Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
BigTunaL

Lowrance FF question

I have the coordinates of several waypoints that I would like to save to my Mark4 FF. Is there a quicker way other than manually entering them one by one? Is it possible to save them to the micro SD card? and if yes, then what software or format to use?

Thank you
BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

If you're on the water you can just mark waypoint if you find good structure and that will basically drop a saved pin on that mark. Off the water, unfortunately the only way is to plus the numbers in manually. Look at the positives, you may learn your unit a little quicker this way. And they will be accurate.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Are you asking if you can just plug the sd card into computer and save them , then transfer the card to your unit?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #4
Lipripper92592

.GPX file format should upload on the micro SD card just fine. I export the track and point files out of the Lowrance unit in .gpx format, so it should upload just fine.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
BigTunaL

Sorry for the confusion, I will re-phrase my question:

Waypoints were given to me on a piece of paper and I want to transfer them to my unit preferably not by keying them one by one on the unit itself.

I understand the .GPX is the file format compatible with the unit, but how do I create the .GPX file to be uploaded to the unit?

I am assuming that it needs to be created by a compatible software, or maybe type the coordinates in a text file and save it as .GPX

Thanks again for your input.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
GregAndrew

You can create a .gpx file on a text editor, but you cannot just save the coordinates with a .gpx extension. There is a whole format that you need to use, and you need to know the version your FF is using. Some folks on BD have created files that produce tracks for the MPA borders as an example. Unless you are fairly familiar with programming, you are better off entering manually.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTunaL View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I will re-phrase my question:

Waypoints were given to me on a piece of paper and I want to transfer them to my unit preferably not by keying them one by one on the unit itself.

I understand the .GPX is the file format compatible with the unit, but how do I create the .GPX file to be uploaded to the unit?

I am assuming that it needs to be created by a compatible software, or maybe type the coordinates in a text file and save it as .GPX

Thanks again for your input.
Global mapper will export the .gpx file once you upload/import you coordinates. It's very time consuming on the lowrance unit. There are some online Microsoft Excel to .gpx conversion software, it's free.
If you are not heavy on keeping them a secret, you could email the scanned coordinates to me, and I'll convert them to a .GPX format for you. I'm inland bound, so won't blow out your spots.

Google maps will export a .gpx file as well, check out this link
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...gle-Maps-Route

This also exports .gpx as well.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

I'm a Geographical Information Systems Analyst and the above conversions is a day to day operation for me. Global Mapper even exports to Lowarances Factory file format, meaning you could upload about any type of coordinates or background maps into the unit. You can download the free bathymetry (high res) and fill in the gaps on the lowrance units in the La Jolla area.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Deamon

Hold on, don't listen to these tech nerds. Send me the way points. I've got friends at Lowrance and we'll get them entered into your FF via satellite. Thank me later. Jim.
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Hold on, don't listen to these tech nerds. Send me the way points. I've got friends at Lowrance and we'll get them entered into your FF via satellite. Thank me later. Jim.
Lol
Old 03-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #10
BigTunaL

LOL

Old 03-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
BigTunaL

Thank you lipripper. I will try some of the links you suggested and let you know if I fail. Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
BillzBaitz

My old lowarnce you can create "NEW" waypoints without having to inport or export or do any of those things. You create the new waypoint give it a name, add in yout long and lat, add a spiffy little icon next to it.

My best advice would be read the manual. Im sure you can download the manual if you dont have it off the lowrance website.
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote