Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #41
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook1fred View Post
I've been kayak fishing since 2006 and still flip during beach landings.... with my previous kayak ( quest ) the surf landings werent too bad ( more successful than unsuccessful 9 out of 10 maybe) now with my PA i've flipped every time ( 3 actually ) I find it difficult to manuver that big beast in the surf
hey hookfred,

i spoke to you at L.J. one time and i told you that i had been coming in backwards. did you try this yet? interested to see if this works with the PA too.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #42
Rambo

Hard lesson learned

I flipped twice already.

1st time I flipped was due to high waves and I was reaching back for some tackle and bam the wave just hit me and the next thing you know i'm in water. A quick sudden panic and a I re-flip my kayak over but lost my tackle (~$150 DONATED)

2nd flip was due to a boat, I was trolling, and wham this boat takes off behind me pulling my line. I had 65lb spectra and my drag was loose. At first I tried cutting the fast moving line with a pair of scissors, no luck. 2nd I thought to myself, well if I tighten the drag the line would snap, (dumb me, wrong thing to do). The boat flip me over in a quickness, yanking my rod & reel, lost my tackle, lost another bass rod because I was using this to cast for bass and my tackle box snap off the tied down line. Another ~1k donated to the ocean.

Hopefully no more flips in the future, I'm out rigging my kayak soon for more stability control.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 AM   #43
Striperman1018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

2nd flip was due to a boat, I was trolling, and wham this boat takes off behind me pulling my line. I had 65lb spectra and my drag was loose. At first I tried cutting the fast moving line with a pair of scissors, no luck. 2nd I thought to myself, well if I tighten the drag the line would snap, (dumb me, wrong thing to do). The boat flip me over in a quickness, yanking my rod & reel, lost my tackle, lost another bass rod because I was using this to cast for bass and my tackle box snap off the tied down line. Another ~1k donated to the ocean.
Benchmade knives makes an emergency hook. Kinda like a seat belt cutter but longer. It is designed to cut through molly gear, clothing, and such. Its about 5 inches long and comes in a sheath. I strapped one onto my PFD for rapid deployment if needed. Maybe something to look into. It would have saved your ass, and your gear in this situation for sure. One quick hook and pull and your free.
Striperman1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #44
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
hey hookfred,

i spoke to you at L.J. one time and i told you that i had been coming in backwards. did you try this yet? interested to see if this works with the PA too.

I've been doing this for a few months now and it works great. I've only had my yak flip once and I wasn't even on it. I had two WSB on a stringer and they fell off the yak and.....well.......the rest is history.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #45
hook1fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
hey hookfred,

No not yet i'll definitly try it my next time out... I think I just need to find the time to take it out more and practice
hook1fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #46
Drake

I've never flipped my kayak, but this morning, right after I read this post, I flipped when returning into the cove. I lost a $500 pair of oakley eye glasses, and my Coast Guard issued parka.

A reward is posted for both items!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #47
Electronics Squid
Super Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 467echo View Post
If you are gunna flip it, might as well be in the surf @ LJ for everyone to see!
I think this may be me at the tournament on the 10th...I had planned to get some practice launches in prior to the tournament, the Navy had other plans...so first launch will be for all to see...

Nice thing is there will be plenty of folks who can let me know what I did wrong...
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as shit. You would not want to submerge your head, nothing but fish going "Ahhh, f#*$! I thought I looked like that rock!" - Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.
Electronics Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #48
flying bait
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yani View Post
5 times. I'm sure it'll happen again.

The worst was boiler rock fishin' at Dana. I got rolled over shallow rocks, got everything back in the kayak and then started to paddle like a mad man to get out of the surf zone. But, my anchor attached itself to the rocks, so I wasn't goin anywhere. Had to dive into the water, detach myself, then get out.

But I'll tell you what, there's nothing like boiler rock fish for monster calicos. the wind, the surf, the fish... It's more spooky than new moon fishin' for wsb with no lites.
I know this is an old thread, but I must say, Kayaker are a different bred of fisherman. Coming from mostly fishing on a boat, my usual solution when things get tough is to cut the anchor and full throttle. It would never occur to me to dive into the water to free the anchor. After all, I certain wouldn't want to get my feet wet.

B
flying bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #49
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfishman View Post
Went out to mission bay today and my kayak decided I should be swimming instead of fishing..
There's flipping and then flipping.

I've seen guys roll in open water when they hit a wave wrong etc. That's what I'd consider real flipping, when your not prepared for it but it's never happened to me yet. I hoop and fish a variety of yaks both sit on top and insides sometimes in pretty rough conditions and I've never had a problem... yet...

My take is watch the conditions, and keep your head and things are usually OK if you have a decent sense of balance, and stay aware of your surroundings..

Launching through surf inevitably your going to roll your yak. I've only rolled twice, both times coming in through the surf, once in my x-13 at La Jolla in small stuff when I was just tired, complacent and was just not paying attention, and once in Malibu in a mini-X in five foot beach break at Esco. That Esco one I never had a chance just got caught in a bad backwash/rip-current, and could not get in quick enough to avoid the next set.

At Malibu I also got nailed by my yak after I was already out of it by a second break sneaker shore pound on the beach, in confused four to five conditions, but I didn't actually roll it that time, more like just got knocked off my feet, and that one fn hurt.

I still get nervous every time a launch and land, which is weird considering how many times I've done it without trouble. That said the first time I got complacent I rolled in some little 2 footers right in front of Gary and Josh, and felt like a total idiot.

I've never lost any gear as I always store my gear launching and landing. On open water I don't tie anything down so if I ever do roll outside it's going to be painful.

I've had some really close calls. Once at Rats beach the waves came up big while I was out fishing Rocky. When I got in the beach was walled up with big crashing five footers. The only area with slightly lower surf was this gut where a rip current was coming off the beach flattening the surf. I tried it there and ended fighting the rip like it was some outbound river while breaking wave after breaking wave came in from behind me. I must of fully surfed five different waves before I actually got on the beach that day, it totally worked me.

Another time while hooping a boat came up and asked me if I could free a net they got stuck in tight to the breakwall. I knew the guys and they could not get in above it with thier big boat to free it as it had been washed into the rocks by a heavy surge. I tried it and got in and right above it but it would not budge, I kept working and working it pulling a little slack when the waves would drop and holding on tight on the rise trying to get enough force to pull it free. About then a huge wave rolled in and up the breakwall and before get my hands loose, (one got partially wrapped) about half my yak got completely pulled under. Imagine how much force it takes to pull under half a FND, That was some strong swell and surge!!! I did not roll but was pretty shook up, and they ended up just leaving the net with a bottle tied to it.

So for me 2 or 3 times landing in the surf, but that is kind of a given.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #50
DanaPT

a little reminder isn't bad. . .

Thanks for bringing up a good "old" post.

1) wear a PFD and be aware of your surroundings
2) tie your stuff down
3) the beach launches are the likely spots to spill

simple enough to remember.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #51
ctfphoto

A couple times landing in the surf at La Jolla ..lost sun glasses that were strapped on ..BUT

the first roll ever was in our 2 seater with my 4 year old on his very First Ocean trip and only his second trip ever.

He went under (w PDF) and I grab him and brought a crying 4 year old to his moma on the beach

Next time we go out I INSIST that we do La Jolla as my son is now scared of the waves. By now we have the second (my) kayak so I my daughter and wife get ready to launch the 2 seater and my 4 year son is freaking out balling on how he doesn't want to go. I grab him by his PDF and put him on his moms boat kicking a screaming ...... we get out , he calms down, we see dolphins, sea lions and go through a really cool cave and he is fine. Coming back in, I think to myself, no way he flips this time. I land first, then come back out and ride the tail of the two seater with all my weight on it in thru the surf for a sweet landing. My son thinks my wife is a better yaker than I because she didn't flip
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #52
sdfishman

Here's a good viedo to BUMP the thread..

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ede_1326381224
sdfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
mtnbykr2

too funny...to watch...I think I would have had to take the goose out though
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #54
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

I hope I never meet an angry Pelican.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #55
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
I hope I never meet an angry Pelican.
It's not the pelicans to worry about it's those damn cormorans...
Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

LMAO

I have to admit, I didn't see that one coming. It did cross my mind that they should have got a wack from the paddle for not keeping their distance.

Classic, "What did I do to You!!!"
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #57
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I wouldn't call it flipped,...
But more like a fifteen foot plastic javelin, "Pile-Driven" from off a solid seven footer into a sand bar & your scorpioned torso is pounded into paralysis. Fun stuff at five am in the winter swells..

Happened to me once too.....Ended up with my Salas stuck through waders and into my calve...big lesson learned for me - I rig up out past the breakers, not on the launch, unless of course the surf is ankle slappers!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #58
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

I'd have been having goose with my dinner that night...
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #59
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Who hasen't!
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #60
Chuck D

Thumbs up

HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote