Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Mahigeer

One for the good guys.

I just received this email form Tom at Sportfishing Conservancy as an update and taught to share it.

I have been inspected by officer Rojas and his partner on the Mole several times. A true professional.

Back by popular demand, and direct from the California Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement Division's (November) Monthly Report, an update on the efforts of California game wardens:

"Patrol Vessel Thresher Wildlife Officers Rojas and Holemo boarded a commercial lobster vessel out at San Clemente Island. Upon inspection of the vessel, they found 110 undersize lobsters which were more than half of the fisherman's total catch. This is the largest commercial short lobster case Lt. Kord has seen in his career. Charges for multiple Fish and Game Code violations are being filed."
"Wildlife Officer Sandvig was patrolling the Dana Point Harbor launch ramp at 9:00 p.m. when he contacted two men coming in aboard a vessel. The men were acting very nervous. Upon contact, Sandvig found their bucket contained several short lobsters. At that time, Wildlife Officer Rojas arrived to assist with the investigation. After a search of the boat and vehicle belonging to the suspects, the officers discovered the two men had 63 spiny lobsters in possession. The legal limit is seven per licensed fisherman. Thirty of those lobsters were undersize, and an additional 31 were just the lobster tails that had been illegally removed from the body of the lobsters. The subjects were cited accordingly."
After reading their stories, a couple of things become abundantly clear. First, our wardens do an incredible job and next, whether commercial or recreational in origin, Fish and Game law violations are criminal and need to be treated as such.

One for the good guys.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
kirkdavis

Hammer down

They really need to put the hammer down on gross violators like those guys. It doesn't take very many like that to deplete the stock.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
CrazzyGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
I just received this email form Tom at Sportfishing Conservancy as an update and taught to share it.

I have been inspected by officer Rojas and his partner on the Mole several times. A true professional.

Back by popular demand, and direct from the California Fish and Wildlife Law Enforcement Division's (November) Monthly Report, an update on the efforts of California game wardens:

"Patrol Vessel Thresher Wildlife Officers Rojas and Holemo boarded a commercial lobster vessel out at San Clemente Island. Upon inspection of the vessel, they found 110 undersize lobsters which were more than half of the fisherman's total catch. This is the largest commercial short lobster case Lt. Kord has seen in his career. Charges for multiple Fish and Game Code violations are being filed."

"Wildlife Officer Sandvig was patrolling the Dana Point Harbor launch ramp at 9:00 p.m. when he contacted two men coming in aboard a vessel. The men were acting very nervous. Upon contact, Sandvig found their bucket contained several short lobsters. At that time, Wildlife Officer Rojas arrived to assist with the investigation. After a search of the boat and vehicle belonging to the suspects, the officers discovered the two men had 63 spiny lobsters in possession. The legal limit is seven per licensed fisherman. Thirty of those lobsters were undersize, and an additional 31 were just the lobster tails that had been illegally removed from the body of the lobsters. The subjects were cited accordingly."

After reading their stories, a couple of things become abundantly clear. First, our wardens do an incredible job and next, whether commercial or recreational in origin, Fish and Game law violations are criminal and need to be treated as such.

One for the good guys.

Solid Job on their part. I hope the other Wardens do the same...!!!
I call when I see Gross Violations. Ignorance isn't an excuse....!!! Getting hit in the pocket book or jail time is how they will learn.
It's more disturbing that the Commercial boats do it. Wonder if they can charge the Commercial buyers for buying shorts....???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrazzyGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

MRC

"Fish and Game law violations are criminal and need to be treated as such"
Thanks Hasheim...You'll find no argument here...although I'm sure there's somebody out there that forgot to fill out his report card and was busted for something that simple...he may disagree...but that's what Judges are for!
FYI...Long Range skipper and commercial lobsterman Brian Kiohara spoke to the DFW MRC staff and two DFG Commissioners at the last Marine Resources Committee meeting in early November about the lack of follow through on the tickets and convictions of poachers...the District Attorneys were letting convicted poachers go with just a "slap on the hand" fine and often times with no gear confiscated.
These two convictions that Hasheim posted about were announced at that meeting by DFW Lieutenant Bob Puchinelli and it was a good topping to Brian statements...I think the two Commissioners heard it...but will they do anything about it this time?
The Lobster Advisory Committee had a few discussions about it with the Executive Director of the DFG Commission...but it was "out of the scope of our work"...and didn't really gain any traction. Bummer!
Coastal Conservation Association executive director Wayne Kotow also made the same type of statement at the last DFG Commission meeting in San Diego in mid December...this was recognized by the Western Outdoor News in this editorial.

Somehow the DA's and Judges need to be educated about the importance of our marine resources.
Is there a beating your head against the wall emoticon?

Here's some good news...CCA CAL added 70 new Members at last weeks seminars at Dana Landing due to Steve Pinard's generous offer of a $40 gift card for every $30 CCA membership...What a Win-Win deal that was.
I'll be at the wet Bay Bass Tourney on Saturday at Shelter Island at the CCA table if anyone wants to get some information about the Battle of the Bays Tournaments or CCA CAL. We'll be testing the I-Angler and TourneyX apps for the tournaments.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Shut the commercial shellfishing down, screw it! How many of us actually buy lobster at market prices when they are so easily obtained recreationally. Leave some more for us little guys, anyway.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
FISH11

When it's some small things such as forgetting to fill out a card or having a fish less than an inch from legal, there should be a warning. Several under size fish or lobster should get a fine. The gross over limits and large number of under legal size, should result in immediate confiscation of all gear, including boats. If someone can loose a car coming across the border because the border patrol finds a join or part of one, than loosing a boat for such a gross thing as poaching is not only necessary but should be mandatory. Fines and jail time should also follow.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
chris138
donkey roper

Thanks for sharing

Supposedly this is one of the worst commercial lobster seasons on record. So glad our CA wardens are out protecting our fishery, but they can only do so much. Thank you DFG and CCA!

Yet we still have sportsmen in our community who complain about buying a fishing licence, like DFG is their enemy or something.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Shut the commercial shellfishing down, screw it! How many of us actually buy lobster at market prices when they are so easily obtained recreationally. Leave some more for us little guys, anyway.
Profitable market is overseas a couple thousand miles west of here.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #9
PapaDave

Not sure, but I think the lobsters you buy in the markets out here aren't from here, they are from other countries.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #10
Mahigeer

I believe that the fines (at least portion of it) should go toward making a Public Service Announcements on TV. They should collect fines and have PSA TV segments in different languages, broadcasted in corresponding channels. This will inform the general public that such and such is illegal, which in turn make them more aware.

It will also put the poachers on notice that there are more eyes to watch them, even if they do not have the authority to do anything.
Poachers are very aware and knowledgeable about the laws, but some in general public want to follow the law and are not aware of what is right and wrong.

Furthermore; they are not aware of the consequences of violating the laws. If they see that keeping a short lobster could be a costly fine, they may think twice before doing it.

I saw at the Redondo Muni. pier, a pound of spiny lobster with the shell is about $46.00. That is with the shell.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 AM   #11
bwana

It makes me mad every time I hear this stuff.

A commercial poacher with this serious of a violation should not only loose their gear and equipment but their license as well along with heavy fines and jail time.

That will make a statement to all other commercial fishermen.

The recreational lobster poachers should also loose their equipment and boat along with heavy fines and jail time as this was not an "honest mistake."

Put that out to the media and put everyone on notice that enough is enough.

A mistake is one thing but an egregious violation needs to be dealt with harshly. I catch a lot of shorts and ones that are close. If it is even borderline I let it go.

We all hunt and fish and we have a responsibility to protect our resources for future generations.

CalTIP is in my phone 1-888-334-2258. Don't poach around me.

The last week of December I caught the largest Sculpin I have ever seen. I did not hesitate to let him go as the season was closed until the first. I had checked closures before heading out.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Yet we still have sportsmen in our community who complain about buying a fishing licence, like DFG is their enemy or something.
True story. Ignorance is bliss. Thankfully I think the sportsmen that fall into this category are far and few between. It just seems like there are a lot of them because they like to bark loud and spew their opinions freely. They're similar to the people that exerted their influence on a certain blue ribbon task force that was around in recent years.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote