Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #41
easyday

What about carrying a small signal mirror to give them a quick flash to get their attention?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I don't know if this is acceptable but I carry a wrist rocket with paintballs if they don't see my 500 lumen patrol light. If they ignore both warnings I also have a fog horn. Finally if they are bound and determined to get too close I go to my steel shot BB's and aim for the hull (at the bow where the boat rides the highest and presents a larger area where it is harder to miss and inadvertently cause collateral casualties unless there are passengers up front as in the case of center console style boats) so the sound will get their attention. I'll also video the CF# or take pics. For documentation purposes and file a report with the Coast Guard using my position as a federal D.O.T. representative so that they have to explain their irresponsible operation of a water vessel.
I did that when I was Float tubing Crowley when a guide service which will remain nameless kept speeding through Magee Bay almost swamping a number of tubers. I just happen to have my brand new video camera which I was "breaking in" documenting how close he would come to float tubers (we're talking within feet!). I called lake patrol let them review the video & got them removed for the day. I also filed a complaint against their guide license and drove up there for court to present my case and had their license suspended for 30 days. What private boaters don't realize there are waterway right of ways and safe conduct/distance regulation to protect bigger boats from smaller vessels. I don't have a problem going to court to have violators of these regulations fined.
btw: I have been chastised and fined for the use of my wrist rocket (but in that one case it was worth it).
I don't advocate the use of this kind of violence, just sharing my experience on the water.
FFY.
NO, it is not acceptable ever to use violence on the water.

Leave your rocket toys at home fool...you will end up hurting someone or getting yourself killed because of your own stupidity.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #43
MrPatrick

A wrist rocket is classified as a dangerous weapon when aimed at a person. If you brought it up in court that you were almost by their boat ,they could counter that you assaulted them by firing upon their vessel with your slingshot. It's a no win situation. Don't ask how I know about wrist rockets and the laws that govern their use.
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #44
Jimmyz123

Trust me, if you launch a projectile at someone's boat, and cause damage to that boat or anyone on the boat, or your actions cause pain or injury YOU will be held liable. There are other ways to protect yourself. Horns, whistles, and the like are the best way to go. Keep your head up and if you see a boater not paying attention, I'm sure you can get out of the way. I always have my paddle on my lap or close enough to grab and whistle attached to me. I have had some close encounters, but nothing has ever hit me. Don't launch things at others, remember you are on a Kayak and a boater can make life really ugly for you if they want to.

Common Sense, screams load and clear here.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 06-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #45
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

POwer boat vs kayak = who will win

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #46
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Trust me, if you launch a projectile at someone's boat, and cause damage to that boat or anyone on the boat, or your actions cause pain or injury YOU will be held liable. There are other ways to protect yourself. Horns, whistles, and the like are the best way to go. Keep your head up and if you see a boater not paying attention, I'm sure you can get out of the way. I always have my paddle on my lap or close enough to grab and whistle attached to me. I have had some close encounters, but nothing has ever hit me. Don't launch things at others, remember you are on a Kayak and a boater can mike life really ugly for you if they want to.

Well stated Jimmyz, at least there seems to be a few guys here that understand the consequences involved here.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #47
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Firing common sense loads is alright.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #48
buttchaser
Float Tuber

I some how missed this post from last month , Great info for all of us .....

Bump
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #49
easyday

Almost got ran over by vessel assist....the guy was looking at his phone
Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #50
CKallday71

Irony... You're doing it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Almost got ran over by vessel assist....the guy was looking at his phone