Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Motor Head....

Well guys and gals I have to depart from Kayak fishing for awhile. My son is not strong enough to get out an pedal around the bays/ocean (He has a Hobie sport) and I just sold my older Outback. One day I will be back or find a cheap kayak and just paddle out. Gonna miss the kayak thing.. I am looking for a boat that I can take my son and daughter skiing and my father fishing on fresh and salt water some kind of hybrid boat. My dad is getting up there in age an I want to spend more time with him, the boat is the answer for us. I have to put my personal pursuit of WSB, YT and HB (never caught one although I did hook up a Threasher once but broke my 65 lb. braid) on hold as family interests are the current focus. Can you (Kayaking community) make any suggestions on a hybrid boat as I know you all do more than kayak. Most likely gonna go new as I dont want to have any problems for a long time. But the cash cap is not that high...Cant do the 30K+..Some day you will see me back on a ratty old kayak throwing irons if the MLPA does not keep me out. If anyone is interested in a good condition Hobie Sport hit me up. I have enjoyed this forum and learned a lot! Really enjoyed the tournament that Jim Sammons put on lasty year as I am a rookie, although I did not catch anything but macs.. You all be good to the ocean and she will repay you with beautiful sunsets and a great dinner....
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
dorado50

If buying a used outboard you are buying the engine not the boat! If buying an inboard buy a diesel engine. I doubt you will ever come across a boat that doesn't have a problem or two(new or used). Good luck out there...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
fishinkid2010

One you might consider is a Boston Whaler Montauk 170, or my personal choice would be something like a Ranger Bay and Bass, or a similar center console Parker.
Honestly, what will be more important than brand is your motors; both trolling and outboard. Go with a 4 stroke, don't even look at 2 strokes if you want it for both fresh and salt. Being in Kalifornia we have to deal with lakes that do not allow 2 strokes. (DVL comes to mind) also a trolling motor is a must if you plan to do any bass fishing. Minn Kota's are my favorite, but the boat we fish tournaments in has a Motorguide and it runs great too. Get one made for salt water so that you don't have to deal with corrosion issues.

Good luck with your purchase and post pictures after you buy it!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote