Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
BrokeLoser

Okay, so I finally got my yak...now what?

I need to 'outfit' my Malibu Stealth 14
I've read a bunch of tips and tricks on here all over the place. Looking for specific opinions on equipment in this thread?

Here's what I've already got:
Seat
Bait tank pump kit
Paddle

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking I need or pretty much have to have. Tell me what brand, model or type I should get specifically...please. See, I'm kind of a simple guy and I don't want to try and re-invent the wheel; I'd rather just copy what you guys are already doing as far as set-up goes. Keep in mind I'm on a bit of a budget so throw 'realistic' suggestions at me please. Thanks in advance!

Life jacket
Fish Finder
Fish Finder mount (besides X-wing)
Battery(s) - (1 for fish finder and 1 for bait tank) (do I need 2?)
Ice chest - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?)
Storage crate - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?)
Anchor
Net
Gaff
Measuring instrument that rivets or screws to the boat

Is their anything I'm missing that you think I should have or have to have?

Thanks again!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Regor
Greg

Welcome to the sight, and congrats on your new purchase.

The "search" function can be your best friend in trying to figure out what you want. Not only are there tons of threads here, but a LOT of youtube vids on rigging.

Greg
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Hunters Pa

I don't claim to be a veteran, but here's my 2 cents, or 4 bucks Canadian....

Life jacket - go somewhere that has a bunch of styles & try them on. Then sit down on the floor & do the paddling motion
Fish Finder - Lots of opinions on this one
Fish Finder mount (besides X-wing) - play with where makes sense for you
Battery(s) - (1 for fish finder and 1 for bait tank) (do I need 2?) Batterymart, make sure you get chargers
Ice chest - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?) - don't know,
Storage crate - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?) - get one that's close & cut the edges if u have to
Anchor - I don't use one in salt
Net - Promar folding
Gaff - I have a couple. Looking to make or buy? I like my Promar floating and one I made out of a framing hammer handle
Measuring instrument that rivets or screws to the boat - There are ruler stickers you can get at Turners or your local shop. I have one mounted on my paddle so I can move it to the fish

VHF radio. I have 2 kids relying on me coming home.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
I need to 'outfit' my Malibu Stealth 14
I've read a bunch of tips and tricks on here all over the place. Looking for specific opinions on equipment in this thread?

Here's what I've already got:
Seat
Bait tank pump kit
Paddle

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking I need or pretty much have to have. Tell me what brand, model or type I should get specifically...please. See, I'm kind of a simple guy and I don't want to try and re-invent the wheel; I'd rather just copy what you guys are already doing as far as set-up goes. Keep in mind I'm on a bit of a budget so throw 'realistic' suggestions at me please. Thanks in advance!

Life jacket
Fish Finder
Fish Finder mount (besides X-wing)
Battery(s) - (1 for fish finder and 1 for bait tank) (do I need 2?)
Ice chest - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?)
Storage crate - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?)
Anchor
Net
Gaff
Measuring instrument that rivets or screws to the boat

Thanks again!
Let's have fun:

Life jacket: Go to OEX and try them on, it's fun and you can see what you like.

Fish Finder: I recommend the Cuda 350 it has GPS and FF very nice for the money and you can get them for less than $200

Fish Finder mount: Somewhere easy for you to work it

Battery(s) - (1 for fish finder and 1 for bait tank) (do I need 2?) Yes you need 2. The one working the FF will last all day, the bait tank one will drain faster.

Ice chest - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?) Not sure you will need this and a crate, but you can use the chest for a Bait tank on La Jolla lanches, and cooler for fishing the bays and lakes. I'm thinking of making one for this reason also.

Storage crate - (which one fits perfectly in the molded space at rear?) The Container Store has some that will fit any Kayak, you can find them online or at some malls.
Anchor: Use a 5lbs. Dumbell with rope on it.
Net: Get one that will not hurt the tails of the fish you catch.
Gaff: You can buy one or make one really cheap. OEX, Dana Landing, or any Tackle shop should have them.

Measuring instrument that rivets or screws to the boat: I marked the sides of my Yak with Sharpe

Is their anything I'm missing that you think I should have or have to have? Check out the Share you Innovations thread, there are a lot of things you'll see there that I have forgotten. You'll need a paddle leash, rod leashes, dry storage for phones, tackle, and other items. Boga grippers, or something similar. Best thing is, make the boat comfortable for you when you are on the water. Make it so that you can get to what you need and know how your boat handles.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
BrokeLoser

Is their a specific lighter weight life jacket that many use?
Are there specific batteries and battery boxes that people are using?
Who makes those fishfinder mounts that look like a cross bar that runs above the feet area?

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
taggermike

I'll toss in my 2 cents. You don't have to be a huge hurry to get every thing on the kayak. For sure life jacket is essential. You might want to fish your kayak a few times and find out how and where you want things, and if you need them at all. If you're super new to kayak fishing you might want to start in the bay with one rod and one plano box and move up from there as you get more confident and experienced. Just a thought. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
maui jim

you will need More money more tackle, more time to fish.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

if the stealth has the pluming installed, you are best off to get a bait tank timer
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-switch/Detail

you will need only one battery all day.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
i agree
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
YakMedic

I'll reply to what I have personal experience with.

Life Jacket- I love my stohlquist fisherman pfd
fish finder - I use a basic humminbird 90
fish finder mount- I use the mount that came with it no problems
battery- i use a 12v7a sealed battery i bought from HobbyPeople, its designed for an RC plane but it works great for my fishfinder
battery box- i seal it in a drybag in my hull and run the cables out the top, then fold and clip
anchor- used for freshwater only, but i bought a 1.5lb folding anchor from Turners. Its designed for a float tube and has a hand wind and rope attached.

All the above is my current setup on my wilderness system, I may change it around for my xfactor.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

Hey Broke,

Wait a few trips before you spend money on anything except the Life Jacket.

Buy USED!

Oh, and don't forget: buy Used!

A lot of the guys here (fishermen in general) are equipment addicts, they buy new rods, reels, FFetc just because......Buy their good used stuff.

Great deals on here if you are patient. Matt
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
I'll toss in my 2 cents. You don't have to be a huge hurry to get every thing on the kayak. For sure life jacket is essential. You might want to fish your kayak a few times and find out how and where you want things, and if you need them at all. If you're super new to kayak fishing you might want to start in the bay with one rod and one plano box and move up from there as you get more confident and experienced. Just a thought. Mike
I agree. You really won't know what works or doesn't work for you until you are on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
That's one thing that no money or no one here can provide.... MORE time to fish!!!
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
jorluivil

-You're going to need a second job.
-If you're married you will need a third job: one to pay for your kayak accessories and the other to pay for the gifts you'll need to buy your wife so she can leave you alone while you work on your yak.
-There are only 24hrs in a day, you need to find a way to stretch that to 35hrs a day.
-Almost forgot the most important one: patience you'll need lots and lots of patience.

P.S.
welcome aboard
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
BrokeLoser

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I'm headed down to OEX today with some dough.
Now I just have to figure out how to pay my mortgage payment.
I'm already addicted and haven't even had in the water yet....WTF!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
OUTBACK SPECIAL

Stealth 14

I have a Stealth 14 and I love it. I found a "milk Crate" at Office max that fits perfect in the aft area. I attached a three rod holder to the crate and added leashes for each rod holder. I also added a rudder to mine it helps a lot on long paddles. You definatly want to use a timer switch for your bait pump. I use a 6 volt 12 Amp Hour battery for the pump and a 12 volt for the FF. If you want to check out how I set up mine I live in Rancho Cucamonga. The Stealth 14 is a great boat and you have room for any set up you like. I like to keep it simple. Mike
OUTBACK SPECIAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTBACK SPECIAL View Post
I have a Stealth 14 and I love it. I found a "milk Crate" at Office max that fits perfect in the aft area. I attached a three rod holder to the crate and added leashes for each rod holder. I also added a rudder to mine it helps a lot on long paddles. You definatly want to use a timer switch for your bait pump. I use a 6 volt 12 Amp Hour battery for the pump and a 12 volt for the FF. If you want to check out how I set up mine I live in Rancho Cucamonga. The Stealth 14 is a great boat and you have room for any set up you like. I like to keep it simple. Mike

Hey Mike...you're just up the road from me, I might take you up on checking out your setup....thanks.
I'm going to OEX today so hopefully I'll see some stuff there I like too. Sounds like the bait tank timer is a must have.