Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Scupper pro or Malibu extreme

Going to grab another yak, which is a better kayak? Im looking for stability, room and quickness.

Please give me your thoughts

Thanks in advance
supaboy1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

Wow going old school with both of these choices. Personally I would pick the Scupper Pro, but only because I spent countless hours in one. It is in no way a real stable kayak and there is not a lot of room. But it is a proven fishing machine for those that like a great paddling kayak and is relatively light in weight. One of the best paddling fishing kayaks to ever hit the water. The learning curve on getting comfortable and feeling real stable in the Scupper Pro is a bit longer than most other boats out there but if you take the time to get comfortable it is an awesome boat. Landed my first Marlin and many more plus my biggest ever Thresher of 172 pounds on a SPTW.
If you are not a big guy and you like to go a bit more minimal with gear it is great.

We used to say Extreme was just short for Extremely heavy but with the weight of the current kayaks I don't think I would even say that any more. I was never a fan of the hull design of this boat but in its day it was popular with a bunch of guys.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
mrJB

I've owned two eXtremes and currently have a Scupper Pro in the garage as my second/camping 'yak...

To add to what Jim is saying: the eXtreme is heavy, especially on land, paddles just OK, very stable. The early ones had an interior foam lining, making them even slightly heavier. Lots of room for lots of gear. Lousy resale value in today's times.

The scupper Pro is light, paddles very nicely, fast under paddle, not super stable. Decent resale value, still very popular in Hawaii.

Both about 15' in length, as I remember the eXtreme was about 31.5" wide, the Scupper Pro about 27"-ish...

If I was just a beginner I might go for the eXtreme for it's stability, if I was a more experienced paddler and relatively light in body weight, I would go for the Scupper Pro.

My $.02 but I've owned them both...
Old 08-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

I'm 5'8" about 205 I wouldn't say I'm a complete beginner but I'm not advanced at all. I've been in LA Jolla 2 times. I have a stealth 12 right now and feel like its a beast and slow as heck, I don't know its because I got a fat @$$ or if its just how the hull performs. It's very stable but I would gladly trade a little of the stability for some more speed because I'm tired before half the day is over.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Jim Sammons LJKF

If an older boat is what you are looking for that I am sure you could find for a decent price. You might want to look at a Prowler 15 or 13 or a Trident 15 or 13. Any of these boats are going to paddle much better than what you are used to and have more volume and stability than the SPTW. The Trident having the advantage of having the center hatch over the Prowler.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

I had a SPTW as my first boat - actually was Jims marlin yak. Served me well until I switched to a prowler 15, which I later learned was rhynos from the thresher videos. Now have the Trident 15 to fill that spot in the fleet. Really love the center hatch on the trident
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
supaboy1981
Pro @ not catching fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
If an older boat is what you are looking for that I am sure you could find for a decent price. You might want to look at a Prowler 15 or 13 or a Trident 15 or 13. Any of these boats are going to paddle much better than what you are used to and have more volume and stability than the SPTW. The Trident having the advantage of having the center hatch over the Prowler.
What about a perception 15 kayak? They have a center hatch. This one specifically

Last edited by supaboy1981; 08-24-2015 at 10:58 PM.