Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #21
madscientist

They both have been leaving me alone for a while but that might be because I very conspicuously pull out my camera and grab my radio anytime I see them aimed my way. I think knowing there will be witnesses and photo documentation discourages the asshole behavior.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #22
dorado50

Thanks for the tips all, I have'nt been assualted yet, only aimed at, But I will say this, all navigational laws apply to any vessel, regardless of size. A sure method to get these foul captains off our waterways is to hoist a divers flag on your boat and any encroachment within a certain amount of feet or yards is an offense of navigational law !!! My camera will be armed and ready to shoot.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #23
woolybugger

the New Seaforth definetly needs to cool it they don't care in the least about the kayakers on the water
Old 06-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #24
pchen911

That really sucks to know that they are doing this again.... (About the New Seaforth).

And to think I actually took groups of my friends out on their boat several times in the past... Including a couple of months ago. Now I wish I hadn't patronized their business.

I'll be looking for another charter boat company to use for the future.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM   #25
fishkiller89
Junior

Send a message via AIM to fishkiller89 Send a message via Yahoo to fishkiller89
i went on one of the sport boats out of sea forth and there was a yaker fishing in the chum line that the deckhands had set up, so the captain started throughing irons at him!!! i was like is that necissary.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
h2ofishfo

i have fished on the new seaforths 3/4 day boat the dude would cut peoples lobster trap bouys & wake people he doesnt care bout nuttin f him
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #27
fishkiller89
Junior

i agree
Old 06-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
Brian Sanner

I like Wavsters idea of photo documentation,....seeing is believing, especially when brought to the C.G. and the landing. I would love to see his stupid face poking out the window as he attempts to swamp me and throw a egg right in his dumb pie hole. He did the exact same thing to me in 2005. Not sure if it was the same captain but it's like a prerequesite for any one who drives their boats I guess. They should have a banner across the window of the wheel house saying "total disregard for human life and safety training boat". Sooner than later, it's going to catch up to him in a big way.
Brian Sanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
Kelp King

Send a message via AIM to Kelp King
Do you guys ever fire off a jig towards a sportie when they buzz you like that? That would be the first thing I would do. It may not be the "proper" way to handle the situation, but it would get the point across.
Kelp King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #30
fishkiller89
Junior

the scary part about that is that they have a motor and you dont!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #31
Siebler

Dont go screwing with the Crew. Those guys work hard for little money as it is without somebody making their life harder thinking that itll hurt the captian. Trust me IT WONT, Jason is known as Ol' Dock 'n Dash, He doesnt clean the boat, his crew does. They are a great couple of guys, why make their life harder for no reason?

And Firing a jig at the boat will get you nowhere, Except maybe in trouble. Its not going to damage the boat, its alluminum.

While there is no reason for these guys to get close, Remember guys, The speed thing is because these boats IDLE at 7knts or so and the move a lot of water, which means that even at idle speed they make substantial wake.

Tim ran the boat today not Jason so if you go reporting stuff know who was running the boat.

Jason is running the Boat tommorow and i will be fishing it in the PM, If he gets too close you can be sure ill say something.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #32
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Retaliation is always going to be counterproductive. Anything you do to a sport fishing boat is going to have negligible impact to the captain or the boat. It is much more likely that you will injure or piss off a paying customer. You'll also wind up with 45 witnesses. It is better to document the incident and report it to the USCG. Do it the legal way and we will eventually get rid of the bad captains. Toss an iron at a boat full of people and all kayakers are going to come out on the losing end of the battle. It kind of sucks, not getting the immediate gratification, but retaliation on the water isn't going to help. Repeated, documented reports to the CG will eventually have an impact.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #33
wildcat
Amature

Are you sure

I thought JIm Hughes owner the outer limits and worked for the CG??? I am pretty sure about that but not 100%...Those guys have been doing that to everybody for years...
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #34
DBITE

Quote:
While there is no reason for these guys to get close, Remember guys, The speed thing is because these boats IDLE at 7knts or so and the move a lot of water, which means that even at idle speed they make substantial wake.
Its funny how the same style boats never seem to throw a wake when they pass me in the commercial basin of SD Bay, and they're definitely not doing 7 knots at idle. If for some reason the slowest this boat can do is 7 knots (8+ mph) then all we have to do is report him to the Coast Guard or Harbor Police every time he attempts to enter or exit the bay.

Mission Bay Vessel Speed

The speed limit on Mission Bay from sunset to sunrise is five (5) miles per hour. At other times, certain areas have a designated speed limit of five (5) miles per hour or less. These include:

Wherever buoys are posted with a five (5) mile per hour limit
Near bridges
Within 100 feet of shore
Within 100 feet of another vessel

Controlled Speed Areas
Speed limits are posted on buoys and signs.
The nighttime speed limit is 5 knots in all areas of the bay.
The speed limit is 5 mph within 100 feet of any other vessel, within 100 feet of the shoreline, within 200 feet of any dock or float, and under any bridges.
The speed limit is limited to steerage way only in all marina areas and basins.
The speed limit in Sail Bay is limited to 5 mph 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. from May 1 through Oct. 31.
Open Speed Areas Fiesta Bay, in the eastern half of Mission Bay, is the only area with no daytime speed limits, except the specific situations listed above.

Last edited by DBITE; 06-05-2007 at 07:55 PM.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #35
Dupree

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
On Sunday I was approached the same way early in the AM. I was way out & alone since 5am.
The New Seaforth aimed right at me then turned at the last minute (about 20 yards away.
I got swamped and the Captain just stared me down.

To make a long story short, I called the Coast Guard yesterday and spoke with an investigator
for about 30 minutes. They've told me that the New Seaforth has had several
complaints filed against them.

Being a vigilante isn't the right way to go. Use the legal system. The CG has the
power to revoke their commercial license, so that's the way I'm going to go. Also,
taking pictures of the boat/captain when being buzzed will go a long way if legal
action is pursued.

Just my 2 cents.

All of those vessels have log books so there shouldn't be any problem ID'ing the Skipper in Charge on any given day. I think photos w/ dates could help build a strong case. That stuff just shouldn't be happening.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #36
Siebler

Trust me the NSF idles at 7knts and the dolphin is only a few knts behind. Not all the boats idle at high speed, The other boats i work on arnt near this fast. I work right accross the dock from the dolphin, the captians are not the best guys but there is definatly over-reaction from the kayak community on occasion.

Reporting a speed violation in the harbor to USCG just wastes your and their time, They know the RJ idles at 7knts and there is an understanding there. Its just like me telling CHP your going 70 on the 8 on your way home from fishing, its a small violation and noth worth their time.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #37
THE DARKHORSE

The iron is a Salas 7X and has been a favorite of mine for a season or two who ever is able to remove the lance from the rock will be rewarded by the bounty of the sea. I have a busted up hand to prove it as I was trying to keep him from spooling me with 40# Izorline and a newly broken Toriam 20 anti-reverse.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #38
Brad Wells
Junior

The a-hole on the seaforth zipped right up to some of us kayakers on Sunday and drops anchor. 5 minutes later a couple pbers pull up and start fishing near him. He gets on the PA and gives them crap for following him. Maybe we should all have bullhorns and yell at him. If anyone asks, I always recommend boats out of Dana Point. I'm up for puking in his tackle box or hiding dead squid in places they won't find them, let me know. Maybe we can all book spots on weekend trips and not show up.
Brad Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #39
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Trust me the NSF idles at 7knts and the dolphin is only a few knts behind. Not all the boats idle at high speed, The other boats i work on arnt near this fast. I work right accross the dock from the dolphin, the captians are not the best guys but there is definatly over-reaction from the kayak community on occasion.
I agree, but they're not always over reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Reporting a speed violation in the harbor to USCG just wastes your and their time, They know the RJ idles at 7knts and there is an understanding there. Its just like me telling CHP your going 70 on the 8 on your way home from fishing, its a small violation and noth worth their time.
Actually, if you do the math it's more like going 104 on the freeway home from fishing. Yes, I know that's not a fair comparison, but you started it.

"the RJ" - that's funny.

Sadly, this probably won't stop until something bad happens, like they flip a yaker who drowns or they hit a diver. Take pictures when you see a boat zinging other crafts, but don't chuck iron at them... that's not the smartest tactic. They are the bigger vessel and they have the right of way, but that doesn't mean they should get their jollies by waking yakers.

PS - this is a public forum. Everyone can see what you say...
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #40
tattuna

Wow! I'm surprised to hear the New Seaforth is doing that. I tattoo RJ and he's said he has nothing but respect for us out there on kayaks. I wonder if he's been driving the boat? I'm gonna call him and see what the deal is.
tattuna is offline   Reply With Quote