Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Buena Vista Beach Resort 7/19-26/2022. Long w/ pic.

Buena Vista Beach Resort 7/19-26/2022

Once more, I thought I was meeting the crew of Stoked On Fishing at the Buna Vista Beach Resort same as last year.
It is known better as East Cape in Baja. Fishing the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIGRLEfQ0hQ

However, once more, they neglected to remove the trip from their website listed under “fan trips”.
It was too late to cancel, so I went by myself. It was fantastic. I had a (23’) Panga and a guide to myself.

Below are the details of the trip.
Fishing was slow at times, yet frantic at other times.
Be sure to read the captions and the text, once you saw the pictures.

Tuesday July 19, 2022

Arrived at the Bradly terminal at LAX (Los Angeles Exchange) around 7:00 AM for a 10:00 AM departure. Even at that time of the day,
traffic was busy. Checked-in one bag and took a soft cooler as carry-on.

In the cooler I had a smaller (lunch) cooler with sealed Ginger Ale (for prevention of seasickness) cans and sealed orange juice
bottles for emergency sugar booster in case of my sugar drops due to diabetes. I also had some reusable ice packs for a
newly purchased ice vest too. My tool against the heat that I was expecting during fishing.

Well, of course my cooler was x-rayed and pulled for a secondary inspection. They used an analyzing machine to check the liquids.
They were passed, even though they were factory sealed, it was tested.

However, the reusable ice packs were not allowed. If they were frozen, it would have been ok, but since they were not, they were not
allowed. I had a choice of throwing them in a trash can, or go back to another terminal to check them in. I decided to discard them
and not take a chance of missing the plane.

After I arrived, I used lunch cooler’s ice packs and zip-luc full of water to substitute for lost ice packs. It worked, but I did not have
a second set. Next year I know what to do.

1-The American Airline plane is waiting for yours truly to get on board.

2-10:00 AM was a perfect time to leave for a (150) minutes of flight. With seat upgrade, I had nice leg room.
Complementary adult beverages hit the spot also.

3-The terminal is an immense place. After TSA security inspection, they do not allow carts.
Thus, my load was a bit heavy to walk around the shops. My reels alone in my backpack weighted about (18) lbs.
Plan to go lighter next time, and do more sightseeing at the airport.

The flight was good and met the driver of the resort with a brand new Toyota van and good A/C.
The (45) minute ride from the airport went by quickly socializing with the owner/driver of the van. One unexpected event was a short but heavy burst of rain. I had decided not to take any rain gear.
Next year it will be a Poncho (since we are in Mexico) and a belt for possible rain.

Once checked-in at the resort and settled in the room, it was time to hit the pool and the pool bar before dinner on the patio.
Room was cool with comfortable (clean) bed to have a good night’s sleep.

Wednesday July 20, 2022

I got up at 5:30 AM to get ready for the 6:00 AM breakfast and 7:00 AM departure on my assigned Panga.
I was late, so from then on it was 5:00 AM alarm. The daily routine during the four fishing days was to leave the dock no later than
7:00 AM and be back by 2:00 PM.
Kind of early for me to come back, but I was getting a special price. Last year we were back by 3:00 PM.

At Cedros we were back at 6:00 PM. It may be different now!

4-The view before sunrise from the restaurant patio.

5-My fishing guide named Valentino was very friendly and hard working. He had many years of experience under his belt.
Eyes as sharp as eagle. This was his boat and I was the only one on it. He had name his boat after his daughter.
Fantastic.

6-We trolled for long hours and I got a hit. After (45) minutes of fight, “V” pulled the fish over. Without gloves the fish was too slippery and also heavy for me to hold it up.

7-Originally, I did not want to keep any Marlin. However, “V” told me that the Striped Marlin is good eating.
Thus, I decided to share it with him.

8-In hindsight, I wish I had brought it to the resort one piece and took pictures hanging the fish.

Well, that is new goal for next year.

9-Next was a medium size Dorado [(Spanish), Mahi Mahi (Hawaiian), Dolphinfish (English)].

We trolled all day and got to the resort about 2:00 PM. A quick shower and a three-hour nap in the cool room.
Then to the pool bar and later patio dining. In bed by 9:00 PM for the next day.

Catches of day were Stripped Marlin, Dorado, Needlefish and Skipjack.
Saw jumping bat rays, flying fish and a turtle. Also lost one Marlin.

Thursday July 21, 2022

This time I was not hurried to gulp down the breakfast, and rush to the boat ramp. I had gotten up at 5:00 AM.

My guide suggested we hit the rock fishing grounds first, and then trolling.

10-My first of many skip jacks. What fighters.

One Skipjack had line wrapped on the tail and the fish was swimming away from the boat. It felt much bigger than it was.

Spent many hours trolling. Saw roosterfish and trolled some mullet. No takers. We also saw lots of jumping bat rays.
We had one Ballyhoo that was bit just below the hook. Possible Wahoo as per my guide.

Catches of the day were Skipjack and Dorado.

Friday July 22, 2022

We were off the dock by 7:00 AM promptly.

We drove about (45) minutes at 4000 RPM very smoothly to our grounds for rock fishing. The guide turned off the engine.
As we drifted, I dropped a big metal lure provided by the guide with his rod.
Then as per suggestion proceeded to reel-in as fast as I could.

Almost immediately I hooked to a fish. After a short fight, fish got off.

My guide, “V” decided to move back and cranked the engine.
vom, vom, vom, vom……………..vom, but no verum. The engine would not start.

11-We had engine problem after we got to the fishing spot. The electric fuel pump on Honda motor did not work anymore.

“V” called the resort and it was not long that another boat which was fishing showed up to tow us.
Since we were moving slow, the captain of the other boat suggested to put out a couple rods trolling while being towed. No takers.

12-We had to be towed.

13-Second boat sent from the resort reached us halfway and slowly towed us back to the resort.

14-Yours truly got to play driver when “V” would setup rods, got on cell phone, etc.

15-When we arrived, our boat trailer was in the water waiting to pull us out of the water. Two-man crew on the loading platform
also waiting for us.

16-Hard to say, but the driver is smiling while he is pulling us from the water. Everybody had a happy, take it easy attitude.
No drama.

The mechanic and his helper were also waiting with the correct part. By the time I went to the pool bar to get some adult
beverages for the crew, the job was done and the engine roared to life as the mechanic tested it.

17-This is the pool bar, where many hours were spent. A place to quench the thirst and talk fish stories with other guests.

The rooms do not have TV, but an excellent working A/C. Much an important item there.

Saturday July 23, 2022

18-The weather was ominous and the water rough. The rain was hard and lasting. I had not taken a jacket with me to Baja.
I was actually cold at one time, but the rain letup and warm wind warmed me. Later sun came out and we kept trolling.

19-Mahigeer is fighting a rockfish. Not sure which one.

20-While rock fishing, “V” got a call of possibility of tuna. So we hauled a$$ and went to the spot.
There were hundreds of spinner dolphins playing and diving.

I took many pictures, but this is the only one that shows the dolphin.

21-I spent many hours looking toward the stern while we were trolling. At times falling asleep momentary.

22-We left the tuna chase and suddenly we hit a school of Dorado. We had a double hookup and in approximately half an hour
None too big.

23-I usually wait for the fish to die before taking picture. This Red Snapper (Pargo in Spanish) was in the live bait tank and I thought
it was dead.

However; it was not and was almost going back to sea when I tried to put a holder through its gill.

24-It kept dancing and got heavier.

25-I thought the bonito was a fighter until I hooked a Skipjack.

26-The local fisherman sell these Ballyhoos for $2.00 each. Usually (10) at a time. It is the best bait for catching Marlin, but other
fish like it too.

We had one bit in half, just below the hook. Possible Wahoo.

27-On Saturday nights, the resort sets up buffet style dinner on the beach. Last year I was there and it was fantastic.

28-This year we had to eat inside due to earlier rain, and possibility of more rain later.

Catches of the day were (2) Red Snappers and (2) Dorado.
I lost one nice fish, when the leader came back chewed and damaged.

Sunday July 24, 2022

29-Another Red Snapper from possible 300 feet dept. Thinking about taking the electric reel next year.

30-This seat was very useful and comfortable during long hours of trolling.

31-“Mean while back at the ranch”, the units next to me all had BBQ stand and table and chairs.

Catch of the day was a Red Snapper (Pargo).

Monday July 25, 2022

32-I had four days of fishing, so today was the day for sightseeing.
I rented this “side by side” and went to a nearby town called Los Barriles (barrels). May do to pirates hiding treasures in barrels in that town.

33-Later, I drove on the beach looking for Roosterfish. Not one was seen.

34-Roosters seem to prefer hiding behind the rocks and jump the mullet. Thus, rocky beaches and jetties are good place to look for them.

35-Saw these Pufferfish skins on the beach.

36-I saw a lot of beautiful homes (most likely American money), yet did not see anybody outside of them.

36-One selfish owner had the access to beach blocked.

37-As I was leaving my stop, I saw a herd of goats coming in the opposite direction. I stopped, so I do not scare them.
A dog was in the very back and seemed in charge. No shepherd in sight.

They very methodically walked pass me with no hurry and seem to know exactly where to go.

38-Only some had bells around their necks! One had a bad leg and was limping.

39-Having my daughter marry to a fire fighting family, I have respect for all fireman. I stopped and asked for picture.
They were kind enough to agree.

40-More beautiful houses on the south side of the resort.

41-Luis, who handles the fishing boats and takes lunch orders, has been a great help in many ways. He works very hard to make sure
the guest has the best time. Having lived in Seattle for a while, his English is fluent and a fun guy to talk too.
He handles any issue the guest has with efficiency.
His excellent memory makes it possible to deal with many guest at one time.

42-These two family had just bought a house south of the resort.
We spent a lot of time socializing at the pool bar.

During the stay I had the “American Plan” which included the food.
There were several choices every day and all were expertly prepared.
My favorite was the Ribeye steak.
Staff were wonderful and most have been working there for many years.

I truly had a fantastic time. Can’t wait till next year.

Tuesday July 26, 2022

43-Arrived at the Airport at noon for the 3:30 PM departure.

Checked-in my soft cooler with about (32.6) pounds of fish. About (17) lbs. Marlin, (13) lbs. Dorado and (2.6) Red Snapper.

Flight was comfortable and went by fast socializing with a couple sitting next to me.
Did an interview with the Customs staff to get a “Global Entry” card, to make return to US much easier next time.

Until next time,

The End.

Last edited by Mahigeer; 08-05-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

Great Story! You have a remarkable amount of patience with the Stoked on Fishing crew.
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
Mahigeer

Thanks.

I am done with them.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Looks like a hell of a lot of fun!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Great in-depth report 👏

Thanks for sharing 👍
Old 08-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #6
Mahigeer

Thanks.

Glad it is being liked.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Cool adventure.
Thanks for sharing.
Gotta love those Sea of Cortez sun rises🌞
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Nice documentation of your visit to Rancho Buena Vista. Sad to see the Marlin get harvested, but I imagine it was food for Valentino's family, and sympathize with the temptation. You noted that Valentino chose to clean it at sea and I imagine the lodge would have frowned on him for harvesting a traditionally released fish that bring the lodge its livelihood. I experienced a similar situation in Cabo where a fish was clubbed before I could express my desire to have it released.

In places like Costa Rica and Guatemala, it's against the law to remove a billfish from the water. Photos are taken of the fish in the water to increase the likelihood of survival. Satellite tag studies documented the increased mortality for billfish removed from the water. Since then there is also a law for Atlantic Federal waters making it illegal to remove a billfish from the water that is not intended for harvest. Sadly, This law is frequently abused off Florida.

Fish photos always look better when the fish are alive and full of color. With the lure hanging from their month, It tells the viewer even more about the catch. It's more challenging to hold up a lively Mahi, but If you can master that, your documentation will be that much more interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #9
Mahigeer

Thank you for your positive comments, but some corrections need to be made.

There is a Rancho Buna Vista.
However, it is different than Buna Vista Beach Resort (where I was). See my link for YouTube video.

As to Marlin, I was told by everyone that it was a good eating fish. And since it was a legal catch, I feel no regrets as to keeping it. I had no issue with the lodge either. As the picture #8 shows, they have a rope from a structure to hang Marlins for pictures. Next time all Marlins will be released.

To save Marlins, there should not be big money tournaments, or use of any lure/bait that may attract them.
Catch and release just to take pictures puts undo stress on the fish, by building lactic acid in their body.

Chasing Marlin for pictures should be banned worldwide.
Otherwise rest of the suggestions are just lip service.

I also do not want to take a chance of getting hooked by the lure as the live fish thrashes its head about. Ruin an expensive trip.
I could take picture of the lures used, but each captain/guide provides his own lures, so not sure it is useful. Actually, if I had known, I would not have taken a bunch of lures with me last time.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I would gladly fill my freezer

With a marlin and pay to have it vacuum packed
If I could not fill it with tuna or yellow tail ect.
Ate my first marlin in 1972 and all through the 70s and 80s it was in the freezer growing up as a teenager, like a deer 🦌 for some, meat for the winter. Over seas commercial fishing is what is hurting the population.
They can be a problem wahoo fishing, when they come in in packs and take over. I think we released 25 on the boat I was on. I broke two off not wanting to keep them one spooled a 25n penn fathom and I had to thumb the spool and snap the line right at the ring and leave it with a 18in wire leader and hook. The other i made jump until it broke off. They put on a hell of a show, every where under the boat. I see why they say get welded rings and not stamped rings. I like stripped marlin grilled with thousand island dressing. And smoked is good to. Marlin is a dry fish I bet chefs could make a killer wet sauce to go with it.
Being a game fish your not supposed to commercial fish
But I guess it does not apply to foreign countries because there docks are full of them.
Ps chest freezer turned off eating chicken quarters, pork blade steaks, store bought canned albacore and going easy on the beef..wish I had me a marlin in the freezer.

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-02-2022 at 02:53 PM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #11
Salty

Great write-up! Looks like an amazing trip. On my 21st birthday, my dad took me down to Los Barriles for a fishing trip, just me and him. Have tons of good memories from that trip! Got my first marlin(120lb) on the first outing and my dad got a beast of a dorado right after(40lbs!). We had half the marlin smoked and gave the other half to the skipper of our boat to share with friends and family. Tasted like smoked turkey!

Going back there has been on my mind for a while now. Especially doing a road-trip with the kayaks! But that's a hell of a long drive... Might have to plan something like this just to get down there and get on some serious fish!
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #12
Mahigeer

Thanks.
I was told that Los Berriles means the barrels. Perhaps barrels left by pirates!

I plan to go back next year around mid-June.
It is not a cheap trip, but well worth it if one can afford it.

I just got find a way to beat the heat while fishing and the boat is stopped.

Bimini is very useful, and the ice vest can be helpful. I saw the fishing vest (I have several) can be used with reusable ice packs. Again, I seem to have several of them sent to me by Omaha Stakes.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #13
tak100
Recruit

Thank you for always sharing your amazing adventures.

Got me all revved up for my first trip to Cedros this Saturday.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #14
Mahigeer

Thank you.

Have a great time.

If you remember and going with Cedros Outdoor Adventures, please say hi from me to Jose (owner) and want to say Oscar (manger).

Tight lines.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #15
SoCalEDC

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. I always look forward to your reports. You guys had a lot of luck with different species, very cool!

I have been to los barilles once for a few days and it was a blast. I need to go back and take my wife. Maybe that will get her hooked on fishing like it did for me.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:42 PM   #16
Mahigeer

I am glad that my reports are liked.

They do take time, but from the feedback I receive it makes the worth the time they take.

I always feel a bit unsure, since this is a kayak website, but I don't see a better place to post it.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:34 AM   #17
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Alot of people appreciate it...

There just not leaving a comment.
This is the only social media I do, after being scammed by a fake female profile on Facebook. My bank dropped me in a black hole 🕳 after 35yrs. Just showed me how valuable I am. I do not want my true name in any social media that allows fake identity. I never new modern technology with a fake Google heading could hack your bank account.
And they sounded just like Amazon customers service.
We live in a world 🌎 where your online bank account statement is one click away from a scam that wants to rob you blind in your emails. If I could start a class action lawsuit Facebook, Google,Wal-Mart for selling gift cards all would be involved.Sorry if I got off track from your great fishing vacation...peace out Tight lines amgio
Ps never do a zelle bank transfer when customer service asks to download anydesk and prizzee apps on your iPhone to transfer money back for a gift card that's no good.it was my first zelle transfer and you can bet my Last through my cellphone online banking.
I don't care how smart people think they are you are not safe from the genus scams when they target your likes.
I had a ca contractors license for over 20 yrs...but I maybe the dumbest SOB when it comes to women .

Last edited by MITCHELL; 08-10-2022 at 07:02 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:05 PM   #18
Mahigeer

Thanks for the advise.

As a news, I am leaving for Costa Rica for a four day fishing trip.

Report to be posted when I come back.