Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Sherm

Buggin in the rain 1-25-09

My wingman was down with an illness so my junior wingman took his place. The plan was to hit SD bay for some hoopin. Planned on meeting a guy (Greg) for our first time hooping together. I guess I should have told Greg where exactly we launch. I showed up and did not see him. The junior wingman forgot his head lamp and since Greg was not there we went back to get nicks head lamp.

We arrived at the launch and there was absolutely no wind on the water. The water was like a giant mirror reflecting the lights of the city. It was awesome. The tide was rippin out and it promised to be a nice paddle. About that time I see a lone kayak paddling away from the launch and knew it was Greg. That's ok....he's on the water so I knew we would find him out there. We hit the water and started our paddle. A light rain began to fall and made the paddle a little damp. No biggie....we had foul weather gear and onward we went.

We arrived at our spot and saw Greg was already there. Aplogized for being late and hoops were set. As soon as the hoops were set the rain stopped and a light wind began to blow. The 1st pull and I knew it was going to be a good night. The hoop was heavy and loaded with bugs. Many shorts with the ocassional nice one thrown in. Nick and I made a few sets and pulls and the bug numbers increased along with the WIND!!!

We pulled for a couple of hours and the wind just kept getting stronger. Nick pulled his last net to get a limit of seven. I had six in the bag and we decided to get the hell out of there.

The paddle back to the launch was like victory at sea. The tide was moving hard behind us but the wind was stronger coming right at us. Small white caps were starting to form and every little cap sent spay into our faces. A cold wet ride in but we made it. The paddle in took 30 minutes longer than normal. It's a good thing we had plenty of bugs on board to make it worth it.

A good night of buggin even if the conditions were less than ideal.
Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
FishSeeker

Way to get those BUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
yakrider

nice
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
gcsasher
Junior

Well Sherm it didn't get any better after the two of you left, I did one more pull and packed it up. It was like you said Victory at SeaI took a few over the bow and go drenched but I made it back across the bay and stopped to fish at the end of Shelter Island for awhile just got a few small bass out of the gress flats. and called it a day.
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Sherm

Next time we will make sure to show up on time and paddle/peddle out at the same time. It looked like the weather was going to get worse. How many did you end up with for the night?.

Last edited by Sherm; 01-26-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
gcsasher
Junior

Final count was 3 keepers the last pull was full of shorts and that seal came back right after you left and followed me about half way back.
gcsasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Sherm

That one seal is a mojor pain in the a$$. Wish something could be done about him. Glad you got some. I'll touch base next time we are heading out.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
BT

nicely done once again Sherm. They always say that hooping the calm before the storm is the way to go.

One of these days I will be able to get back out there. Keep in touch and hopefully I will get out there.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Sherm

You need to get out there bro. I got my biggest of the season the last time we went out together. I sent you a pm.