Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 1-26-2022

Just needing get out on the water more, than I had in the last couple month. Magic Seaweed had surf and wind forecast on some days that said 3'-5' and wind 10-17 mph, but looking at the beach cams showed almost normal to small surf. When I got there in was very small and almost like a lake by first light and by 6:35 the surf had upped to 2'-4' and wind 4-7 mph, Not unusual, but these were shore pounders, so they would wall up and crash right were you're staging in thigh deep water and waiting for the break to jump on and get through the surf zone. Had to jump up with my arms on the Solo Skiff to let the wave pass, without taking one as high as my face. I prefer not getting wet before even getting out. To be fair to Magic Seaweed the wave over by the pier and in font of the Cove were large and very impressive. Caught some macs, drifted and trolled live bait, but no hits. Caught a couple rock fish while making macs in deep water and descended then both. Saw some whales and a couple Humpback breaching, that's always a great to see. The fishing as everyone knows, has been slow. Guess what all the videos I see lately show the same elsewhere, colder weather and all the other reasons one can come up with. In the end getting out there on the water SHOULD be more than catching fish. Being out, off the couch and enjoying nature, SHOULD be the best reason. Tight Lines!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G0011031.jpg (48.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1030_Moment(3).jpg (36.3 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 01-27-2022 at 01:05 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
Salty

That sunrise is always reason enough for me. Fish are a good bonus!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Nice! Hate it when the weather apps are off. Good therapy! Right now fishing is also super slow in SE Florida.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Saw some whales and a couple Humpback breaching, that's always a great to see.
That alone makes the trip worth it.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:47 PM   #5
FISH11

Whales

Just put together some clips of the Whales I saw and one of Humpback that was breaching several time further away but I only was able the video one great jump and splash. Great times seeing whales out in La Jolla.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:34 AM   #6
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Just put together some clips of the Whales I saw and one of Humpback that was breaching several time further away but I only was able the video one great jump and splash. Great times seeing whales out in La Jolla.
Good share, Breaching whales are cool. Dang Gopro makes them look farther away than they are. Anything other than Greys is unique. Have yet to see any whales off SE Florida, The NE has a 10mph dynamic speed limit to protect the Right Whales. At higher speeds, the whales can sometimes get impaled on the bulbous bow of ships.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote