Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Amazingly Brutal Surf!

Wow, this morning's 4:30 am launch, if you would call it that, was brutal!
I lost count at around 8 or 9 thumpers to the chest when that black wall kept getting bigger and bigger... and then when I was certain that I was going to flip over backwards end over end, the wave broke behind my FND! Right over my head! a couple more breakers to the face and, unable to breathe from exertion, I found myself breaking free of the waves. Anyone ever see Tom Hanks get pounded in Castaway?

I saw a couple others on the beach from the water but they failed to launch through the meat grinder.

After re-organizing and re-stowing my sleigh, I headed straight to the kelp since the bait has been plentiful, today was no exception. The pier was out of the question anyway.
"Where is everyone?" No PB's, kayaks, anything until the NSF and Dolphin showed up for their round of spotty fishing. Both boats rode right up on me and proceeded to drop anchor within my iron range, which is pathetic, so I just moved on and found other spots to feed the dogs. After hooking my 8th dog I paddled North for deeper water. Along the way a pelican decided to have fun at my baits' expense, as if the dogs weren't enough.
So I decided he was more fun than feeding the dogs. It was fun to let him get enough slack to get about 200 - 300 feet away then bring him about. Just like flying a kite! So I proceeded to release him with a severe headache, tweaked neck and a pierced beak for his troubles. I guess he will be moving on to easier bait next time! The fisherman on the Dolphin were laughing so hard at me that one of them dropped their fishing hat in the water. Thanks for the hat!

After feeding a few more dogs I let the wind blow me into the landing around 12:30. I ended up sideways but upright and exhausted. Last week it was a starfish on an iron, this week birds and dogs, I really can catch anything but fish!

Scorecard for today:
Surf:12+
Fur bags: 8+
Pelicans: -1
Handyman: 0

Until Sat....(maybe... wife is having small contractions as I type... hmmmm) well until the next time I can get out! C'ya all OTW.

P.S.
Good Luck to those of you on the SCI trip tomorrow!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
frugalfisher

Wow! I'm glad I slept in today.

Thanks for the report. I'm headed for Lake Isabella and some trout fishing this weekend. i've heard the rainbows are on fire there.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
wavster

Even during the daylight, some of the set waves were a bit much. I made it out dry,
due to lucky timing, but definitely the largest surf I've launched in.

Coming in was a bit hairier and the tide was up.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Mike McFann
Junior

I thought i was a p u ss for driving all the way down from Orange and staring at the 3 second interval constant surf. So I went and launched at Dana Point Harbor for a few slimeys. The swell was like being in a washing machine at the point after dragging a greenie for a couple of hours of nothing and getting a little green I called it a day.

I am sorry your effort didn't pay off you certainly deserved it.
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
gotz togo fishin

I got spanked and served by the BIG surf this morning! launched by 5:30. The surf sounded like a ROARING lion ready to devour someone! soooo... i took a deep breath and grew a pair. I punched through the first then the second but the last wave looked like a seven foot wave! OUCH! It broke right on top of my head flipped me like a rag doll and sent me home like a mutt with his tail between his legs. That was WICKED!! two guys next to me on the sand packed up their kayaks and went back home C-YA! the last wave hit me so hard that it broke some of my rod holders and a mouting eye that supports the seat. Cost me 35 five bucks to repair at malibu kayak shop. Don't go out there unless your a good swimmer be SAFE!
gotz togo fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

The surf has definitely been up the last couple of days, lots of fun. If the surf zone was 3-4 times as long it would be reminiscent of baja. Sorry it didn't pay off.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Corey

It was pounding pretty good tonight too. Launched at 6:30 and landed at 9:30 for a couple slimers & a few dog-stolen baits. Slimers were coming 2-3' out of the water at one point. One almost landed in my boat and another almost landed in Tyler's lap. Thanks to Chris for the baits, but no love for me tonight. There were some big sets, but fortunately I timed it dry in & out.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Sure was fun surfin in tonight at 9:30 pm . Too bad I didn't have a fish on board to show for the effort.

Bring on SCI

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #9
madscientist

Dry out, dry in tonight, even with a yak leaning to the left.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Jimm H

FND technique

When I paddle the Fish N Dive with its wide prow and boyancy, the proper technique was to lean forward into the wave to keep the boat from flipping backward. Took many a wave in the piehole onit (and, as slow as it was, you spent more time trying to claw thru the breaks!)

Someone had asked recently if there ever was surf too large at LJ. Sounds like you found yours.

Taking the boat tomarrow to break in the new outboard.

Jimm H.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
mark kleiter

Sorry to hear you had it rough. Dave's Insanity hot sauce just might cure a dog or two. Need to talk personal though about a sock you have. Use the land line if o.k. Im in the book.
mark kleiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #12
gary sullivan

All the cuda you could want, many flying out of the air. That got old, but I found a big shiny thing underneath them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Dry out, dry in tonight, even with a yak leaning to the left.

I wish I had that problem !

gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote