Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

Question on handling BSB

FYI

California Department of Fish and Game News Release
NEWS RELEASES FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : February 10, 2011

California Outdoors Q & A: Photographing No-Take Species

Question: I fish in Southern California and have a question about black sea bass. I know they are illegal to keep when caught. However, when they are caught while targeting other species, what is the regulation for releasing them? After the hook is removed and swim bladder punctured, may a picture be taken with the fish out of the water before it is released? I am under the impression they may not be removed from the water. I ask because a friend of mine accidentally caught a small black sea bass (about 30 lbs.) and after removing the hook and puncturing the swim bladder, he held it up and posed for a quick picture with the fish. I told him I didn't think that was legal and he argued it was. He did release the fish immediately after the photo was taken, and the fish swam off, apparently unharmed. I've searched the website for clarification, but have found nothing. Can you please clarify this issue for me? We are very conscientious fisherman. (Dave L.)

Answer: Giant (black) sea bass and other no-take species cannot be retained and must be released immediately. Therefore, holding the fish out of the water for a picture is unlawful. The best case scenario for the fish would be to cut the line while it is still in the water.

The definition of "take" is to "hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill an animal, or to attempt to do so" (California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 1.80). So, by catching the fish, reeling it in, taking it off the hook and holding it up for a picture, your friend has "taken" a prohibited species. He also did not release it immediately as required.

Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Associate Marine Biologist Ed Roberts published a great article on best practices for releasing rockfish, giant sea bass and other fish with swim bladders that inflate at the surface, thus preventing them from ascending successfully following capture. The article was published in the January/February 2005 issue of Outdoor California magazine, available online at www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/archives/J_F_05_16-19.pdf.

Needles and sharp objects should never be used to deflate a fish's swim bladder. Even though the fish may be able to descend below the surface following a puncture, many will still die due to internal damage and/or the introduction of bacteria caused by the needles.

** See underwater video of Giant Sea Bass at https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com ***

Last edited by FISHIONADO; 02-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
bubblehide

"The definition of "take" is to "hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill an animal, or to attempt to do so" (California Code of Regulations Title 14, Section 1.80). So, by catching the fish, reeling it in, taking it off the hook and holding it up for a picture, your friend has "taken" a prohibited species. He also did not release it immediately as required."

I have hooked and brought Black Sea Bass to the surface; which clearly is not "take" as there was no intent to target that species. IMHO, holding a fish for a picture does not meet the F&G definition of "take' either, as we intend to release the fish.

IMHO the concern here is in the fish surviving. Simply catching and reeling a fish to the surface (although legal) stresses the fish, any handling may stress the fish more. Using needles can introduce bacteria...

Yet I'm not sure of the intent of your post, were you asking a question? Giving your opinion? attempting to inform us?
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Jimmyz123

I know a guy who actually will target them and catch them, take pictures, and doesn't care what anyone says to him about breaking the law. I have read many times that once you realize the fish is a Black Sea Bass, you should cut the line and take less risk of hurting the fish more. Some DFG officers will interpret the law how they feel is right, some will nail you the moment they see you touching the fish, some will say, "Sure, take a pic, but you better let it go." However if they know that you have a BSB on the line they will watch everything that happens. Would I love to catch one, sure, do I want to risk one killing over because I wanted that photo of one, No.

I will not be shocked if within 5 years there is a lift or a catch limit placed on the BSB and they are open target again. I can see them saying a 1 fish limit per angler or boat or something. Their numbers are coming back and I do see them being taken off the do not keep list. However the way our DFG does things it may never happen also.

Do some google searches on that subject and you'll find a lot of information about it.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
bubblehide

Jimmy, I don't see a one fish limit, as I think that could decimate the population in no time at all; But I could see a one fish per year limit, and I'd welcome it.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Answer: Giant (black) sea bass and other no-take species cannot be retained and must be released immediately. Therefore, holding the fish out of the water for a picture is unlawful. The best case scenario for the fish would be to cut the line while it is still in the water.
This might not be the best case scenerio for releasing a BSB. If the fish is caught at depth (greater than say 66' and especially 100' or more), the gasses contained in various cavities will expand to triple their volume at the surface. These fish often need assistance in equilibrating before they can be released. If you just cut the hook off, you might actually be decreasing its chances of survival. For those with mirage drive you can just hold it by the lip and drag it around in the water until it farts and burps up all the excess gas. For paddlers its a little more difficult. The idea is to keep water running over its gills while the fish is decompressing. The fish will swim away when it's ready, until then it will just lay there not too stoked on life.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
FISHIONADO

I just got the email press release email and thought I would pass it on, I recognize their are a lot of new people on the board that may be unaware. The person who asked the DFG that question was a dip shit because he thought he should puncture the bladder. It is so easy to educate your self. :-)
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
bubblehide

Chris, good point. I've also seen the roll in the line, getting all tangled, and requiring "handling" to cut them lose. They would have simply had no chance at survival otherwise.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
Jimmy, I don't see a one fish limit, as I think that could decimate the population in no time at all; But I could see a one fish per year limit, and I'd welcome it.
They would have to sell a report card thing or something like that, and I could see that happening.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 02-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
I just got the email press release email and thought I would pass it on, I recognize their are a lot of new people on the board that may be unaware. The person who asked the DFG that question was a dip shit because he thought he should puncture the bladder. It is so easy to educate your self. :-)

Thanks for clarifying that, your title made me think you had a question in there somewhere. Yet, I don't think there is a clear cut way (one size fits all) of responsibly releasing them; some knowledge and common sense can go a long way.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
They would have to cell a report card thing or something like that, and I could see that happening.

I think you read my mind.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
dorado50

Lets see, there are at least 180,00 (calif)fishing licenses issued each year??? One BSB taken per angler per year.... yea that math looks good to me. Just release the fish and make sure it swims away healthy.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Iceman
Administrator

Good to see some clarification on this..........I agree with it 100% Why risk injuring a fish so you can have a photo of it on your lap. The sportboat guys that boat them for pix drive me crazy.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Lets see, there are at least 180,00 (Calif)fishing licenses issued each year??? One BSB taken per angler per year.... yea that math looks good to me. Just release the fish and make sure it swims away healthy.
I would be fine with what Dorado suggests since the BSB is such a majestic fish that takes many years to grow to full size. On the other hand, some say that the BSB population has recovered to the point where they have almost achieved "pest" status in some locations.

I am far from an expert on this subject but my thinking is that if it is ever determined that the BSB population can withstand some fishing pressure, maybe the best way to approach the management would be to have a lottery for a special permit which would allow some lucky fishers to catch and keep one fish of a particular size or larger. Kind of like what they do with hunting permits for some formally endangered animals.

The bigger problem in my view is that most people who catch a big BSB from deep water have no idea how to safely release the fish. I have read the recommended procedures but have never had to practice the technique. The only BSB I ever caught was a 10 pounder who quickly swam away after I removed the hook. I am hopeful that if I ever hook a big one, someone with a little experience is in the neighborhood.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 02-10-2011 at 06:40 PM.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
T Bone

There was a video of this Jack-wagon catching a huge BSB on balboa pier on dragging it on the beach to die.I heard he went to court because someone called we-tip but I never heard what happened.If anyone could post that video or follow up that would be cool.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Is this the video?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4000167/b...n-in-hot-water

The dude's website:

http://savetheseabass.com/

From what I have read, it seems like the guy was trying to keep the fish and was playing dumb about not knowing the rules, so he would not get in trouble....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
yaknewb

Yea i saw that vid it was sad i cant believe no one stoped him.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
taggermike

I haven't seen this on a kayak forum but the photos of the little, sub 100 lb, BSB with a gaff through thier bottom jaws held up by some grinning yahoo really chap me. A gaff shouldn't be used on a no take fish. Just take a pic of the fish in the water at boat side if you have to docunent your catch. mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #18
wade

i heard that in florida the f&g issues tickets to people on facefart, myspace ect who hold goliath groupers out of water, even if released)..

(video your fight & it will allow the best chance of survival Versus wasting precious recovery time fussin with a still shot/photo op..)

Ps PELLYS has the BEST Black Sea Bass sandwich in SD.
ask for it toasted & teriyaki style...
Pelly's Fish Market & Cafe
7110 Avenida Encinas # 101
Carlsbad, CA 92011
(760) 431-8454

pps, how hypocritical is california for placing a species on an endangered list, but allows it to be consumed on california soil is beyond me?...
it sure tastes AMAZING though..
Ill take 2, Please!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #19
T Bone

That guy is a total kook and a liar.

Fox news fact: 10 million people fish for "Black Bass"...

T-Bone Fact: The producer or whoever proofed that clip doesnt fish and preffers Tofu...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
dorado50

Problem is most people believe what they read, especially from the libral press. Not me!.. Don't become a member of the "liars and misinformation" Club...its bad mojo....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote