Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #21
Iceman
Administrator

Can anyone recommend a good knot for tying 4# main line to 100# leader
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #22
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Double uni to uni with a Bimini twist on the main line, triple granny with a surgeon's loop on the leader and crimps on each tag end. That'll do ya'
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
Billy V

That same double knot I tie on my sneaker everyday holds like a SOB.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

umkay

[quote=THE DARKHORSE;23895]I'm a big fan of C and R, but if there ever was a species that is thriveing and in need of being put in check the Thresher Shark (in local waters) is it.

Right on, great advice there,

"An examination of the historical fishing and length frequency data from the CA/OR driftnet fishery indicated that west coast thresher shark stocks over fished in the early 1980s were rebounding in response to fishing regulations introduced in the mid-1980s.
"

True, but isn't ca their spawning grounds?
http://swfsc.noaa.gov/textblock.aspx...uId=123&id=972
"; birth is thought to occur in the spring months off California, judging from the cluster of postpartum-sized pups taken in the catch at this time."

and didn't we just learn something about our past...
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=3315
Totoaba, a giant croaker

In my own opinion, I think the thresher shark fishery could go downhill, again, quite rapidly... and does anybody really know

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/Fish/Galler...sherShark.html
"The thresher shark is considered a "Data Deficient" species by the World Conservation Union (IUCN). A taxon is considered "Data Deficient" when there is inadequate information to make a direct, or indirect, assessment of its risk of extinction based on its distribution and/or population status. This species is on its way to recovery in waters off the coast of California due largely to fishery management measures and is now considered "Near Threatened" in this region."

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
madscientist

The idea that the T shark population is thriving because there is a good 2 or 3 weeks of fishing for them in LJ seems pretty flimsy. I know many long time boaters who feel that the explosion of internet fishing has hugely increased the number of guys out there successfully targeting T's, the effect of which remains to be seen.

Personally, I find threshers to be magnificent animals. I've taken them in the past and will do so again, but I hope we have the chance to tangle with them for many years to come.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #26
aguachico

I've seen pics of longliners catching green t-sharks in both US and Mexican waters. Are the LJ tsharks green T-sharks?

About 8 years ago, there were a small group of mouse trappers targeting TS in LJ. They would work at the 200ft line from the pier heading north.

As far as conservation goes, I eat one a year if possible. The DFG should step up and create a reg that is based on science instead of PETA. I do remember that when Doc Cherry was getting them off the paddle board, tsahrks were a nusance. They would steal you macs when you left the pier. Bait was tough to get at times. Imho; it seems there are less t-sharks now then 8 years ago.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Zed
BANNED

Thanks mad, that's what struck me too.

And to add, how many times have you read [on the internet] "I only take one a year, blah, blah, blah"?

Say 500 folks only taking one a year. Thats five hundred local sharks taken out of the system. There may be 500 yak fishermen that only get 1 YT a year (LJ loc's not withstanding), but a school of YT could have 500 fish. A school of sharks is maybe 5. Just thinking aloud.

I think once one starts the thresher fishing, it evens out because there is a realization that releases become a better option, vs the PITA of the kill/paddle/clean/disposal/storage/possible waste.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #28
dos ballenas

"Common threshers are dark green, Bigeye threshers are brown and Pelagic threshers are generally blue. Lighting conditions and water clarity can affect how any one shark appears to an observer, but the color test is generally supported when other features are examined."

It's also called blue thresher, green thresher, longtail shark, swiveltail, fox shark, or sea fox...

This year seems to be much slower than last year already... if you do decide to keep one let me know...if you can deliver the stomach and any other stats I can add it to a local study being done...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thanks all for the advice and comments! I don't know about the current state of the Thresher population and or it's conservation. I just know I am still psyched two days later, and will go out tonight to make myself available for that rematch! I just hope "It" shows. Maybe this time I will save a little bit of energy to remember that little lever on the right side of my reel when I get it boatside!

Cheers all!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
THE DARKHORSE

UMKAY....

Being a surfer for close to twenty-five years now I have a deal with sharks. Being blessed (I think), with an opportunity to witness more than one Great White Shark from the perspective of the water on seperate occasions has probably affected my descision. A sort of "get out of jail free" with all shark species if you will. I have "never" harvested a shark and never will (Thresher, Mako, Leopard). Anyone who knows me personally will attest to my practices of C and R. This includes big White Seabass, Yellowtail, and Halibut (not only sharks). I'm certainly no Marine Biolagist and would agree with the insufficient data aspect concerning all marine species (unless it's a fish-tank obvious challenges at work). That being said, I always change my fishing practices this time of year. This would include not even putting bait in the water (strictly sight fishing) and virtually eliminating annoying ("annoying to me", going through a whole roll of flouro in a day, countless hooks, and possibly harming "pups") by-catch. O.K., I will retract my loose-phraseing of "thriveing" and replace that with my "personal opinion" of healthy stock. I thought my post was a simple contrast to my status quote of "secret guy". I just wanted to know how it feels to tell people " go get one" and maybe make their day if not year. Considering how this is so well received concerning White Seabass posts (a fish that I have spent thirty, twelve hour days out of the last two months buried in the kelp without "one to show for it".

Not being a Marine Biolagist and admittingly ignorant on this subject, it's "my opinion" that the average "fishing once a month kayak angler" would be hard pressed to affect the overall Thresher stock. Of coarse, using the "Bloody Decks supposed rule of one a year in" in mind. This combined with the fact that "true breeder size sharks responsible for the majority of reproduction" are almost impossible to "land" from a kayak (even the most experienced angler with a 30 wide and support group).

An experiment from a simple fisherman not to be confused with a "Marine biolagist" : While not even dragging bait to lower chances of "annoying by-catch", one cast all day with the iron and guess what I caught.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #31
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
An experiment from a simple fisherman not to be confused with a "Marine biolagist" : While not even dragging bait to lower chances of "annoying by-catch", one cast all day with the iron and guess what I caught.
And obviously a great cast, Josh!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #32
dos ballenas

"
Not being a Marine Biolagist and admittingly ignorant on this subject, it's "my opinion" that the average "fishing once a month kayak angler" would be hard pressed to affect the overall Thresher stock. Of coarse, using the "Bloody Decks supposed rule of one a year in" in mind. This combined with the fact that "true breeder size sharks responsible for the majority of reproduction" are almost impossible to "land" from a kayak (even the most experienced angler with a 30 wide and support group).
[/quote]

Thats fine, most on this site aren't marine biolOgists either, who said I was, I used google
That being said, I feel that you deserve the respect you have earned as a kayak fisherman in WCW 07, and there are many others out there that take what you have to say to heart, and being in your position you have the power to influence and inspire. Use it wisely... and the perks will keep coming.

Its true the average size fish a kayak will take is gonna be under 100 lbs, aka a pup...
If the kayakers work together with the guys from BD killing all the breaders maybe we can drive them T sharks to extinction slow to grow, let them go, except for calicos that is
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #33
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
"
slow to grow, let them go, except for calicos that is
Now you're talking!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #34
yani

Can we eat now??

Yani