Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Anthony179
A.T.

Kayak For A Big Person

I have a friend that is 6' tall and weights around 300lbs. So he asked me if there is a kayak for his size. I told him to try a Bass Tracker boat. Big enough for him. LOL. Is there a kayak that is good for his size?
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Most of the kayak manufacturers make a large capacity kayak. Cobra makes the Fish N Dive, Ocean Kayak has the Prowler Big Game and Malibu has the Stealth 14 and X-Factor. Both the Prowler Big Game and the Fish N Dive are around 12 feet long. The Stealth and the X-Factor are over 14". I think you will find that the Malibu yaks are faster and track better. The best thing to do is try out several models to see which one is the best fit. OEX in Mission Bay has the Malibu yaks. They might even have access to a Big Game for a test paddle. OEX in Kearney Mesa has the Prowler Big Game and can probably arrange for a test paddle.

OEX has had some killer deals on X-Factors lately. Your friend might want to check them out at the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar. There will probably be good deals to be had.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
GregAndrew

If your friend is from Ontario also, it would be a shorter drive to OEX Sunset Beach. I am sure Andy can hook you up for some test paddles there. The Ocean Kayak Trident 15 would also be a possibility at his size too. It is 15 1/2 feet long but only 29 inches wide, so it is also faster than the Big Game and Fish and Dive kayaks.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

There is a guy named Larry who frequently visits this forum. He is larger than your friend and has just spent a bunch of time tricking out what he calls the "Big Man's Kayak".

Hook up with Larry, who also goes by "The Cali Hookup" and you may find that he can share some useful info.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
fishes

I'm the same size as your friend (Doug can second that) and I paddle an older Prowler 15. While it works fine for now, I am currently looking into the OK Trident 15 as well as the X-Factor. The Trident is a bit more in terms of cost when compared to the great deals OEX MB offers but I am still torn.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
MalibuJohnny

X Factor

Get one or at least try one out with Iceman at OEX Sunset Beach...
I have one and I not a small guy...not tall either...love it!

Have stood on it while fishing NPB...put two of my kids on it. Its a tank! (battleship)

It isnt the fastest but it is the most stable...in fact here is proof

Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
WahooUSMA

Big Man

I am 6-2 and 265 - No comments Premo, Kent or Josh! I had the X-Factor and while it is a nice and comfortable yak, it is as slow as they come. Even worse, when battling wind or currents, its tough. I have the Hobie Revo now and wouldn't trade it for the world. Currently, I am looking at the trident 15 or tarpon 160i for a back-up yak for my lazy ass friends. Both of these kayaks paddle well and will support big guys...Just my .02!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Sherm

I have to disagree. The Fish n Dive is the biggest barge on the water. I have been paddling one for 6 years and can attest to its slowness. Tons of storage and very stable though.

The wind effects it as well. Go down to OEX and try some out.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Gino

I would recomend only 3 boats for a guy that size. especially for a first kayak.

Malibu X-factor (be carefull of the back hatch if you have a larger bait tank)
Cobra Fish N' Dive
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game.

I wouldnt go with anything Narrower than 31 inches for a guy weighing 300lbs. The higher you sit out of the water, the more tippy your kayak will be. So if your a guy that size and that tall, your probebly all Torso and have short legs.

I can see if your around 260, You can get away with going with a narrower(but longer) Kayak. But at 300lbs your pushing your limit. Any one of those 3 kayaks mentioned would definately work.

Last edited by Gino; 03-18-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: i candt swpeel reealy rell :P
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Let's not forget the mighty Ocean Kayak Drifter. Very wet (like siting in your bathtub), doesn't track well (like paddling a bathtub), very slow (again; like paddling a bathtub), but a more stable kayak you will never find (well, maybe a Pro-Angler). My Drifter couldn't keep up with a Fish N Dive
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony179 View Post
I have a friend that is 6' tall and weights around 300lbs. So he asked me if there is a kayak for his size. I told him to try a Bass Tracker boat. Big enough for him. LOL. Is there a kayak that is good for his size?
I know a lot of people who are about the size you are saying that have Yaks. Dude test paddle some at OEX and get the one that's best for you, and get out there. I've gone once and I'm hooked and can't wait to get out again.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
bellcon

6'-4"
250-ish
Trident 15
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote