Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Oceanside this Saturday?

Anyone planning to be in the Oceanside area? Planning to launch around 8:00A - 8:30A and paddle out to the Artificial Reefs at: +33° 12' 43.20", -117° 25' 9.80"

View Larger Map

Last edited by addicted2sp33d; 01-14-2014 at 05:17 PM.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

So my friend and I made it out there, to light winds, no waves, and a slow westerly drift. There was no-one around, and the lobster pots marked the artificial reefs very nicely. When the sun came out, it was an absolutely beautiful scene.

We saw a lot of large Mackerel schools swimming around, and a lot of surface boils, but were not able to convince any large predators to eat our baits. I managed to land an Octopus that wasn't really hooked, and once he figured out what was going-on, he promptly released his suckers, slapped my boat then escaped over the edge.

In one of the passing schools, I managed to convince one Mackerel to take my blue/silver spoon. I promptly hooked him up and released him back. He swam around for almost 2 hours, bleeding, calling out to his fishy friends for help, all the activities that would attract something bigger... but nothing. At least he'll make nice cut bait for next time.

My friend landed an oh-so-rare Lizardfish, and some kind of flounder/sole. Both released. He also hooked into something that gave him a few good shakes, and then dashed into some dense kelp. My friend retrieved his line to find an empty hook and a whole lot of kelp attached.

We decided to call it a day around 1:00P when the drift changed to a southeastern drift and just drifted toward the harbor entrance. We fished a little while inside the harbor for nothing.

Off the water around 2:30P.

No keepers other than my bait-for-next-time, but it was a beautiful day to be on the water.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote