Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I need some advice.

So after months of research and me kicking and screaming like a kid that does not want to leave a toy store, My wife finely got me to buy a vehicle that has a radiator. So we spent a long day at a dealership and drove off in a titan. while crunching the numbers, options and all that goes with haggling over a vehicle, I forgot that I own a yak. The truck has a Hard Snug top tonneau cover and I need help finding a rack for the yak. I dont really want to take the cover off every time I go out, (I got little girly arms) I have a hitch and the bed extender option is being explored but if anyone out there has something that may be better let me know. thanks in advance.

on a side note, with 17 mpg and a full crew cab anyone wanna truck pool to the launch, I got a full size crew cab.

on another side note in a few weeks I might have a 1968 bug for sale...
still kicking and screaming over that one.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
fishsouthcounty

does this mean youll be changing your name to titan kid?

is it a regular size bed? cant the kayak just open the cover, put the yak in, strap'er down and close the cover back up?
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
does this mean youll be changing your name to titan kid?

is it a regular size bed? cant the kayak just open the cover, put the yak in, strap'er down and close the cover back up?
1. No name change!!!!
2.Yes it's a regular bed 6.5 feet. I have considered that too. just looking at my options.

Hows your stealth, been out killing at all?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
fishsouthcounty

haha thats good. hopefully all works out and your able to hold onto the bug too. I just picked up a bed extender for my Ranger from MtnByker when he was on his way to the SI get together over the weekend.

unfortunately i have only had 1 opportunity to take it out between all this crappy weather and work. This week looks good for weather and i only have 3 days working....gonna hit fred hall thursday so hoping to get the yak in the water wednesday and saturday.

The one trip ive gotten in was short lived as the connection of the hose from the pump up to the PVC elbow piece into the bait well was not water tight. I think the hose clamp just needs to be tightened...gonna float it in the pool tomorrow and make sure. After i realized that halfway down the channel in DP harbor i turned off the pump to throw plastics...then realized that at the last minute i minimized the amount of tackle i was gonna bring with me which caused me to forget my license. pretty solid failure of a first trip. But as far as a first paddle i definitely dig it. Hopefully wednesday will yield better results.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

wow you got lucky on that 1st trip. That's the reason I have a external bait tank. Too scared of taking on water while I'm out. I even keep my hand pump strapped to the back of my seat. As for the bed extender harbor freight has one for $60.00 going to look at it later this month, we will be at the Hall show friday so I'm going to send my 3 kids all under 10 years of age over to the oex booth to bug Andy into a deal on a rack of some sort, so I can put my yak over the cab and on the rack in the back.That way I can toss all my gear in the bed and still have room in the cab.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
wow you got lucky on that 1st trip. That's the reason I have a external bait tank. Too scared of taking on water while I'm out. I even keep my hand pump strapped to the back of my seat. As for the bed extender harbor freight has one for $60.00 going to look at it later this month, we will be at the Hall show friday so I'm going to send my 3 kids all under 10 years of age over to the oex booth to bug Andy into a deal on a rack of some sort, so I can put my yak over the cab and on the rack in the back.That way I can toss all my gear in the bed and still have room in the cab.
hey,
I saw a F150 Lightning with a snug top tanneau, and he was using what Tim got from me, actually, Regor has a Revo on one with lights, no problems, also that rack can be set up to run it level with the cab roof line...which is a cleaner install, except the salt water leaves spots on the paint, it comes off but...I just deal with it....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
evilkhemist

This may not help, but I easily fit my Hobie Outback (~12ft in length) into my Tacoma with a 6ft bed. It only hangs about 2.5ft to 3ft pass the tailgate (its at an angle).
evilkhemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

yeah I'm not to worried about the paint on the snug, I got 3 kids they can wash the truck while I wash off all my gear. Hay mtnbyker2 you should have held on to that rack until I bought my truck, that I didn't know I was going to buy. I'm waiting for Jim or Bob to pop in here, with all the great ideas they come up with, I sure one of them has a solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkhemist View Post
This may not help, but I easily fit my Hobie Outback (~12ft in length) into my Tacoma with a 6ft bed. It only hangs about 2.5ft to 3ft pass the tailgate (its at an angle).
That was my first idea, and may still go with it, gotta see how my kids work Andy over this Friday, if he resist they have been ordered to plaster the oex booth with all the free stickers they will have gotten from all the vendors.

worse case I got to keep the bug so I have something to get the kayak to the water.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
StinkyMatt

Hey Kid,
I had an over the roof rack for 3 months. Got the bed extender now.

When you load up on the roof, you pretty much have to load up your empty kayak. One, you don't want too many things floating out there at 80mph, and lifting a lot of weight overhead gets old really fast.

With the bed extender, I slide the yak in there with everything pretty much already set up. No heavy, above head lifting.

Very little if any chance of anything scratching, dinging or dripping onto your new truck, not the case with overheads (at least for me)
Night and day for me.

I would never go back.

Matt

Last edited by StinkyMatt; 03-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
rxfletes
Junior

Found this on craiglist hope it helps.
Thule roof rack mounted to a tonneau cover
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2253020607.html
rxfletes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Got hardcore rap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Hey Kid,

When you load up on the roof, you pretty much have to load up your empty kayak. One, you don't want too many things floating out there at 80mph, and lifting a lot of weight overhead gets old really fast.

With the bed extender, I slide the yak in there with everything pretty much already set up. No heavy, above head lifting.

Very little if any chance of anything scratching, dinging or dripping onto your new truck, not the case with overheads (at least for me)
Night and day for me.

I would never go back.

Matt

I suppose it might depend on how far you have to drive, but I couldn't have said it better myself. I risked straining my back, tweaking my neck and shoulders---day after day, week after week, year after year. And deep down, I hated every second, but was too lazy to do anything about it. Not only the strain on your body and potential injuries, but having to wash your vehicle after every trip, too. Not that I ever washed my fishing vehicle, it smelled like a rotting squid mixed with a long-line trawler.

Every time one of my friends rolled up, with they're favorite Two Live Crew song blaring, unloaded all their gear and drove off, with that same song still bumpin'---deep down, it really, really pissed me off! Nothing against Two Live Crew, of course .

Until Thule comes along with a sponsorship deal, I'll just keep it real!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #12
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I have been using a Thule roof rack on the cab and a goal post in the hitch. Works good enough for yaks over 12 ft long. I also have a crew cab with 6.5 ft bed. I have gone to using a double hitch receiver so I can mount a bike carrier as well when we go camping and have the bed all loaded up.
Good luck.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Hey Kid,

Night and day for me.

I would never go back.

Matt
Hey I have to lift my kayak, that's what having trips with all you guys are for, so you can help me lift my boat up onto the racks
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
sasha

Hey Bud dont you sell your bug YOU WOULD BE SORRRRRRRYYYYYY.

Sold my 71 bus about 6 months ago and now i miss it. Still have my 81 camper. I know what it means when you need help to lift that kayak on the roof of the van. I need to find out when you guys go out to join you and get help lifting my kayak..
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #15
mermaidhunter
Junior

The only reason why I got rid of my 06 taco was to fit it in my new Titan crew cab long bed. I got a bit tired of looking at my taco and telling myself that this is a truck cause the bed was tiny. Very easy hauling my yak around. The killer thing is the gas. Especially it has hit 4/gal. Congrats on the pickup. Bed extender or racks, you should be good. The thules do look spiffy tho but will cost you and arm and a leg.
mermaidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidhunter View Post
The only reason why I got rid of my 06 taco was to fit it in my new Titan crew cab long bed. I got a bit tired of looking at my taco and telling myself that this is a truck cause the bed was tiny. Very easy hauling my yak around. The killer thing is the gas. Especially it has hit 4/gal. Congrats on the pickup. Bed extender or racks, you should be good. The thules do look spiffy tho but will cost you and arm and a leg.
ya too bad you just don't have the time to hit the water now after you got that nice titan. hit me up ray, we are planning on going out soon.

tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 AM   #17
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
Hey I have to lift my kayak, that's what having trips with all you guys are for, so you can help me lift my boat up onto the racks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha View Post
Hey Bud dont you sell your bug YOU WOULD BE SORRRRRRRYYYYYY.

Sold my 71 bus about 6 months ago and now i miss it. Still have my 81 camper. I know what it means when you need help to lift that kayak on the roof of the van. I need to find out when you guys go out to join you and get help lifting my kayak..

Ok thats 2 guys I can pick up when we going out?

Yeah I had a 69 bus that I sold a few years back. man I miss it. the bug is great, big motor, race trans, seats 2 adults up front 3 kids in the back and a yak is easy to load on top after a hard days paddle, but The wife says its got to go... happy wife happy life,

Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #18
bigbarrels

Congrats on the new Titan! I have a Tundra with a Wilderness Rack on the shell with a Yakima rack system for the kayak hooked into it. If you go on any kayal trips and do any off roading this is a decent setup. Has hookups for shovel, high lift jack and Jerry cans. Also extra storage space.
http://wildernessracks.com/

This on the front crossbar
http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/mako-saddles-1pair

This on the back crossbar:
http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/hullyrollers-1pair

bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #19
sasha

Well if any of you going fishing in malibu and dont mind a real newbe showing up let me know. I shall be there.

Sasha
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #20
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Congrats on the new Titan! I have a Tundra with a Wilderness Rack on the shell with a Yakima rack system for the kayak hooked into it. If you go on any kayal trips and do any off roading this is a decent setup. Has hookups for shovel, high lift jack and Jerry cans. Also extra storage space.
http://wildernessracks.com/

This on the front crossbar
http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/mako-saddles-1pair

This on the back crossbar:
http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/top/hullyrollers-1pair

uhh, wheres the water...?...nice rig pic