Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
yaky yak

Fishing close or in kelp?

I need a little advice on how to fish the kelp. My mac on a slideing sinker rig got tangled every time I dropped it. High, low it didn't matter. It seem fly lining would be worse. Maybe a drooper (sp?) rig . I not asking for secrets just some pointers. I was using 55# braid and 40 floro and was able to pull free each time, but it was hard on the bait. Any advice on Landing a big fish in the kelp? I'll be out there soon at twilight, advice or not, I've got a lot of hours invested in a WSB and I'm still trying. Thanks for any advice
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
T Bone

Kelp fishing techniques

After a few missed oportunities this week I have learned a few things.One I am out of shape after working 8 hrs construction and then charging outside it took its toll on me this week.two,It does me no good to hook big fish while potholing if there is little to no chance of landing them.I farmed 3 fish this week and since I dont want to move to Iowa I have come to the forum for help.
After tuesdays debocle I rigged two riggs kelp cutter style with about 6' mono 30 and 40# over spectra 50 and 65#.Thursday I paddled out in crappy conditions(Charged by adrenaline) I was able to make spanish and greenies of the perfect size while weeding out lots of smelt.Thinking I could somehow conquer any kelp situation I foolishly charged in deep and fished a huge pothole.It was beautiful and the wind was dying down too.I tied off to a stringer and let 2 greenies down.One a few cranks off the bottom and one in midwater.I hooked up on the bottom rig.solid but nothing compared to tuesdays fish(made me think tuesdays was big YT.It honestly pulled as hard as my 100# T shark but straight into the kelp)lots of headshakes(Hali?)this guy came unbuttoned.Midwater mac gets bumped but doesnt stick.I re-rig bottom greenie and after a few it gets a solid hookup.This fish was much better than the first(But still nothing like tuesday)after pulling on several fish this week(I SUCK!!!) I am SURE this was a good WSB.I am on for a while and make headway.I thought I could feel the spectra cutting through a few strands of kelp but maybe I was imagining it.Anyways it ended in heartbreak too with the knot breaking at the hook(40# p line and a double san diego tied right)am I cursed or what.I was really walking on sunshine a few times only to be crushed.I notice that most people fish outside the edges.Is that where I should be?Any help would be appreciated.I realize hook to land ratio would drop significantly while in deep but I am wondering if its worth it.With all the crap going on with my boy I really would like to catch something decent soon, it goes a long ways in lifting my spirits.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
T Bone

Wow.It looks like I was typing a similar post/question at the same time.I am having a different problem with my bait though.It does its job and then I screw it up on my end.I see you like in Ontario.I grew up there.I live in Chino now.Maybe we can fish together some time...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
lamb

Fishing in the kelp and outside of the kelp are 2 very different things.

When in the kelp, you pick your spot and anchor/tie to a stringer. Drop whatever you're fishing on down, how ever deep you think the fish are, and wait... You generally put a bit more weight so your live bait can't go to town, get itself tangled. Really boring up until you get picked up, if it ever happens.

Working outside of the kelpline I like. A lot of it you control, but you have to be aware of the kelp around you/under you, try not to get too close so your bait ends up tangled in the stringers. It helps to keep moving - you cover more ground, plus you don't let that mac swim too deep and bury itself in the stringers. As you stop, your macs will likely go deeper. If you're trolling two greenies behind you, you never know if your "high" one is really closer to the surface than your "low" one. On the clicker, they can swim wherever they want. Then if one of them gets tangled, you stop to take care of that, the other one finds a way to do the same - gets pretty frustrating. If I fish close to the kelp, I often choose to have only one line in the water, with very little or no weight on it.

It helps if the current is ripping - it pins the kelp down so you have more of an area of submerged kelp, more of a stringer free chunk of upper column water... not to mention that it generally gets fish on the roll.

Now, actually landing one once you hook up... Well I'm sure you'll find various preferences.

When after WSB in the kelp, I like fishing tight drags and use really noodly lighter grade rods that absorb those violent head-shakes you'll get right after the hook up. I try not to let them get into the salad too deep. As you feel the stringer rubbing, keep the pressure on - given you got spectra and the fish is green, the fish will help you get out of trouble, cut the stringer(s). Keep that pressure on, try to constantly turn their head toward you. The first minute is usually intense, but they loose some steam after that and becomes a little easier.

It the fish does get stuck in the kelp, don't rush it. Take your time, work it, don't pull too hard. Do the tug war, give some line to the fish, take it back... try to move around, change the angle... Just don't get frustrated so you pull too hard, too soon.... and break your line and your heart.

Or even better - call nearby spearo to help you out
(note for WCW - those fish are not eligible for submission ).
Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
T Bone

does kelp have micro-organisms(barnacle type things) attached to it?I looked at the end of my 40# and its very chalky and frayed.Should I use spectra and flouro?

Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
bluesquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post

Or even better - call nearby spearo to help you out
Would be happy to help. Mango X-Factor or yellow Mini-X. Sunday am is my regular slot.