loose. I'll let you know if I have any problems.
Hopefully the varnish will give you the protection. We varnish rawhide in saddles and that works unless the saddle gets soaked then it will come loose and the tree will be weakened.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #7
kirkdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Hopefully the varnish will give you the protection. We varnish rawhide in saddles and that works unless the saddle gets soaked then it will come loose and the tree will be weakened.
Legitimate concern Harry. I have some saddle experience, but I was thinking more along the lines of old fashioned snowshoes. They varnished them up with multiple coats, and as long as the varnish didn't wear completely off they are fine.
In the end, time will tell, and I will be sure to post if I have any problems. I will also post when I use it to gaff big fishies!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
Legitimate concern Harry. I have some saddle experience, but I was thinking more along the lines of old fashioned snowshoes. They varnished them up with multiple coats, and as long as the varnish didn't wear completely off they are fine.
In the end, time will tell, and I will be sure to post if I have any problems. I will also post when I use it to gaff big fishies!
come and gaff a big halibut for me to help me be a believer.