Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Kings Harbor Parking/Launch?

Hi All,

I'm in LA this weekend and some friends wanted to rent some kayaks. They are probably renting from Rocky Point in Kings Harbor, and I will be bringing my own Marauder.

We'll probably be on the water for about 4-5 hours, starting around 7:00A.

Where can we park (cheap) and launch?

I see Veterans Park just south of the Harbor, but that looks like meter parking everywhere.

My brother-in-law also told me they stopped doing the "Hand Launch" pricing at the usual Kings Harbor parking lot. Is this true?

Last time I was at Kings Harbor I used the Hand Launch ramp and they honored the 8-hour parking thing, but that was about 3+ years ago!

Thanks BWE Peeps!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
GregAndrew

You can get a validation at the tackle shop on the pier for $2 parking.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
addicted2sp33d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
You can get a validation at the tackle shop on the pier for $2 parking.
Cool! Do we need to show them a rental receipt or can we just ask for a validation?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Cool! Do we need to show them a rental receipt or can we just ask for a validation?
If you get chat with the guy that works there he'll set you up. But, seriously if you chat with Scott for a while you'll never leave since he's got so many stories.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Mahigeer

There is a dock for kayaks, Sup, etc. to the right (north) of the Redondo Sportfishing pier.

If you eat at Poly's On The Pier, they will validate for 2 hrs. and the parking should be $1.00. They close at 2:00 Pm and only take cash.

If you get validation from the bait shop, it is good for all day for $2.00 parking fee.

A small purchase, (frozen bait, sinker, etc.) from the bait shop though not necessary is a good idea in return.

You can tell Scott that we (Hashem) are on the kayak website.

You can also fish the pier until closing around 6:00 PM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
addicted2sp33d

Thanks guys. I'm playing tour guide, but you can be sure I'll be trolling something behind me while I'm showing my friends around.

I'm going to go ask Rocky Point if they'll let me launch from their dock, so I don't have to launch from the Hand Launch ramp and then paddle over to meet with my friends.

I'll let you know how it goes... last time I was here I landed a few Bonito inside the harbor!
Old 06-05-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

bones...

Haven't seen any Bones in the Harbor since January...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d

There is Life...

So Rocky Point was nice enough to let me launch from their dock with my friends instead of trekking all the way back to the hand launch.

Scored some free parking too - saved a few bucks there.

I trolled a Bass Pro Shops 5" Lure in Sardine color (really just a blue-back that I added some sharpie-dots on the sides)... about 6' - 8' swim depth. Not really fishing, but if I'm going to be on the water, you can bet I'm going to have some line in the water!

The instant we paddle past the Life Guard dock into the main harbor, my rod goes bendo! My first reaction was "crap, I hooked a piling". Once I grabbed the rod I felt headshakes! What a great start to the day! I had literally been on the water maybe 2 minutes.

Reeled it in pretty easily (running 40lb braid), nothing special: 2-foot Barracuda. Unhooked him, my niece looked at him a bit, and we released him.

Unfortunately, the Seals nearby saw my action, and suddenly we were surrounded. My niece was excited about the seals, but secretly I was hoping for more cold-blooded company. After that, the bite in the harbor was non-existent.

It didn't help that the guys on the bait barge were feeding dead bait to the seals.

I continued playing tour guide, showing my friends the piers, hand launch, rich guys' yachts, and tried to lead them outside the harbor to the larger concrete pier and the beach.

My friends didn't make it across the face of the pier and decided to turn back.

I kept going south until I got past the pier. We were maybe 100 yards offshore from the pier. On my return leg, something grabbed my lure and instantly started pulling drag and headed out to sea!

I held on for about 30 seconds while it continued to take line and pull me out to sea, getting a 10-15 second sleigh ride out of it, and suddenly the line went slack.

I have no idea what it was - I got my lure back and I couldn't tell if there were any new bite marks on it. Headshakes felt like a big Bonito, very fast.

That's about as exciting as it got. My friends were pretty tired from being on the water for 3 hours, so we headed back in and grabbed lunch at Quality Seafood Inc.

Weather was beautiful, swell was small-ish.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
King Saba

Making the most of your trip. That's the way to do it. Sounds like a fun time out.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote