Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
T Bone

Fishing the PM shift

Well. my LaJolla Job finally started.Its at the scripps/UCSD medical center at the 5 and Genesse.I am going to stay local next week and am going to hit the shores after work since the time change is tomorrow I expect it to be light until about 7(I get off at 3)I have a few questions.

1) What is the state of the launch and can we drive onto the beach.with only a few hrs I may take my skiff and cover more ground.

2) What has the bait situation been like at the pier in case I go for hali's (Where are the hali's for that matter)

My kayak is a wheat colored Big Game.Let me know what works from 3-7pm.Thanks.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

The beach access was still blocked with the K rail on Thursday. The hole has filled in and it would probably be doable in a 4WD.

There has been lots of bait out around the kelp. Save time, skip the pier and head right to the kelp.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
T Bone

So are you guys just parking in the lot and using your wheels or are we able to drop off in the street close enough to the sand.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
greenscales
greenscales

no vehicle access

The Lifeguards are now telling people not to drive on the beach because you have to go over a curb (the city is worried about liabilities). I would recommend not pushing the issue and carry/use wheels. We do not need them going against us as well. Most of the lifeguards are on our side, we need all the support we can get.

You can park at the end of the street for 15 minutes, but watch for the parking guys, they will cite you if you aren't near by, regardless of time.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
T Bone

I met a few of you guys out there,I came home today had to get with the family.I the right kind yesterday at 6 PM.Hit like a freight train and got hopelessly tangled in the kelp.To my own fault I didnt have a kelp cutter rig setup.That wont happen again.Its been haunting me ALL day.To the guy coming in with the WSB tuesday in the green revo,that greenie did the trick in 20' water over the canopy...
I will be out again thursday evening.And cant get out next week because my son will be back in the hospital.Hopefully the macs will be more plentiful than smelt.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
jgoertz
Junior

Hi T-Bone,

That was me in the green revo yesterday. Glad I passed on the lucky macs to ya. Your partner hooked me up with a beer on the happy paddle in and that was the best tasting beverage of the year. Hope to see you out on the water soon.
jgoertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
T Bone

today is the day...

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
T Bone

to another... I stayed out till 8:15 in trunks trying to get another bite but it didnt happen.Nasty when I paddled out.I fished DEEP in the kelp in a huge pothole.greenie got bit close to the bottom.a kelp wrap and then pop.I am bummed....