Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

Question on handling BSB

FYI

California Department of Fish and Game News Release
NEWS RELEASES FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : February 10, 2011

California Outdoors Q & A: Photographing No-Take Species

Question: I fish in Southern California and have a question about black sea bass. I know they are illegal to keep when caught. However, when they are caught while targeting other species, what is the regulation for releasing them? After the hook is removed and swim bladder punctured, may a picture be taken with the fish out of the water before it is released? I am under the impression they may not be removed from the water. I ask because a friend of mine accidentally caught a small black sea bass (about 30 lbs.) and after removing the hook and puncturing the swim bladder, he held it up and posed for a quick picture with the fish. I told him I didn't think that was legal and he argued it was. He did release the fish immediately after the photo was taken, and the fish swam off, apparently unharmed. I've searched the website for clarification, but have found nothing. Can you please clarify this issue for me? We are very conscientious fisherman. (Dave L.)

Answer: Giant (black) sea bass and other no-take species cannot be retained and must be released immediately. Therefore, holding the fish out of the water for a picture is unlawful. The best case scenario for the fish would be to cut the line while it is still in the water.

The definition of "take" is to "hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill an animal, or to attempt to do so" (California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 1.80). So, by catching the fish, reeling it in, taking it off the hook and holding it up for a picture, your friend has "taken" a prohibited species. He also did not release it immediately as required.

Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Associate Marine Biologist Ed Roberts published a great article on best practices for releasing rockfish, giant sea bass and other fish with swim bladders that inflate at the surface, thus preventing them from ascending successfully following capture. The article was published in the January/February 2005 issue of Outdoor California magazine, available online at www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/archives/J_F_05_16-19.pdf.

Needles and sharp objects should never be used to deflate a fish's swim bladder. Even though the fish may be able to descend below the surface following a puncture, many will still die due to internal damage and/or the introduction of bacteria caused by the needles.

** See underwater video of Giant Sea Bass at https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com ***

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 02-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote