Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-14-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
crashcrow

LJ Reds and almost Ling 8/12

Lots of people out on Saturday, I stayed away from the crowd until I got limits of rockfish and almost had my first lingcod but he shook the hook at the surface. I brought a friend out in my spare kayak, poor guy was sick and puking the whole time so he headed in early and hung out on the beach. Then headed towards the NW corner with a 6" mac on the flyline... I still haven't gotten a bite on my flylined mac... There were a ton of boats and kayaks out but still cant figure out if its just my setup or luck. I'm using 65lb braid with a 50lb flouro topshot, #4hook and 2oz sliding egg sinker to get him down a bit... am I missing something? Maybe I just need to put more time in as that's where I figure out something new everyday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Attached Images

crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
bolocop

50# fluoro may be overkill.
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
50# fluoro may be overkill.
I was thinking the same thing... maybe 30?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
Eh, in my very uneducated opinion, I think a lot of saltwater guys are way over rigged for the size fish they are after.

I'm consistently rigged with either 10lbs Flouro on my bass sticks, or 25lbs flouro on my "yellow/game fish" sticks. Any heavy stuff like vertical jig or drop loop rigs, its 30lbs MAX, and sometimes I even under rig with just 25lbs mono.

Know your terminal knot and drag setting are far and beyond more important to landing a large fish than your line. It may take you a little longer to land that 35lbs yellow on 25lbs flouro, but he bit the 25lbs line in the first place....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #5
fourtogo

Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Eh, in my very uneducated opinion, I think a lot of saltwater guys are way over rigged for the size fish they are after.

I'm consistently rigged with either 10lbs Flouro on my bass sticks, or 25lbs flouro on my "yellow/game fish" sticks. Any heavy stuff like vertical jig or drop loop rigs, its 30lbs MAX, and sometimes I even under rig with just 25lbs mono.

Know your terminal knot and drag setting are far and beyond more important to landing a large fish than your line. It may take you a little longer to land that 35lbs yellow on 25lbs flouro, but he bit the 25lbs line in the first place....
What would be lowest size equipment you need for rock to YT .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
crashcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
What would be lowest size equipment you need for rock to YT .
I use a completely different setup for bottom fishing. Shimano Trevala with Baitrunner 8000, 40 lb braid to 20 lb flouro. Had lots of luck with a small jig with cut bait on the hook.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #7
Carnevale24
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
Still slowly figuring things out myself caught a big wsb Friday with 25lb there's a picture I posted in a report don't know the weight people on the beach said 40-50 and 30-40
Carnevale24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #8
crashcrow

Thanks guys for the info! @ Carnevale nice WSB! Congratulations! I'm going to rig lighter and see what happens.