Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
kurtfish

Calm Before the Storm, Not Mark your calenders for July 23rd & 34th

It was a mess off LJ yesterday afternoon with 2 to 3 foot cresting waves made making bait quite challenging and tying into the kelp even more difficult. Only one free diver anchored in the kelp with his watch barking at me and the wind. I was only able to make a couple baits near the reserve birds were working a couple miles offshore but I could not or decided it did not make sense to try to get out the them. The kayak photo guide endoed in the wind swell as he landed with a family tour that mostly rolled in their return in the surf. I fell out of my PA as I tried to keep dry with my SUP technique heading out. My waders and spash jacket keep me somewhat dry but the entry challenges should have been enough to turn me around. However, the images of a dozen WSB spotted so far this year kept me on course with my mirage drive moving me forward. I was hoping for one last run before the next storm but I seemed to be heading into the first round of later afternooon wind. I would suggest that you stay home and watch the Aztecs at 11am, CBS Sat am instead of trying to head out this weekend.

Mark your calendars for July 23rd and 24th for the Bill Poole Memorial Fishing Tournament. A kayak division will be included once again and if I can generate some interest from the Speros we are open to a spear fishing division as well. Yellowtail, Tuna, Hali, and of course WSB will be part of this tournament with all proceeds going to Hubbs WSB stocking program that has put 1.8 million WSB fingerlings into our local waters over the past 20 years. Don't even try to tell me that all these stocked fish did not contribute to the incredible WSB fishing we enjoyed last year. Please PM me if you might be able to offer any item or service for the silent auction that will be part of the bbq banquet on Sunday the 24th. Any Speros that may have an interest in joining our tournament committee to help garner interest form your community please PM me as well. For more info on all Hubbs great work, www.hswri.org

I apprecaite your consideration, Kurt
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
onetriphudson

Too bad about the weather, Bill Poole was a great man and I'm glad to hear that his name is being put to a great cause!
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
sdfisher

I went down to the launch around 12 yesterday and sat and looked at the water for 30 mins trying to decide if I wanted to go out or not, made my mind up that i would rather not battle the strong cold wind and headed home.
dolphins were chasing fish in the surf and the birds were crashing bait, surprised you didn't have any luck, fishing is usually good when low pressure moves in
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
umtduckhead

kurt you shouldve called me... id wouldve battled it with you..sunday looks like it might be a decent day and all of next week is looking to be in the 60deg temps... HELLO WSB
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #5
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtfish View Post
.Don't even try to tell me that all these stocked fish did not contribute to the incredible WSB fishing we enjoyed last year. For more info on all Hubbs great work, www.hswri.org
I don't think anyone can argue with that. Hubbs-Seaworld does great work

Don't forget to turn in your heads.

http://www.hswri.org/media/White_Seabass_Handout_2b.pdf

thanks for the report!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
I don't think anyone can argue with that. Hubbs-Seaworld does great work

Don't forget to turn in your heads.

http://www.hswri.org/media/White_Seabass_Handout_2b.pdf

thanks for the report!
I still have heads sitting in the freezer.... gotta go turn em in. Thanks for the reminder O-Dawg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I still have heads sitting in the freezer.... gotta go turn em in. Thanks for the reminder O-Dawg
Did you see this?

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...out-hubbs.html

If this is true you are stoked! Wish I had saved mine to turn them in now... the odds are in your favor, unless things pick up

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
mckenzie

CAN'T WAIT!!!
mckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote