Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
petegbeeman
Junior

Hobie Pursuit

Hi,

Anyone have an opinion on wether or not a Hobie Pursuit would make a good fishing vessel? I'll be fishing out of LJ, Dana Point, Redondo, etc. I'm eyeing one for sale and have heard perhaps the Pursuit may not be the most stable kayak going. I have 6-7 kayak missions under my belt and would say I'm very much a beginner. All but 1 of my trips have been on a Mirage Tandem- which would serve as a 'mothership', should I pull the trigger on the Pursuit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pete
petegbeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
petegbeeman
Junior

Anyone?
Old 05-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
igotpron
Xcoastie

Give us more intel.
How old are you?
How tall?
Weight?
Method of transport?
Kayak budget?
Primary kayak usage? (Fishing? Salt? Fresh? Etc)
What type of fishing do you do? (Live bait?, plastics?)

I personally would avoid the pursuit. Looks like one of hobies first designs. Slender, low to the water and a little tippy. And if I’m not mistaken the back storage area doesn’t have scuppers. So if you use the kayak without the hatch it will just fill with water. Not a lot of options for mounting things and will be a wet ride which for me is a deal breaker. I like being in unsoaked shorts.

Answer those questions above and we will be able to steer you in a direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
petegbeeman
Junior

Thanks for the reply!

I am 46, 5'8", 180lbs. The kayak would be riding on my Toyota Highlander(roof). As far as budget, I went half outfitting a friend on his Mirage Oasis Tandem, so I have access to all the bells and whistles. I would more often than not be going out with my buddy- the tandem serving as mothership. We have been going to LJ, Dana Point, Redondo, Newport. We are in LA.

We fly-line for yellows, fish in the rocks, the usual. We are fit, capable guys, with experience on the water, but very much rookies in the kayak realm.

I am of the understanding that the Pursuit is not what most would consider a great fishing platform, and attaching accessories, stability, etc may not be ideal. I've never been accused of being practical, but I do want to be safe. The one I'm looking at is $200/OBO, so I thought it was worth looking into.

Thanks again and I appreciate any input.

Pete
Old 05-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
igotpron
Xcoastie

Sent you a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote