Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
CurtyL

what ever happend to common sense? you're tax dollars at work ladies and gents. You don't need a radio, you don't need the internet. All you need is a brain. My vote is for letting those who don't have one, fend for themselves. this shit costs money.
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtyL View Post
what ever happend to common sense? you're tax dollars at work ladies and gents. You don't need a radio, you don't need the internet. All you need is a brain. My vote is for letting those who don't have one, fend for themselves. this shit costs money.
Your brain alone can't see what is going on at the beach or OTW if you live 15 miles from it. Some type of communication with weather info is still needed.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
CurtyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Your brain alone can't see what is going on at the beach or OTW if you live 15 miles from it. Some type of communication with weather info is still needed.

True, but there have been many days I have driven to LJ all geared up, took a look at the conditions - weather swell or clouds on the horizon - and said no thanks.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:

It could be a nice clear day, and then there could be a freak gust wind. You just have to be prepared.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
CurtyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
It could be a nice clear day, and then there could be a freak gust wind. You just have to be prepared.
In 8 years of this - I've never encountered a freak gust at LJ. Strong gusts that steadily built up, strong gusts I knew about on launch, winds so strong I had to paddle in to the cliffs at Bird Rock and hug the shoreline back to Shores, freak waves, freak fogs, yes...... but calm days in SD tend to stay that way.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
I hope you're not implying that they should not have been rescued, if they felt that need. Yeah, they were probably bozos for not checking on the weather, over-estimating their ability, or just being plain stupid. But, like others have pointed out, weather is sometimes unpredictable, and the predictions of the weatherman don't always happen that way.
I doubt and sure hope they just didn't think to themselves, "Hey, this shit is tiring, why don't we just call for a tow, and save the workout".
Aaron
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
CurtyL

anchors and kayaks go together like matches and gasoline.