Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #21
mermaidhunter
Junior

I was there that day and told him 15+ times that he had to release that bsb safely and quickly, alot of fishermen on the pier were telling him the same thing, but other people on the pier were cheering him on. even going as far where they stuck 2 pier gaffs in her jaw, i went up to the crowd as they were trying to pull her up on the pier and i grabbed the pier gaff rope to stop them and told them that its illegal and they had to let her go. but they didnt care at all and they carried on. a private boater came by and dragged her in and the mob beached her. it was a horrible scene, my heart broke the next day when i found out she died and floated down to dana.

in the end he got away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknewb View Post
Yea i saw that vid it was sad i cant believe no one stoped him.
mermaidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
dorado50

Can't fault you for your efforts Perhaps an urgent call to 911 would have resolved that mess....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
Is this the video?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4000167/b...n-in-hot-water

The dude's website:

http://savetheseabass.com/

From what I have read, it seems like the guy was trying to keep the fish and was playing dumb about not knowing the rules, so he would not get in trouble....
I've heard it said many times in court that not knowing the laws is not an excuse. If you have a rod and reel in your hands you better know the regs, or have a way of knowing them, Regs book, or don't go fishing. I carry my regs book with me all the time in the event I am questioned, need to know what I just caught and it's regs, or and it gives me peace of mind. I hope this guy was fined.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Link:

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/educa...,6691523.story

Quote:
The two fishermen who hauled a massive black sea bass to shore at the Balboa Pier pleaded guilty Wednesday and were sentenced to 120 hours of community service.
They had faced up to six months in jail for catching the endangered species. Prosecutors had charged the two with misdemeanor possession of a black sea bass after they were videotaped with the fish, and their images landed on YouTube.
Orange County Commissioner Richard E. Pacheco agreed to the plea bargain, which reduced their violation to an infraction. Prosecutors objected to the plea bargain, according to Orange County district attorney's office spokeswoman Farrah Emami.
Jon Apothaker of Valley Village was fishing on the pier while John Brady of Huntington Beach was fishing below the pier in a small boat in January 2010 when
Apothaker got a bite. It was a giant black sea bass, more than 5 feet long and weighing between 140 and 200 pounds.
Apothaker struggled with the fish for about an hour until his line broke. Then Brady offered to help from below if Apothaker would agree to give up half the fish. He agreed, and Brady helped by towing the fish close to shore. Apothaker swam out, and brought it to the beach by hand.
There, he posed with the giant bass before releasing it.
Apothaker said that once he learned that the fish was endangered, he and Brady tried to save it. Apothaker said he massaged its gills for up to 45 minutes trying to resuscitate it until it finally swam away weakly.
Days later, the bass washed up on dead on the shore, authorities said. The two men claimed there was no proof it was the same fish.
Giant sea bass can live to be 100 years old, and the fish they caught was estimated to be 20 to 25 years old. They have been a critically endangered species since 1996.
In what he said was an effort to educate anglers about the black sea bass, Apothaker began making and selling T-shirts with warnings to not gaff the creatures. He also created http://www.savetheseabass.com.
Apothaker's attorney, Christopher McCann, said the outreach effort may have helped his client.
"I think the judge was persuaded by that," McCann said.
He will serve his community service hours with the United Pier and Shore Anglers of California, a nonprofit that educates pier and shore anglers in fish ecology and conservation.
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

From a Felony to an infraction, but God help the first person to get popped in a mpa.... if it's me I printing up shirts with warnings that say "dont fish the mpas" and a web site called "savethempa.com" as soon as BWE posts my bail. thanks in advance guys.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #26
T Bone

I think the guy should have done a 90 days.If the judge was a fisherman he would have seen through the Bullshit.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
GregAndrew

If you have a paddle kayak with a bait tank you may be able to run the hose from the pump into the mouth to allow the fish to breathe while it decompresses. It may also help with a tail hooked Thresher that is exhausted too.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #28
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidhunter View Post
I was there that day and told him 15+ times that he had to release that bsb safely and quickly, alot of fishermen on the pier were telling him the same thing, but other people on the pier were cheering him on. even going as far where they stuck 2 pier gaffs in her jaw, i went up to the crowd as they were trying to pull her up on the pier and i grabbed the pier gaff rope to stop them and told them that its illegal and they had to let her go. but they didnt care at all and they carried on. a private boater came by and dragged her in and the mob beached her. it was a horrible scene, my heart broke the next day when i found out she died and floated down to dana.

in the end he got away with it.
I also believe there is a number on our fishing licenses to call if we suspect someone is poaching or anything else that needs to be reported to the DFG. I've never called it, but I have voiced an opinion to someone once about the fish she caught.

As far as BSBs are concerned, I have a friend that will target ares that he as "accidentally" hooked them in SD bay, he catches, photos, and releases. However each time he posts photos, on a different fishing site, it starts a HUGE debate as to how wrong that was. He loves it though.

Until they change the regs on these fish I feel that if you realize that you have one hooked, don't fight it any longer so you can get a photo, cut the line and let it fight its way back down. I have known people who have tried to deflate the bladders and they have actually done more harm than good. So if you don't know what you are doing with them don't try.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
Vikingj

Regarding BSB caught at Balboa pier last year. The 2 fisherman could have (should have?) done jail time but plea bargained down to 120 hrs community service and $75 fine. Got off pretty easy, don't you think? See http://www.ocregister.com/news/fish-...l?plckOnPage=2
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote