Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Redondo Info...

The City of Redondo Beach is embarking on a comprehensive process to establish a Public Amenities Plan for King Harbor.
I have received a couple of emails from the Harbor Commission and one of the representative stakeholders from the King Harbor Yacht Club asking me to reach out to the kayaking community to get some feed back on our desires or wishes for the new launch facilities. The letter from the Harbor commission stated that these changes are a long way from happening but they are interested in “how or if the current hand launch can be improved (we’ll likely have it where it is for a while), if you would like the hand launch to remain where it is, or move down to moonstone park (pretty far from the mouth of the harbor in my opinion). If it stays where it is, it may end up somewhat near the boat launch. Also do you like the dock launch, would you prefer a zero depth beach launch, etc. I would not expect the city or the consultant to figure out what’s good for kayaks, but I think they would be pretty willing to create what you want as long as you can work within limited space and share with SUPS and other hand launch stuff.”

Here's a little cut and paste from Mark and the “South Bay Echo” on some of the info…

This is from Mark at the Yacht Club….

“The City of Redondo Beach is embarking on a comprehensive
process to establish a Public Amenities Plan for King Harbor.
Those amenities will include:
Public Boat Launch Ramp
Seaside Lagoon Replacement
Potential New Sportfishing Pier
Dinghy Dock for Moorings Field
Hand Launching/Zero Depth Entry
Mole B: Outriggers & Sailboat Storage

There will be a couple of Pop Ups and an
online Community Meeting in December.
A Working Committee has been established, including
three Harbor Commissioners, four Stakeholders,
and a variety of City Staff.
I have been appointed to that Committee, which has
convened twice, with three more meetings to come.
There are three Community Meetings planned.
I will keep you updated and solicit your help in
making our anglers aware of this process.

Mark Hansen KHYC"

This is from David Rosenfeld and his “South Bay Echo” for Nov. 25th…
“With a sense of deja vu all over again, Redondo Beach officials began soliciting this week ideas to improve King Harbor, marking the first steps toward a renewed waterfront project since the last one fell apart four years ago. The first public meeting to hear from the architects and share ideas will be held virtually 6:30 p.m. Dec. 15. To sign up click here.
It was in 2017 when the city scuttled a deal with CenterCal Properties for a $400 million makeover. The project was essentially torpedoed by public opinion and the Coastal Commission while the whole thing wound up in court in the end. The latest iteration envisions a more scaled-down approach that would include improvements to Moostone Park, Seaside Lagoon and the International Boardwalk, replacement of the sportfishing pier and adding a small boat launch and a dinghy dock.
For more on the plan so far and to participate in the process visit KHAmenitiesPlan.com.”

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
SoCalEDC

I find the dock style launch to be a hassle. It gets crowded, slippery when wet, and is difficult to stage kayaks or skis on the dock during busy hours. I like the idea of a zero depth beach launch spot for us kayakers/SUP'ers, even better if its in addition to the dock as I know some fellas prefer the dock for ease of hauling a boat up and down it.

As for the location, moving the launch site near moonstone park could provide an opportunity for an easier parking location, the current location is not bad, but in the afternoons it becomes a chore to squeeze down the road with all of the pedestrians and other paddlers and their vehicles parked along the edges of the narrow access road. Additionally the proposed new location may provide access to better facilities ,actual bathrooms at the park, as opposed to the porto-potty that is always disgusting at the current launch.

Thanks for sharing and giving the opportunity to chime in.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I'm not really sure what a zero depth hand launch is but I can imagine that it's better than the floating dock solution right now. Being able to drive our vehicles right up to the launch would be nice too
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
Saba Slayer

launch

Zero depth launch = a beach type launch...they are considering blowing out the "lagoon" area and using it as a sand beach kayak SUP launch.
Personally I'd rather not have to drag my Pro Angler through the sand...

"drive our vehicles right up to the launch" = a boat ramp...
another part of their considerations on the amenities, is a Public Boat Launch Ramp...

"the current location is not bad, but in the afternoons it becomes a chore to squeeze down the road with all of the pedestrians and other paddlers and their vehicles parked along the edges of the narrow access road. Additionally the proposed new location may provide access to better facilities ,actual bathrooms at the park, as opposed to the porto-potty that is always disgusting at the current launch."
I guess you didn't really read the initial post...
"Redondo Beach officials began soliciting this week ideas to improve King Harbor, marking the first steps toward a renewed waterfront project..."
“The City of Redondo Beach is embarking on a comprehensive
process to establish a Public Amenities Plan for King Harbor.
Those amenities will include:
Public Boat Launch Ramp
Seaside Lagoon Replacement
Potential New Sportfishing Pier
Dinghy Dock for Moorings Field
Hand Launching/Zero Depth Entry
Mole B: Outriggers & Sailboat Storage

Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
fishnfoool

Valet service for my kayak would be nice.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
jorluivil

How about they enforce the following:

No camping out on the dock
No mooring for more than 30min
Loading and unloading limited to 30min
Ramp must remain clear of kayaks, sups, strollers, grills, hoopnets and homeless people
No setting up your kayak in the middle of the launch during hooping season
If you're going to drive into the launch area you have to know how to drive in reverse

I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
Polychrest
Junior

I want one of these.

https://thedockdoctors.com/commercial-kayak-launch-dock
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
hiramehunter

I frequent the hand launch and I appreciate that they are open to getting some feedback.
I don't mind the location at all. There's ample parking and it's not that too far to roll the kayak to the hand launch area.
It would be nice to have an area big enough for cars to drop off the yaks and then go park. The area near the porta potty is too small but I do use it from time to time.
I definitely would hate to traverse any sand to enter the water. It just sucks to drag a loaded kayak across sand to the water. Plus gets everything sandy.
The hand launch could be bigger but it's fine. Could it be nicer, yes. It could be bigger but I appreciate that it's even there.
A nicer bathroom would be great. my 2 cents
hiramehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:25 AM   #9
SoCalEDC

Yes, a sandy beach launch is precisely what I had in mind, much preferred to launching from a dock or ramp IN MY OPINION. For those anglers who don’t like the sand launch I totally understand, in which case utilize the projected boat ramp.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #10
GregAndrew

Concrete boat ramp is a no vote from me. For ease of getting to the water and cleaning after, I prefer the dock. The one at Redondo would benefit from being constructed to be more durable. The current location is pretty darn good for getting outside the harbor. Although something similar by the hoist would probably not require winter removal. The biggest challenge right now though is the volume of traffic on the road and the dock created by the rental companies and their customers. Restrooms would be nice, but not in the current location. That hidden area would just invite damage and improper use.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #11
Paul1066
Junior

Launching

I have a PA12 Hobie , I am also handicapped. anything easier with near zero level launch dock like they use for rowing-sculls doubles 4s 8s . I don’t carry much on my PA . But dragging it up on to the currant dock takes all I can do . And having folks wondering about as I back down the path is a big issue . Pedestrians don’t really care what you are doing .
Paul1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
Polychrest
Junior

Not many kayaks on the call last night. If you want to be heard then please fill out the survey.
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
Simmonsdlwa
Junior

Ramp

Hasn’t the California Coastal Commission already said a ramp is a must for any project in Redondo? Funny, all this was already all cued up but I guess in Cali lawsuits are sport. I doubt any of us will be around when they finally do do anything in Redondo.
Simmonsdlwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
Saba Slayer

voters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmonsdlwa View Post
Hasn’t the California Coastal Commission already said a ramp is a must for any project in Redondo? Funny, all this was already all cued up but I guess in Cali lawsuits are sport. I doubt any of us will be around when they finally do do anything in Redondo.
Yes the Coastal Commission has made it clear that the project must include a boat ramp for public access...

A major reconstruction of the waterfront area was in the planning stages and was starting to look like another South Bay Mall with a theater and all including a 4 story parking structure...BUT...Bill Brand the Mayor and enough voters decided to shut it down and start over with something that made sense to the community and not just the $ developers...

Do the survey and express your opinions while you can...
https://www.menti.com/jhjvd1ex3g/0