Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
jorluivil

2011 WCW Jackpot - Beginners Luck

I wish.

I got out for a few hours and dragged things around for a bit and tossed some plastic for nada. I started heading in as soon as someone opened the windows and thank God I did because as soon as I landed the wind starting getting nasty.

Anyway, wasn't the kayak scoop of bait only $5 last year? I stopped at the bait barge and asked for the yakkers special and was told it was $10. I told him I didn't need that much bait and was only planning on fishing for a little while, got no response so I moved on. Anyway, is it just me or was it always $10?

By way, does anyone know why they're dumping all this material in Cabrillo?

jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
dxrat
Junior

The bait went up more then a year ago. Still worth it and he will usually refill you if needed.

They are making the shallow water habitat larger. That is why they are dumping more dirt.
dxrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrat View Post
The bait went up more then a year ago. Still worth it and he will usually refill you if needed.

They are making the shallow water habitat larger. That is why they are dumping more dirt.
Makes sense now. The last time that I fished Cabrillo and bought bait there was approx April or May of 2009.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
dorado50

Thats a bummer, I think that a 10 lb. hali is equal to a 40lb. yellowtail ! You would of been in the money. Looks like a nice day anyway....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
dfroggy54
Rolly

does nebody know if they sell mini scoops in Sd bay? if so wadda they charge?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Thats a bummer, I think that a 10 lb. hali is equal to a 40lb. yellowtail ! You would of been in the money. Looks like a nice day anyway....
10 pound Hali, zero WCW jp dollars. 19 pound 15 oz Hali, zero WCW jp dollars. Either one as a new PB priceless.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
GregAndrew

They have been dumping in that rocky clean fill for months now. I think it has to do with some dredging in other parts of the harbor for shipping/docking. Seems they have to keep some kind of balance of shallow to deeper water. The good news is that there should be some major kelp areas in a couple of years with all the new rock.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
jhook

Nice Pics!
jhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
carbonbass

is that the wall? is it sketch to paddle out to it? (if the wind kicked in and you were at it would you be ok on the way in?) Ive paddled to the oil islands before but never to the wall.

Edit:my bad didnt read that it was cabrillo and didnt see the pics clear enough i guess. How far off the beach is that kelp line your fishing?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
is that the wall? is it sketch to paddle out to it? (if the wind kicked in and you were at it would you be ok on the way in?) Ive paddled to the oil islands before but never to the wall.

Edit:my bad didnt read that it was cabrillo and didnt see the pics clear enough i guess. How far off the beach is that kelp line your fishing?

The paddle from the beach to the wall is somewhat equal to the paddle from the beach off Ocean to the oil islands. The paddle back wasn't to bad, I did have head winds but managed to get back without having to worry about whether or not I would get tired.

I wanted to launch on the open side but the parking lot that turns into the breakwall was closed for filming, I think the security guard said they were filming X-Men. The paddle from the beach on the open side to the kelp is short, probably 200 yards. However, the launch and landing on the open side can make a a particular part of your body pukker up