Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
catchreleaserepeat
Junior

Kayak Fishing La Jolla Shores

Hey All,

I’ve been seeing people launching kayaks from La Jolla Shores, so I’m guessing that’s an approved activity nowadays or they’re turning a blind eye. Anyone know how the fishing has been? Haven't had a chance to talk to anyone coming off the water.

Also, a quick plea for help... as a young and dumb high schooler, I bought a fishing kayak for my visits to La Jolla. I took it out probably two dozen times in the last 10 years but never took the time to learn what the hell I was doing. I grew up doing a lot of fishing, but predominantly freshwater, and just figured some of my general skills would translate and I'd be fine. (Wrong!) So as you may have guessed, I've never had a ton of luck, and definitely never properly utilized the equipment that was available to me. (ie. had a fish finder, never learned how to use it) I've caught fish, but now that I'm older (and wiser), I'm interested in learning more about how to do things right. So if anyone has any guidance on how to go about making the most of my time (I'm living here indefinitely until the coronavirus stuff sorts itself out), I'm all ears. I could use guidance on what gear to fish, how to rig it, how to fish it, what to fish for, where to fish... literally, I'll soak up any knowledge people are willing to share.

Either way, thanks in advance and hope everyone is well.
catchreleaserepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
matthew7!

La Jolla shores is open no blind eye there. I fish a ether a dropper loop or a double dropper loop for everything. Change my bait for what I’m looking for. Shrimp make sheephead, squid does well for rock fish, live bait catches almost all fish. Look for structure, or just bounce around fishing the kelp. Google maps can help you find structure, especially when rockfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
govomit

📚 ► 🐟

This site has tons of info, but you have to search for it. Use keywords like 'rig' or 'fish finder'. Or search for messages by fishing guides/gurus like Darkhorse, Jim Sammons or Greg. More than 10 years of collective memory and know-how, all you need is time.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote