Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

Need more reports on La Jolla

Is La Jolla that dead. Judging from the few reports that are coming in it does not look good. I was hoping to take my daughter's boyfriend" Drik" out to La Jolla tomorrow just to catch any kind of fish out there. How's the calico fishing today. Are the bonito few and far between. He will have fun catching anything this ocean kayak fishing is a new to him and he really like's it so far. So any more info on La Jolla will help. Thanks everyone. I fished Pt. Loma today from the colege to 1 mile south of there for a pretty good barrie and a few bonito bite today. No bait today mostly on brown back and gold sided plugs and a few on the iron. I just want to save Dirk the long paddle he is still new to this. Again thanks. Jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
lamb

Jim,

we mostly worked 80' - 110' for many barracuda, few bonito. Lings were on the chew. Bait hard to find... Found only a few tiny marks, and that was deeper in 50' - 60'; couldn’t make any bait. Majority of people fished the NW corner... I thought it wasn't as bad as you’d expect on weekend this time of the year. Lot of boaters headed West.

Couple small yellas were caught, no luck for us.

Good seeing you this morning.

I imagine it can get pretty dangerous getting through the jetties? Lot of people start gunning it right past the 5mph mark…
Old 06-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Johnp

Jim, i went inside for calicos after i missed something on the flyline and a couple on the bottom. One looked like it had been through the ling cod shredder

Threw 5" swimbaits i made, different colors were working but black top with clear silver glitter belly was a good choice.

It wasn't wide open and i did not spend too much time at it, But they are there and willing to bite.

Fished in around 30' around hotel vicinity. Floating grass and kelp to snag on and still enough kelp to get snagged on. Lots of bumps and pull the skirt down and some stuck.

Passed a pile of floating debris that had bait jumping out of it and boils around it, current pretty strong at that point cast at it and had a decent size one on for a few saw color and he was gone.

Only one i put on the boga was 2.5 and all were released.

A few weeks ago i did the same thing and it was wide open, kind of fun on light gear and plastics. Good Luck, I do believe you can put him on fish there.

They are shredding the plastic pretty fast so bring extra if you go that route. John
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

to Johnp and Lamb

Johnp and Lamb. That' the information I was looking for to make my mind up about tomorrow. Lamb, yes you have to watch your back when going out the channel to make sure they see you early morning and at grey light. The channel gets busy that early in the morning. Its was a suprise to see you this morning in the channel. thanks for you help guys. Jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote